Thai Police Arrest Suspected Italian Fraudster On Interpol Request

webfact

Thai police arrest suspected Italian fraudster on Interpol request

CHIANG MAI: -- Thai police have arrested an Italian national on suspicion of defrauding millions of dollars from Italian financial institutions and other crimes, police said Thursday.

Stefano Raccaqni, 38, was arrested on Tuesday in Chiang Mai, 600 kilometres north of Bangkok, on a request from Italy via Interpol.

He faces charges of defrauding Italian banks and finance companies of more than 8.6 million dollars, said Police Major General Chitsanupong Yuktathad, deputy commissioner of Thailand’s immigration police.

"We have revoked Raccaqni’s visa and will deport him to Italy," Chitsanupong said.

Raccaqni is also charged with assisting tax evasion and smuggling people into Italy

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-23

Italian arrested in Thailand over $10 million fraud

BANGKOK, May 23, 2013 (AFP) - Thai authorities have arrested an Italian wanted over alleged links to a human trafficking ring which swindled around $10 million from European taxpayers and banks, immigration officials said Thursday.

Stefano Raccagni, 38, is wanted in Italy on suspicion of being part of a 12-strong Milan-based gang that smuggled people into the country to defraud tax authorities and banks, according to a Thai immigration statement.

"The Italian embassy accused him being a core member of an organised crime gang... and falsifying documents for illegal immigrants to get money from authorities and banks," the statement added, without providing further details.

The man was arrested on Tuesday in the northern city of Chiang Mai where he had settled with a Thai girlfriend since arriving in the kingdom in 2009, police told AFP.

"Italian authorities say he has around $10 million in his bank account," an immigration police officer said, requesting anonymity, adding the man was running a small loans business in the Thai city.

He will be extradited soon, the official added.

Thailand is a prime destination in Asia for people on the run from authorities in their own countries.

On Thursday immigration authorities said they had arrested a French woman on the tourist island of Samui wanted in France over an alleged $1.3 million fraud involving contracts to build homes. She will be repatriated.

In December a Thai court ordered the extradition of a former banker and Italian mafia boss accused of laundering money for two Sicilian godfathers.

Vito Roberto Palazzolo, arrested in Thailand in March 2012 after investigators tracked him down through Facebook, is considered to be a leading member of the Cosa Nostra Sicilian mafia.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-05-23

Good connections between Italy and Thailand.

Good model to ameliorate the connections between Dubai and Thailand.

No double standards please!

I may stand corrected but I think I am correct in saying that Thailand has never, going back to the days after the coup, ever requested an Interpol Red Notice for Thaksin which means he can travel to any country willing to let him in without fear of arrest and extradition.

I may stand corrected but I think I am correct in saying that Thailand has never, going back to the days after the coup, ever requested an Interpol Red Notice for Thaksin which means he can travel to any country willing to let him in without fear of arrest and extradition.

Thaksin was never listed on Interpol ......

Edited by NoBrains
  • Like 1

...defrauding Italian banks and finance companies of more than 8.6 million dollars ...

Clearly the man was misguided. Defrauding banks (and their customers) is best left to the bank executives and government regulators, not petty amateurs.

Ha Ha! You summed that up perfectly - The only thing you missed out was that when those bastards do it, they get bailed out by the taxpayers, while he goes to jail!

• Like 1

Mr Racccagni had around 10 million dollars in he's bank account, the Thai girl friend would have helped relieve him of that, one thing you don't do is come to Thailand with lots of money, you come to Thailand with a little money and leave with no money .cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What makes you think "the Thai girlfriend" had anything to do with the $10,000,000 he purportedly had in his bank account?

""Italian authorities say he has around $10 million in his bank account," an immigration police officer said, requesting anonymity, adding the man was running a small loans business in the Thai city.

The Italian authorities seem to know that fact, so presumably his base account was back in Italia.

Was the immigration officer merely passing on that information? I think so.

He must have had some money in his Thai bank account in order to be a loan shark. But he would be a bigger fool to have it all there.

Mustn't always blame the good giggle.gif Thai ladies eh?whistling.gif

"Thailand is a prime destination in Asia for people on the run from authorities in their own countries."

Just a quick heads up for any on the run crims reading this, North Korea is a safer place to hide out. Leave Thailand ASAP

• Like 2

Yes, you are right.But why not?

And Dubai has no extradition agreement with Thailand.

So you tell me, what in the name of hell has TS got to do with this Italian case. rolleyes.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

Simply because Interpol are very very wary of politically induced charges, and probably can see the whole Thaksin fiasco for what it is.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

This story is not complete...

Are you sure him wrong?

who said him wrong?

people like silvio berluscazzo?

people like italian police...

very so funny... arrest suspected...

so not sure him do fraud.

cancel my visa put me in the jail because someone from country like italy (funny country) said "we suspect"

the money parfum have good smell.

tong ting ting tong to to a go go....

....money money money

everybody do everything if money money money

give me money and i forget who i am

just give me money

la la la la la

i don t care if this man to be just suspected....

just....

money money money

tong ting ting tong to to a go go

i don t care interpol

i don t care italy

i don t care pizza e spaghetti

just money money money

tong ting ting tong to to a go go

i can looking for him also in the hell

just money money money....

beautiful song

i know andrea vitalone from bangkok ambassy some interpol agent than working with him

i know than this operation is not for free.

no body can came in thai for something like fraud... ashuhuasaushsahu

write all and true story...

country like thailand is clear to anyone like safe country

you can be transparent in thai....

but sometime from countryu like europe move enough money... pay enough money

and can catch same man. not for free

not because interpol. not for everyone

do you know how many people be in thai and do something very very very very wrong

and the him country know him be in thai and everybody know who are him...

but the point some time is...

why i must to catch him?

money move the people

money move the world

Mr Racccagni had around 10 million dollars in he's bank account, the Thai girl friend would have helped relieve him of that, one thing you don't do is come to Thailand with lots of money, you come to Thailand with a little money and leave with no money .cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What makes you think "the Thai girlfriend" had anything to do with the $10,000,000 he purportedly had in his bank account?

""Italian authorities say he has around $10 million in his bank account," an immigration police officer said, requesting anonymity, adding the man was running a small loans business in the Thai city.

The Italian authorities seem to know that fact, so presumably his base account was back in Italia.

Was the immigration officer merely passing on that information? I think so.

He must have had some money in his Thai bank account in order to be a loan shark. But he would be a bigger fool to have it all there.

Mustn't always blame the good giggle.gif Thai ladies eh?whistling.gif

Italian goverment is just confused like creeks.They are not robbed, just been taxed like northern europe.

But of course WE ALL KNOW THAT DON'T WE ? ? ?

They tried but the request was rejected as he was still Prime Minister when he was kicked out.

So you tell me, what in the name of hell has TS got to do with this Italian case. rolleyes.gif

Simply drawing a comparison, Thailand will get rid of other countries criminals but don't want their own back.

Due to my past police career have more than a passing knowledge of Interpol and since Mr. T was convicted on criminal charges a Red Notice was applicable. However I believe the coup leaders and then the Democrat government didn't want him back as he would have been a focal point in the country for his supporters. Yes he causes problems from overseas but not as much as he would if here even in jail. This is why the Aquino government in the Philippines got Marcos out of the country as fast as they could.

It is not fair that honest people are working their butts off in Farangland, running the rat race, while the cheating scum, who usually get rich at the expense of the poor, are living it up in style in some tropical paradise.

Good work by the authorities, and the more of these scum that are caught, the less appealing such a lifestyle will be, having to live in fear of wondering when the cops will come breaking down their door.

And Dubai has no extradition agreement with Thailand.

Didn't stop them extraditing a Briton back to Dubai several months ago.

Funnily enough, they are slightly less keen to extradite Thais anywhere.

Anyone know what happened to the alleged killers of Melbourne man Luke Mitchell? Were the two Thai suspects extradited to Australia to face justice?