Critic's Facebook Page Suspended; Cartoonist 'ignores' Summonses: Thailand

webfact

Critic's Facebook page suspended; cartoonist 'ignores' summonses
Akkarahcai Kantamala,
Nattanut Wongpariyakul,
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thammasat University academic Somsak Jeamteerasakul's Facebook account has been suspended for 30 days, leading to widespread criticism on social media.

Facebook user Phakjira Slk, claiming to have been asked by Somsak, posted a message on the academic's page saying the account had been suspended on Wednesday morning because he allegedly criticised Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for suing Thai Rath cartoonist Chai Rachawat.

"I want to confirm that I am against Yingluck for filing the lawsuit against Chai Rachawat. This lawsuit is in contradiction to the spirit of democracy," is the message Somsak posted on his page. He also said that the libel lawsuit was a waste of public money.

Many of his supporters spread the message widely on social media, though some said they were glad his access to Facebook had been blocked.

In the message via Phakjira Slk, Somsak said his account had been suspended because somebody had reported him as having violated Facebook's terms and conditions, adding that he was afraid he would be framed again if he were to register for a new page.

Police summonses

Meanwhile, the cartoonist has not responded to police summonses after Yingluck sued him for libel, deputy director of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Maj-General Anuchai Lekbamrung said yesterday.

Anuchai said the Metropolitan Investigation Committee had issued a summonses on Wednesday for Somchai Katanyutanan, or Chai Rachawat, to report on June 5 for further questioning and acknowledging the allegations.

The allegations of insulting government official on duty, commercial libel and violation of the Computer Act compel the cartoonist to report to the investigation committee. If he fails to show up on two occasions, the committee will be forced to seek an arrest warrant for him.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-24

• Like 1

"I want to confirm that I am against Yingluck for filing the lawsuit against Chai Rachawat. This lawsuit is in contradiction to the spirit of democracy," is the message Somsak posted on his page.

Somsak is a staunch red shirt with pending lese majeste charges. He found out that the Yingluck administration has left that segment of red shirts on their own. Now he's finding out that the Yingluck administration is also intolerant of any criticism of her, as well. An epiphany for red shirts is dawning.

Still, Somsak's Facebook account page is accessible, so not sure whether there is true legitimacy to his claims that it is suspended.

https://www.facebook.com/somsakjeam?fref=st

A tale of two Prime Ministers.......

"Publish and be damned".

Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington. PM, United Kingdom.

"I'll sue and sue until I'm sick."

Her Excellency Khun Yingluck, PM, Kingdom of Thailand.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

Only Facebook can suspend an account, they might have received a lot of public complaints but I'll be surprised if they found it violated their T&Cs. Anyway, he should just tell the court he has a 'doctor's appointment' on that day, usually works for the MPs summons.

• Like 1

Facebook account suspended for a simple, mild criticism ! PTP are not hiding their true colours and it's ironic the reds are united against dictatorship when that's exactly what their political masters practice with increasing frequency.

i have seen FB pages cancelled , blocked forever for less than this

"I want to confirm that I am against Yingluck for filing the lawsuit against Chai Rachawat. This lawsuit is in contradiction to the spirit of democracy," is the message Somsak posted on his page.

Somsak is a staunch red shirt with pending lese majeste charges. He found out that the Yingluck administration has left that segment of red shirts on their own. Now he's finding out that the Yingluck administration is also intolerant of any criticism of her, as well. An epiphany for red shirts is dawning.

Still, Somsak's Facebook account page is accessible, so not sure whether there is true legitimacy to his claims that it is suspended.

https://www.facebook.com/somsakjeam?fref=st

Thanks for the extra info as this man's name meant nothing to me. We know PTP have several factions linked to various members of the Shinawatra " family ' and I'm using that as a mafia style reference but it's interesting that the reds are splitting up too and it's a warning to all of them that no criticism of the PM will be tolerated.. I can see them jumping all over the genuine opposition as they have done but now turning inwards on each other ! Next thing is the DSI will be let loose on dissident reds.

If the content of ThaiVisa would be translated into Thai it would be put on the MICT blocked list long time ago. So in English there is basically relatively quite some freedom of speech just cuz the ignorant mainstream can't read it, hahahehehurrrp :lol:

• Like 2

If Obama sued everyone that was extremely critical of him he would be in the courts 24/7/365 and likely be a trillionaire by now. How does this woman think other world leaders take her seriously. Does she think that what happens in Thailand is never heard of outside it's borders? If anything were going to knock the confidence of investors, it wouldn't be a 37 minute power cut in the South, it would be crap like this going on in a supposedly 21 century democratic government.

Its the Thai way or the hi-way mate!

If the content of ThaiVisa would be translated into Thai it would be put on the MICT blocked list long time ago. So in English there is basically relatively quite some freedom of speech just cuz the ignorant mainstream can't read it, hahahehehurrrp laugh.png

Not understand it would it more accurate.

And if she says anything bad about me I'll sue her too. Thai politician mentality. We must all remember, she is her brothers sister. What should we expect when she acts and talks like Taksin. If she was ugly no one would care about her. As it is she still has a few followers that are women and those REDS who can't see that theyt are being used.

As someone who writes news articles for http://meebal.com I can tell you it's not just Yingluck who is paranoid of having anything written about her. The trouble here is that she, and other Thai politicians continuously use and while this practice is allow to continue there is little chance of freedom of speech, free press or freedom of expression - this is know as a dictatorship anywhere else in the world; but understandably with the level of education here in Thailand it is not surprising they don't see it this way.

• Like 1

Thailand is becoming more and more like a police state

Freedom of speech an freedom to assemble are gone ... unless you wear a red shirt

I agree with the first half....however the second half is problematic....

Stupidity rules. If the elite really thinks that Yingluck has the power to tell Facebook which accounts they have to shut down dream on. And if it comes to freedom of speech that was gone immediately after the military raped democracy again and rubberstamping Abhisit started to lock up people under the computer crime laws. So do not give me the crap that this elected government started the witch hunt and that they control the Social media.

Abhisit on the other had had no problem locking up people that showed judges on the take or academics questioning prem's role.

• Like 2

Thailand is becoming more and more like a police state

Freedom of speech an freedom to assemble are gone ... unless you wear a red shirt

I agree with the first half....however the second half is problematic....

Stupidity rules. If the elite really thinks that Yingluck has the power to tell Facebook which accounts they have to shut down dream on. And if it comes to freedom of speech that was gone immediately after the military raped democracy again and rubberstamping Abhisit started to lock up people under the computer crime laws. So do not give me the crap that this elected government started the witch hunt and that they control the Social media.

Abhisit on the other had had no problem locking up people that showed judges on the take or academics questioning prem's role.

Are you suggesting that government adminitrations prior to the last military intervention were supportive of free speech? I don't recall the previous Thaksin governments being well disposed to criticism or expressions of different opinion.

Free speach is sadly something missing from Thailand -just like democracy is missing.

Sasanah Tamruat no more Sasanah Buddh.

This is really really against all principles of a free democracy and free speech. But at the end, a direct democracy will haunt the system they're trying so hard to create.

Facebook is a setup by whom? Who are the moderators there? Why can't one delete a Facebook account, but they can suspend anyone they like?

May I ask all of you politely to do your homework and check the background of FB? Who set it up and for what purpose? You will find out quickly that Zuckerberg (Sugar-Mountain) is just a front with no power or influence.

I'm afraid if a cartoon like this is the reason for a State affair we will have a war soon again.

This is more like the Danish Cartoonist, same reaction and now the Fatwa from the self declared rulers of TH.

Kim-Jong-Un_North__2516339c.jpg where's my girl? She rocks. Bring her back home ... we need a first lady ...

Actually, I believe the guy who attempted to frame the Democrats for colluding with the judges is currently a PTP MP. He was never in jail.

Dictatorial regimes throughout historty have always been insecure to a point of paranoia. They all know they're not really serving the electorate but feel the need to keep perpetuating the trend.

If this is true, then it represents a dangerous increase in censorship at a time when hightly emotive parliamentary bills are being presented. Not a good sign.

Quite frankly, the PM should simply have treated the cartoonists remarks as irrelevant. She has made, and continous to make them more relelvant and important. Again, she appears to be gettting poor advice from someone.

Dictatorial regimes throughout historty have always been insecure to a point of paranoia. They all know they're not really serving the electorate but feel the need to keep perpetuating the trend.

If this is true, then it represents a dangerous increase in censorship at a time when hightly emotive parliamentary bills are being presented. Not a good sign.

Quite frankly, the PM should simply have treated the cartoonists remarks as irrelevant. She has made, and continous to make them more relelvant and important. Again, she appears to be gettting poor advice from someone.

Well not only does she get poor advice but poor orders from someone in Dubai. This runs in the family as her bro was one of the worst offenders when it came to using the defamation law to silence his critics.

Thailand will never have freedom of speech or written word until it drops its defamation & Lese Majeste laws.

Good advice

Live you God/Creator's given rights, no matter what. You can't lose.

As a matter of fact a constitution can only write down God's given rights and nothing else. It also comes with obligations.

Whether you under maritime law or civil law. Most of you don't know that you're under maritime law as a person or subject, a kind of collateral for government credits. A newborn for example gets registered with capital letters and as a corporation in order to print more money for govts with huge interests(Feds). The banks you're subjected to are written on the back of the original birth certificate. (Canada/USA/UK(not sure about UK) and other nations)

The history about these laws are quite interesting. Especially Maritime law was introduced for international shipping, but how did humankind get caught into it?

Now when you study T's setup by those who made him "rich" you'll understand the dots and connect it in the right order.

It also explains the rush to get over 2 trillion B credit.

Incidents like the above are to distract the population to search any further and they got them busy by luring them into making credits for all kind of things.

So yes, a dictatorial measure to subdue the whole population. - How sad.

• Like 1

Good advice

Live you God/Creator's given rights, no matter what. You can't lose.

As a matter of fact a constitution can only write down God's given rights and nothing else. It also comes with obligations.

Whether you under maritime law or civil law. Most of you don't know that you're under maritime law as a person or subject, a kind of collateral for government credits. A newborn for example gets registered with capital letters and as a corporation in order to print more money for govts with huge interests(Feds). The banks you're subjected to are written on the back of the original birth certificate. (Canada/USA/UK(not sure about UK) and other nations)

The history about these laws are quite interesting. Especially Maritime law was introduced for international shipping, but how did humankind get caught into it?

Now when you study T's setup by those who made him "rich" you'll understand the dots and connect it in the right order.

It also explains the rush to get over 2 trillion B credit.

Incidents like the above are to distract the population to search any further and they got them busy by luring them into making credits for all kind of things.

So yes, a dictatorial measure to subdue the whole population. - How sad.

I haven't a clue what you're on about. You seem to be all at sea wink.png