Japan Mission: Yingluck Drums Up Yen For Dawei, Rail Plans

webfact

I see Hitachi happy to flog trains, but I don't see any reference to Dawei, in Myanmar. I'm quite sure Japanese companies are happy to invest in their own well-thought-out schemes, but I doubt they are willing to trust their cash to Yingluk, despite her vast business and political experience (satire).

Well you didn't actually mention Dawei in your post so I wouldn't have mentioned it. However now you have, the Dawei Port/Heavy Industrial Area was signed under the last government who at the time were having great problems with the Map Ta Phut Industrial area due to a distinct lack of enviromental impact assessments for the firms working there many of them being forced to close , albeit temporarily. What could be better than to get rid of this enviromental time bomb by putting it in another country completely, one that , at that time, didn't worry about things like enviromental impact. As the man said “I don’t think the people want it in their backyard”, an understatement if ever there was one! (http://www.dvb.no/analysis/not-in-my-backyard/12359)

So Ital-Thai signed a deal saying they would raise the money for the construction of the infrastructure. They failed to do so and the Thai and Myanmar governments had to step in to save the project. Back in 2012 both governments agreed they would try and get the Japanese on board. The Japanese didn't want to know at the time as they didn't like the Ital Thai idea of placing the heavy industrial area and the docks together. Plus the Myanmar government hadn't come up with any set in stone tariffs so it was difficult to see a payback time. The project has been reassessed and Ital-Thai are taking a back seat.

So now the Thai government are trying again by pointing out the fact that the port ,at least, will be beneficial to all of Asean - at least they are trying.

This thread's subject is PM drums up yen for Dawei, rail plans

Touchy, aren't we? Your post had this to say

"The headline is completely misleading. The Japanese are interested in SELLING to Thailand, not in supplying the money"

I pointed out a few examples as counterpoints to your posted belief that "The Japanese are interested in SELLING to Thailand, not in supplying the money" and you come back at me for not mentioning Dawei? How does that work then?

So then I discuss the origins of the Dawei Port/Industrial Area and why the Japanese are cagey about investing money in it and your response is shouty capital letters about the thread subjects - both of which I covered in my second post. How does that work then?

Strange.

Slow down a bit. You replied to my post on this topic with indications of other investment, then said that I didn't mention Dawei, which is the topic, and then go on to agree that the Japanese are not interested in it.

My attempt to point out that I didn't need to reiterate Dawei was a simple cut and paste of the lead-in to the OP, with no change of font size or colour. It was not meant to be aggressive, "shouty" or a sign of "touchiness" - why would it be when we basically agree, at least as far as Dawei is concerned.

The government has had no luck in interesting anyone in lending the money for the high speed rail despite traveling the world to other would-be suckers countries.

Now this genius thinks that Japan would like to invest in the competition, let alone turn a bunch of money loose to be spilled by corruption?

There are many reasons that Thailand will fail as a leader in Asia, and corruption is just one of them. But it's a deal killer. The leaders use every opportunity to enrich themselves, while not giving a rip about the nation or the people. They are trying to get all they can and pass the problem on to the next administration and that's why they are in such a hurry to do these big deals.

Does she think the Japanese are stupid or some thing. The people she was pitching her ideas to probably know more about the projects than she does.

The corruption in Thailand is well know and the Japanese are not that big into enriching Thai politicians. If they thought they could come out ahead in the deal for the Dawei plans they would have been rite there with there hands out when the Italian firm first balked.

I would like to also mention that on the corruption index Japan is 17th best out of 176 nations while Thailand is 88th.

so when pitching business propositions to the Japanese she would first have to convince them that it would be money spent to do projects not line politicians pockets.

Just saying every thing will be transparent will not do the trick.