Dressing For A Thai Wedding In Bangkok

FarangSimmo

Sawasdee.

I have been invited to a wedding at a 5 star hotel in BKK. It is the Thai part of their Aust wedding that they performed some years ago. Thai wife and Aussie husband. Is it ok for me to dress in some traditional Thai 'dress' for the occasion? Out of respect for the Bride and maybe it will be coller than Farang suit and tie

If so suggestions are appreciated as to what type and where in BKK I can rent or purchase. I could ask the bride but would like it to be a surprise. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This sounds like it will be just a reception, rather than actual wedding ceremony

If that's the case, best to wear a western style. Nobody wears Thai style dress to weddings anymore. Certainly not in Bangkok. And definitely not men

If you are father, brother of the groom or best man, and it's at the thai ceremony, then that could look like a gesture of you trying to blend in and adopt some Thai culture. In most other circumstance I would suggest, no :)

• Like 1

This sounds like it will be just a reception, rather than actual wedding ceremony

If that's the case, best to wear a western style. Nobody wears Thai style dress to weddings anymore. Certainly not in Bangkok. And definitely not men.

If you are father, brother of the groom or best man, and it's at the thai ceremony, then that could look like a gesture of you trying to blend in and adopt some Thai culture. In most other circumstance I would suggest, no smile.png

FarangSimmo

I sort of agree with MiG16. You can not go wrong in today's BKK with a coat and tie, specially in a nice, air conditioned upscale hotel.

However, while we were all nobodies using any and all criteria you can imagine, the mother of the bride asked us all to wear traditional Thai apparel for a similar reception at Jim Thompson's back in February. The groom did, the bride's side of the family did, and those of us living here did.

The groom's family and a bunch of friends all came over from the U.S. so they all dressed U.S. style. It would not have been expedient to ask them to do otherwise.

I wore a "formal" shirt but open collar syle, not Mandarin, and short sleeves and was appropriately dressed. So you have options.

But my real recommendation would be to ask the wife's family or whomever invitied you. They will have the definitive answer.

• Like 2

I have removed the tongue in cheek replies suggesting inappropriate attire.

Sorry guys, they might intended to be tongue in cheek, but lets keep this one real.

Cheers

I would wear a short sleeve shirt and a pair of long pants,doesnt matter if it is in a 5 star hotel or the village.If you wear the Thai silk can you post a picture.If I was going to a wedding in Australia I would wear a suit,you are in LOS.

mate, have attended heaps of classy weddings over here in the last year, most thai men wear long pants/jeans and a casual shirt/crew neck, I wear a pair of dress trousers and a light weight collared dress shirt with an open neck, I still stand out from most of the men but it doesnt bother me(thai women think its great I dress up), you do not want to look silly by wearing thai gear or really dress up in a suit etc. Just make sure you dont wear a black shirt. Receptions only last a few hours, long enough for a several course feed, a few drinks and the commentary/speeches, they are not really formal apart from the pics with the bride and groom just before you enter the reception area, also remember to have at least 500 baht plus in the empty invite envelope to give to the married couple when you have your pic staken or when they are walking around the reception room meeting the guests, you will be given a small present after you give the envelope to them/put it in the box provided. I reckon they are pretty good without all the bullshit of aussie weddingsbiggrin.png, if you are lucky you might even score the scotch left on the table, got 3/4 of a bottle of johnie walker black last week.

Edited by seajae

mate, have attended heaps of classy weddings over here in the last year, most thai men wear long pants/jeans and a casual shirt/crew neck, I wear a pair of dress trousers and a light weight collared dress shirt with an open neck.

It doesn't seem like these weddings are classy at all..... Jeans? Open shirt?

I've been to loads if big hotel weddings at the Oriental, Sukhothai, Four Seasons etc... Mixed weddings and lots of Thai-Thai weddings.... Open tie looks scruffy, most go fully suited...

I'd never dream of wearing anything other that a Suit and Tie.

OP: Careful about wearing Thai attire, you might end up looking like the hotel bellboy !

Perhaps a Tie made from Thai silk would do?.... It' would be very tricky to respectfully pull off a Thai look if not immediate family.

mate, have attended heaps of classy weddings over here in the last year, most thai men wear long pants/jeans and a casual shirt/crew neck, I wear a pair of dress trousers and a light weight collared dress shirt with an open neck.

I've been to loads if big hotel weddings at the Oriental, Sukhothai, Four Seasons etc... Mixed weddings and lots of Thai-Thai weddings.... Open tie looks scruffy, most go fully suited...

OP: Careful about wearing Thai attire, you might end up looking like the hotel bellboy !

Perhaps a Tie made from Thai silk would do?.... It' would be very tricky to respectfully pull off a Thai look if not immediate family.

This. It really does depend on the people geting married. If it is middle class or hi-so in a five star hotel then only a suit or trousers and shirt minimum.

Yes there were people in jeans at ours but I wanted something small and reasonably casual and no one to feel uncomfortable as our guests came from all levels and not some stuffy 5 star do that the family started planning. (10 years to agree to get married they weren't going to say no.)

Edited by arthurwait

hang on, lets see, 5 start hotels, limo's lined up out the front, 1,000 odd plus guests, top quality food/service, johnny walker black label, yep, thats classy without having your head up someone elses butt. You may like to dress to the nines but what about all the thais that attend. If you think $200 dress trousers & an open necked expensive dress shirt is "too casual" in Thailand then I think your nose may be somewhere it shouldnt be. In Australia we would wear suits, here not many even own one(or do you only mingle with the fabulously wealthy). Just because you want people to think you are something special does not mean that others that dont are beneath you. Mate, you want to look like a jerk that is your business but I do not like making others look bad, or dont you go to any that dont cost thousands a head. Last Sundays was a high rankingThai airforce officer, the ladies dress all out but the men usually wear neat casual, if you wore a suit here you would collapse from heat exhaustion before you got inside. I think maybe you have your hands busy somewhere else actually.biggrin.png

Without reading the input of the thread and simply responding to your request for pertinant information, I would guess that the wedding has everything to do with the couple wishing to perform the ceremony on the wife's home turf to allow her and her family the respect and honor of the ceremony. Personally, I would acquire a nicely made formal Thai silk shirt worn over "business" slacks. Depending whether northern style, it might be more appropriate to adorn oneself in said northern style upper wear with dress slacks (still) appropriate. I believe this attire would be appropriate and respectful to all in attendance. Also, appreciated by the local attendees. Of course, imo.

• Like 1

Dear posters,

thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

Having reread the Invite more closely it seems that it will be the Reception I am attending and not the actual ceremony.

Having taken into account all of your comments I'm leaning towards dress trousers and shoes with a silk shirt similar to the one in the attached pic.post-176301-0-43125000-1369609541_thumb.

I just want something that shows a bit of respect to Thailand and the bride and her family without trying to be a Thai person.

I will let you know how it all went.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

mate, have attended heaps of classy weddings over here in the last year, most thai men wear long pants/jeans and a casual shirt/crew neck, I wear a pair of dress trousers and a light weight collared dress shirt with an open neck, I still stand out from most of the men but it doesnt bother me(thai women think its great I dress up), you do not want to look silly by wearing thai gear or really dress up in a suit etc. Just make sure you dont wear a black shirt. Receptions only last a few hours, long enough for a several course feed, a few drinks and the commentary/speeches, they are not really formal apart from the pics with the bride and groom just before you enter the reception area, also remember to have at least 500 baht plus in the empty invite envelope to give to the married couple when you have your pic staken or when they are walking around the reception room meeting the guests, you will be given a small present after you give the envelope to them/put it in the box provided. I reckon they are pretty good without all the bullshit of aussie weddingsbiggrin.png, if you are lucky you might even score the scotch left on the table, got 3/4 of a bottle of johnie walker black last week.

500 baht for a "classy wedding" gift, and scoring leftover table booze - Cheap Charlie strikes again...

• Like 1

Dear posters,

Having reread the Invite more closely it seems that it will be the Reception I am attending and not the actual ceremony.

Having taken into account all of your comments I'm leaning towards dress trousers and shoes with a silk shirt similar to the one in the attached pic.attachicon.gifThai shirt_1.jpg

I just want something that shows a bit of respect to Thailand and the bride and her family without trying to be a Thai person.

Thanks again.

Very similar to what I wear to them, you will do fine

Having taken into account all of your comments I'm leaning towards dress trousers and shoes with a silk shirt similar to the one in the attached pic.attachicon.gifThai shirt_1.jpg

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with this attire, but it might be very likely that you'll be the only man sporting Thai dress at the reception, considering the venue of the reception.

Edited by Morakot

500 baht for a "classy wedding" gift, and scoring leftover table booze - Cheap Charlie strikes again...

mate not everyone in Thailand is on big money, note I said at least 500 baht PLUS, the plus is so you can leave as much as you think is affordable to you. As for table booze, had never had it happen before, I dont drink scotch and prefer vodka but when I was given a near full bottle of JW black in a box I was surprised, something they dont do in Australia and not wanting to offend I kept it, time to pull your head from your...........

I've been to a few and it seems to me the Thais that own suits wear them, and if they don't own one, they wear their Sunday best.

What you wear shows how much you respect the event, I would wear a nice suit. I agree with others that you would probably look silly in a Thai outfit. Were it my wedding, I would not expect a friend to have to buy a suit for the event, but I would expect my friends that owned a suit to wear one.

To be clear, regardless of where you are it is much, much better to be theonly guy in a suit then the only guy in jeans. Been there done that.

If you're still not sure, remember: "...girlie goes crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man."

• Like 1

mate, have attended heaps of classy weddings over here in the last year, most thai men wear long pants/jeans and a casual shirt/crew neck, I wear a pair of dress trousers and a light weight collared dress shirt with an open neck, I still stand out from most of the men but it doesnt bother me(thai women think its great I dress up), you do not want to look silly by wearing thai gear or really dress up in a suit etc. Just make sure you dont wear a black shirt. Receptions only last a few hours, long enough for a several course feed, a few drinks and the commentary/speeches, they are not really formal apart from the pics with the bride and groom just before you enter the reception area, also remember to have at least 500 baht plus in the empty invite envelope to give to the married couple when you have your pic staken or when they are walking around the reception room meeting the guests, you will be given a small present after you give the envelope to them/put it in the box provided. I reckon they are pretty good without all the bullshit of aussie weddings:D, if you are lucky you might even score the scotch left on the table, got 3/4 of a bottle of johnie walker black last week.

mate not everyone in Thailand is on big money, note I said at least 500 baht PLUS, the plus is so you can leave as much as you think is affordable to you. As for table booze, had never had it happen before, I dont drink scotch and prefer vodka but when I was given a near full bottle of JW black in a box I was surprised, something they dont do in Australia and not wanting to offend I kept it, time to pull your head from your...........
Erm.... Slacks/jeans, No Tie, drinks Vodka, leaves 500 Baht (plus)... I'll say again, these are not classy wedding you are attending...

Of the weddings I've been to that I would describe as classy most of the Thais are also wearing suit and tie. Perhaps a couple of people in open shirts and a few seniors in the Thai style shirt the Op posted above.

Folk from certain locations are known for their tact or class (or lack of), hence the one or two crass comments on this thread confirming stereotype.

So Op: if you are over say 60 yrs old you may carry off the Thai Silk shirt well. If everyone there is friendly and polite you'll have a lovely time by simply making effort to be respectful.

In Thailand you will rarely hear if you are poorly or inappropriately dressed, people may judge or they may simply ignore... IMO it's better to strike the high note than to appear underdressed.

Edited by richard_smith237

Dear posters,

Thanks again.

Well done.