Yakult And The Rise Of Probiotics In Thailand

webfact

Interesting thread here..... I had an emergency operation in December 2012 for a perforated duodenal ulcer. Touch and go at the beginning but after 2 weeks I was able to be transferred to a joint-venture hospital for the recovery stage.

After a further 5 weeks I was able to be discharged. Very weak after 7 weeks in hospital I asked my Dr.... 'What foods should I eat/not eat ?'... his reply 'no spicy for the first month'. And eat small cuts of meat.

I then asked what about things like yoghurt and probiotic drinks? Surely they will help to keep my stomach calm?..

The reply was you should avoid these drinks for the rest of your life. They do not help at all and I need you to bring your stomach back to a state where it can accept Thai conditions and the bugs it brings.

OK.... great.... after a month at home, it was time!!!..Pad Grapwow Moo...... total ecstasy!! serious head sweat and endorphins buzz.

Had a gastroscopy last week..... every thing looking pinky.....great news.

I am quite sure the doctor was rite in telling you to stay away from those foods. The problem is not all bodies react the same to different things. Finding out what is not good for you with a commonly accepted food is not always that easy. You paid a very high price to find out those foods were not good for you.

There is no food out there that does not have some people who can not eat it. Even if it is excepted by every medical test ever given there will always be some one who's system will reject it. I stay away from those yogurt drinks because of the high sugar content.

Surely the overwhelming percentage of the bacteria in these products don't pass the acid in the stomach.

Unless they changed the ingredients in yakult to have very acid resistant bacterial strains ( which would then probably have no beneficial action on digestion), surely 99.9% of the bacterial population gets wiped out in the stomach.

• Like 1

Yakult been around for ages, I remember as far as in the early 60's in Japan and still to this date, highly visible and probably the

best seller in Thailand due to its head start in the industry.

It must not be all that bad, just look at the long life age of the Japanese - one of the highest in the world.

Natto ask the Japanese, Kimchee ask the Koreans are just great stuff despite the deadly odors.

Well ... what i do know is - that i was bought up from birth in HK and i loved Yakult (wasn't available in London for ages). The sheer taste of it was 'something else' - you could argue that it was sugar to a kid but i beg to differ - my parents were pretty good. I grew very well and strong and have but one lonely filling in my head - the 'brush your teeth' a blessing now. :) Funny old thing/memory. : )

As to the rise of the probiotic - there is most certainly something to it ... i wish you luck.: ))))

Goodness sake. !