American And Fluent In Thai, Can I Get A Job Besides Teaching?

As for the military option, there are various reasons that I don't really want to join the Thai or US military. I have, however, taken the advice that most people seem to be giving me here, and I'm currently trying to find and apply to as many entry level engineering positions as I can in the states. I'm still also applying to some stuff in Thailand just for the hell of it, nothing to lose by trying.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the military option, there are various reasons that I don't really want to join the Thai or US military. I have, however, taken the advice that most people seem to be giving me here, and I'm currently trying to find and apply to as many entry level engineering positions as I can in the states. I'm still also applying to some stuff in Thailand just for the hell of it, nothing to lose by trying.

Good for you, keep trying, don't give up. Eventually you will get a break.

I was doing some research into getting my old Thai passport from when I was a kid renewed before leaving the states. I e-mailed the Thai Consulate and they told me that in order to get it renewed, I would need 2 things:

1. My old Thai passport

2. EITHER my Thai ID card OR my tabian baan/household registration

This is where I thought I hit a wall because I didn't have either an ID card or a household registration.

For overseas born Thai's, they generally can waive the need for an ID and Tabieen Baan, given it isn't expected that if you live overseas you are on the house registry.

It is done, and the embassy regularly does this for children who are born overseas, but have no way of being registered. So remind them of this fact (ie that you have been resident overseas all our life) and they should be able to facilitate.

Does it matter if he was born overseas or born in Thailand??? Not sure of his status or if this would change anything, if he has a Thai birth certificate I assume he was born in Thailand but of course have really no idea. Lot of Thai children are born in Thailand then move with family to another country.

All companies ask for these things you mentioned. When I told them I didn't have one, a passport was totally acceptable. They just need some form of ID and obviously to see you have work rights. Having an ID card doesn't give you work rights. Thai citizenship does. A Thai passport is an alternate form of ID, but still acceptable.

When I went to the tax office, the Passport was fine. When I signed a government contract the Passport was fine (and if you have ever worked for government, they are sticklers for process). When I opened a trading account, passport was fine.

So I'm not talking about corruption here. Just perfectly legal alternatives. So i was 'doing it right'. When finally went for my ID card, it wasn't an issue. When I went to get my military exemption, it wasn't an issue. I have never paid, or never will, pay a bribe in Thailand.

IF that is confusing for you, then fine. For some of us, it isn't.

I'm not confused at all you are - here is what the OP stated: Post #40

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me clear up some details about my Thai citizenship status. My mother did declare my birth to the Thai consulate in America, and I do have a Thai birth certificate. When I was a kid I had both an American and a Thai passport. I am however not registered to any household registry (tabien baan) in Thailand, nor do I have a Thai national ID card. If I wanted to get my Thai national ID or a new Thai passport I would have to register at one of my relatives homes in Thailand and then get out of military service one way or another.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what advise are you giving this guy that is actionable??? He is concerned about military service which is holding him back from renewing his documents, suggest you advise how he go about fixing that concern since it appears you have been through this already successfully, I for one admit to have no idea how that could be done.

The military service issue won't stop him getting a house registration or an ID card. But it will put him on the radar.

The only thing you really need a Thai ID card for in Thailand is to apply for a passport. Otherwise, as mentioend in my previous post, you need to process it at an embassy overseas where they have leeway on waiving that requirement. Which is what I did for a number of years.

As mentioned, if he doesn't live in Thailand on a permanent basis till he is 30, then it is perfectly leigitmate to not to be on the Tabieen Baan, and you aren't expected to report for conscription day. That doesn't preclude you from making long and extended visits, as immigration and the military don't swap data. Once you turn 30 you are ineligible for the draft.

If he comes back to Thailand before 30, then he has the option of:

- turning up on conscription day and taking his chances

- volunteering for 6 months basic training and servicesin liu of conscription. As a university graduate, you can do this. But beware that if you are conscripted, you do the full 2 years and the volunteer option vanishes.

- show that he has already done an equivilent level of military service elsewhere.

Now, other reputable posters have mentioned that there is effectively a requirement of all Thai government servants to be fluent in Thai, and this extends to the military. I know of one person (a farang born and bred in Thailand) who got off because of this. However I did not see this rule in the conscription rules, so they must exist elsewhere, but I can't comment on that other to say that I've seen reports on TV and from a friends experience.

Edited by samran

Does it matter if he was born overseas or born in Thailand??? Not sure of his status or if this would change anything, if he has a Thai birth certificate I assume he was born in Thailand but of course have really no idea. Lot of Thai children are born in Thailand then move with family to another country.

All Thai's are issued a Thai birth certificate. In Thailand of course, but even there the BC denotes the nationality of the child given that Thai citizenship is passed down mainly by blood. Overseas, the embassy in the country of birth issues the birth certificate. Again, it denotes the child's nationality. The BC's come in different formats (though both are totally legit).

For a Thai child born overseas, obviously not being on the Tabieen Baan is standard, so passports are regularly issued with the ID number requirement left blank on the passport data page. It can be done.

I was doing some research into getting my old Thai passport from when I was a kid renewed before leaving the states. I e-mailed the Thai Consulate and they told me that in order to get it renewed, I would need 2 things:

1. My old Thai passport

This is where I thought I hit a wall because I didn't have either an ID card or a household registration.

For overseas born Thai's, they generally can waive the need for an ID and Tabieen Baan, given it isn't expected that if you live overseas you are on the house registry.

It is done, and the embassy regularly does this for children who are born overseas, but have no way of being registered. So remind them of this fact (ie that you have been resident overseas all our life) and they should be able to facilitate.

Thanks for this, I'll try going in to the Thai embassy equivalent here in Taiwan and seeing what can be done. I didn't realize they would be able to waive the Tabien Baan/ID requirement. It does say something one their website about not having a tabian baan requirement for people under the age of 20 though, but I'm 25. Anyways, I'll pay them a visit and try to sort things out.

Oh, and commande, I was actually born in the states, but my mother registered my birth with the Thai consulate there, and they issued me a Thai birth certificate.

1. My old Thai passport

Thanks for this, I'll try going in to the Thai embassy equivalent here in Taiwan and seeing what can be done. I didn't realize they would be able to waive the Tabien Baan/ID requirement. It does say something one their website about not having a tabian baan requirement for people under the age of 20 though, but I'm 25. Anyways, I'll pay them a visit and try to sort things out.

Oh, and commande, I was actually born in the states, but my mother registered my birth with the Thai consulate there, and they issued me a Thai birth certificate.

Excellent, I hope everything works out for you positively. Appears you have received some very qualified advise today.

Edited by commande

• 1 month later...

So, an update if anyone cares. It's been a month and a half, I've applied to a ton of jobs in the US, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Unfortunately, I've got nothing back from the US yet. I have an interview for a kind of sales engineering job in Taiwan next week.

And I more or less have an offer for a job in Thailand. It's for an assistant project manager at a factory in Phetchaburi province. It sounds like I could gain some good experience from this job, but then again, I don't really know. The kicker is that it's a 6-day a week job at a factory in the countryside, and the pay would be in the ballpark of 50k baht per month.

What do you guys think about that offer? Is the potential experience I could gain worth the 6 day work week and living in the countryside?? Or should I keep trying to hold out for something better??

So, an update if anyone cares. It's been a month and a half, I've applied to a ton of jobs in the US, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Unfortunately, I've got nothing back from the US yet. I have an interview for a kind of sales engineering job in Taiwan next week.

And I more or less have an offer for a job in Thailand. It's for an assistant project manager at a factory in Phetchaburi province. It sounds like I could gain some good experience from this job, but then again, I don't really know. The kicker is that it's a 6-day a week job at a factory in the countryside, and the pay would be in the ballpark of 50k baht per month.

What do you guys think about that offer? Is the potential experience I could gain worth the 6 day work week and living in the countryside?? Or should I keep trying to hold out for something better??

You are now in Taiwan, but you should have been in China.

If I were you, I would have applied to some school like QingHua University in China to further your education in a meaningful way during this time when it is difficult to get a good job.

You could get a masters degree in the field of your choice.

You might be able to get tuition for free if you agreed to teach a certain number of hours of English.

You would come away being fairly fluent in Chinese, a big plus.

You would be far ahead of taking some low level job in Thailand with probably not much future potential.

There are jobs in China with good pay. Many educated Chinese have been coming back to China for over a decade because they see very good prospects now and down the line.

Why Taiwan for Cripes Sake?

Everyone worth anything has already left for China long ago, 15 years ago, and they are still going.

All growth is in China, even if it falters, it will pickup again and move forward.

Chinese is easy.

And you will really enjoy the top universities.

The students there, the top Chinese students, are really second to none in engineering and science.

Bon Voyage

Considering no previous experience, the Thai job for 50k is not bad for an entry level position.

Especially if there is room for advancement and salary increases on a yearly basis.

Not sure how good the Taiwan job offer is, as you did not mention the salary

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Considering no previous experience, the Thai job for 50k is not bad for an entry level position.

Especially if there is room for advancement and salary increases on a yearly basis.

Do you have any more spec on the Taiwan job?

With an aeronautical engineering qualification why don't you sober up and forget Thailand while you build the foundations of a proper career?

Mainly because I tried applying to jobs in the states for over a year after I graduated and didn't get anywhere. Very few companies seemed to have any interest in hiring people straight out of college with no experience. I thought maybe I'd have more of an advantage in Thailand, being able to speak Thai and English.

The problem you have getting a job with your degree in Thailand is that there are almost no jobs related to aeronautical engineering here. Despite a rumor that there may be one factory in Rayong producing aircraft parts, this is probably an exception and indeed, when it comes to anything related to aviation or aeronautical engineering, the jobs are in the USA, Canada to a lesser extent, Brazil, China and Europe, along with some limited prospects in Australia. By far the most opportunities will be found in the USA, followed at some distance by Europe. Somehow you will need to find an internship or another pathway to getting a job over there. You may find some kind of engineering jobs here, but I doubt they'll be anything other than generic entry level engineering jobs in civil/mechanical or other general engineering, for which you would probably qualify provided you are a Thai citizen. By the way, if you are half Thai and speak the language, you should be presenting yourself as Thai here, not as just another foreigner. From an employment perspective, you will be most employable if you possess Thai citizenship, however keep in mind that entry level engineering jobs here pay very little and probably won't allow you to do anything very hands-on - you'll have to do whatever your boss tells you to and make sure he looks good.

Thailand has a shortage of engineers... While it may be true that for expats positions they are only looking for those with a lot of experience, there are plenty of entry level positions available for Thai nationals ...

Which if your mom is Thai , that's you...

Would recommend getting your Thai passport and then coming in and getting a job as a Thai

Just did a job search on Jobs DB for Engineer and looks like there are 2768 job listings

http://th.jobsdb.com/th/jobs/engineering/1

Speaking Thai helps... Reading Thai helps even more, but the thing that would help you the most is your Thai Passport

I would guess that the risk of Army service is relatively low and if it came down to you it, you could always pick up and move back over seas if you wanted to in a couple of years

Even if you have a Thai passport, living overseas is a valid reason not to show up for the draft

Alright, I will look into jobsdb as well, thanks for that. My only concern I guess about going with the Thai national route is getting much lower pay, but it's worth looking into.

Funny though, I actually wouldn't mind work for 80 - 100k in Thailand though.

You wouldn't be offered 80-100k in Thailand (by the way that is BAHT not USD per month), that is executive pay for a Thai national in his 50's, you would probably only be offered around 25-35k baht per month (in Bangkok, lets see that's what, 860-1200 US Dollars) and that is if you come to work here as a Thai citizen. Forget it as a US passport holder unless you get a job with a major MNC and you won't be hired here by them, you will be hired in another country and transferred here to work. Believe me when I say the line is years long for people waiting to be transferred to Thailand that work for a major MNC.

Seriously though, don't waste your talent, Thailand isn't going anywhere nor is it going to change anytime soon. It is hard to get a job in the USA but if you volunteer, apply for interns you will get a break. It's not going to be easy but you don't develop your education talents now while your young and you stay overseas in Asia you are permanently damaging your future of ever being a highly rated and qualified engineer much less ever getting a job earning a middle income salary. The economy will return, you have to be ready as the number of new graduates every year is not going down in the USA, you will be competing with them in the future.

Asia has it's draw, lot of people go broke here and or lose their minds; for many it's living in fantasy land till the money runs out and then they are screwed. Go home get a job, make some money and then you can visit Asia every year on your vacations and like a lot of people maybe even find the MNC that will transfer you to Thailand for work making an EXPAT salary and maybe in the future retire somewhere in Asia. Right now you don't even have the prospects of doing that. Remember, LONG TERM VISION, PLAN LONG TERM. No plan generally = disaster long term.

There is one last thing I want to add. I understand that your mom is Thai and yes this does allow you to get a Thai Citizenship and Passport. This can be a good thing but not for work. You will never be treated as a Thai even if you speak Thai because if you grew up mostly in the USA you will be seen as a Falang Thai Baby. You wont get the same respect or treatment as a Thai born and raised in Thailand. It's just the way it is here, Thailand is very xenophobic in some ways and very nationalistic, you might be half Thai but that doesn't make you Thai to them...

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Looks like I have some big decisions to make now to shape my future blink.png I will definitely look into some kind of volunteer engineering work back home and see what's available.

As for not fitting quite in in Thailand, I've definitely felt that before, but not quite to the extent you're describing. I can manage to get the Thai prices for most things, except taxi cabs. No matter how perfect my Thai is when I speak to cab drivers, a good number of them still refuse to turn on their meters for me. I told me cousins about this, and they were all shocked since nothing like that had ever happened to them haha.

Maybe your Thai just isn't good enough then. I am not Thai at all and I get Thai prices all the time - but I do speak excellent Thai, including reading and writing. Most probably you don't quite have a native accent. Having said that, I don't think there is such a thing as foreigner prices except at certain attractions where it is clearly indicated. So I don't know why cab drivers don't turn on the meter for you - although I rarely catch cabs as I drive here, of the many times in the past I have caught cabs, very very rarely would a cab driver not turn on the meter. Only once I can remember and that was 6 years ago very early in the morning leaving from the departures level of Suvarnabhumi airport. I would have driven but my car was parked at my apartment as I was returning from a couple of months back home.

1. My old Thai passport

Yes both my kids were born in the UK and we got both birth certs and passports via the Thai Embassy - just using marriage certs (which was Thai in our case - but they accepted British ones too) and wife's ID card as proof of her Thainess (she had passport also and could have used that instead) - and copies of my British passport. Wife and kids are all dual nationals - no problems.

Note that Thai Id cards and passports are marked as having been born overseas! (ID card by initial number - 5 I think - and passport is actually stamped so, as is birth certs).

Maybe your Thai just isn't good enough then. I am not Thai at all and I get Thai prices all the time - but I do speak excellent Thai, including reading and writing. Most probably you don't quite have a native accent. Having said that, I don't think there is such a thing as foreigner prices except at certain attractions where it is clearly indicated. So I don't know why cab drivers don't turn on the meter for you - although I rarely catch cabs as I drive here, of the many times in the past I have caught cabs, very very rarely would a cab driver not turn on the meter. Only once I can remember and that was 6 years ago very early in the morning leaving from the departures level of Suvarnabhumi airport. I would have driven but my car was parked at my apartment as I was returning from a couple of months back home.

Yeah I have a Thai friend that lived in the UK from 5, he speaks fluent Thai and English (both parents Thai and only Thai spoken at home) - yet Thais spot his poor accent straight away. Incidently, he doesn't read Thai either.

To the Op - if you speak Thai fluently, and obviously have the brains, why not learn to read - it is not hard at all (rules are a lot more rigid than English once learned).

It can often save money arranging the price with taxis and not using the meter too - also stops the 'impromptu tour'

Funny though, I actually wouldn't mind work for 80 - 100k in Thailand though.

You wouldn't be offered 80-100k in Thailand (by the way that is BAHT not USD per month), that is executive pay for a Thai national in his 50's, you would probably only be offered around 25-35k baht per month (in Bangkok, lets see that's what, 860-1200 US Dollars) and that is if you come to work here as a Thai citizen. Forget it as a US passport holder unless you get a job with a major MNC and you won't be hired here by them, you will be hired in another country and transferred here to work. Believe me when I say the line is years long for people waiting to be transferred to Thailand that work for a major MNC.

Seriously though, don't waste your talent, Thailand isn't going anywhere nor is it going to change anytime soon. It is hard to get a job in the USA but if you volunteer, apply for interns you will get a break. It's not going to be easy but you don't develop your education talents now while your young and you stay overseas in Asia you are permanently damaging your future of ever being a highly rated and qualified engineer much less ever getting a job earning a middle income salary. The economy will return, you have to be ready as the number of new graduates every year is not going down in the USA, you will be competing with them in the future.

Asia has it's draw, lot of people go broke here and or lose their minds; for many it's living in fantasy land till the money runs out and then they are screwed. Go home get a job, make some money and then you can visit Asia every year on your vacations and like a lot of people maybe even find the MNC that will transfer you to Thailand for work making an EXPAT salary and maybe in the future retire somewhere in Asia. Right now you don't even have the prospects of doing that. Remember, LONG TERM VISION, PLAN LONG TERM. No plan generally = disaster long term.

There is one last thing I want to add. I understand that your mom is Thai and yes this does allow you to get a Thai Citizenship and Passport. This can be a good thing but not for work. You will never be treated as a Thai even if you speak Thai because if you grew up mostly in the USA you will be seen as a Falang Thai Baby. You wont get the same respect or treatment as a Thai born and raised in Thailand. It's just the way it is here, Thailand is very xenophobic in some ways and very nationalistic, you might be half Thai but that doesn't make you Thai to them...

Increasingly companies are hiring locally based expats, but these expats have been here for a while and not transferring from abroad. However, the OP is not in this category.

Yeah I have a Thai friend that lived in the UK from 5, he speaks fluent Thai and English (both parents Thai and only Thai spoken at home) - yet Thais spot his poor accent straight away. Incidently, he doesn't read Thai either.

To the Op - if you speak Thai fluently, and obviously have the brains, why not learn to read - it is not hard at all (rules are a lot more rigid than English once learned).

It can often save money arranging the price with taxis and not using the meter too - also stops the 'impromptu tour'

I second that - reading and writing ability is essential to being able to use a language fluently. Also, the only way one would qualify as a fluent speaker of Thai for employment purposes is if reading and writing abilities are included. I highly doubt there would be many positions out there where it would be OK to just be a fluent speaker of Thai but where it's not necessary to be able to read and write Thai. Pretty sure any engineering job here where fluency in Thai is required, would be for a Thai company (although in some cases might also be a MNC) where reports and such would be written in Thai and thus lacking the ability to read the language would automatically make it that much more difficult to get a job here. Yes, many companies talk about requiring fluent English (spoken/written) abilities, but don't misinterpret that to mean these companies operate wholly in English on a written level.

I would take everyone's advice into consideration. But for a young guy, I wouldn't give up too easily, and I doubt some of these guys have any real connection to aviation. You probably won't make very much money to start, but there are companies like Triumph Aviation, they have a facility near Chonburi, as well as the U.S. Not to mention, several airlines have posted openings on jobsdb.com, look at tranportation & logistics, under airline, and aviation services. For aviation specific jobs at other locations, look at avianation.com, and jsfirm.com.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those sites. I was also thinking of applying to Thai Airways' pilot program as one idea for a job. I'm not sure if my not being able to read Thai will be a deal breaker with them though.

If there's one category of jobs where an inability to read Thai may just be OK it's probably being a pilot with Thai Airways. Although I know 2 pilots working for THAI (well, rather indirectly, as I have met only one whereas the other is the husband of a good friend of mine) I have never asked them if they have documents written in Thai. My feeling is that since English is the language of aviation and all instructions given by pilots on THAI to their cabin crew are in English (and I presume the flight manuals are only in English too) not knowing how to read Thai might be acceptable for them. Then again, maybe not - even if the only written Thai you would be exposed to working for THAI is your work contract, that might be enough to disqualify you. I don't know for sure. Perhaps I could ask one of my friends to confirm this for me.

Do you have any more spec on the Taiwan job?

I don't have an offer for the Taiwan job yet. I did a 20 minute interview over the phone, and I'm going in for an interview in person later this week. I don't know what kind of salary they are offering yet, but I think it will be better than 50k a month. I know that the job is technically a sales job, and the guy I talked to on the phone said I'd basically be accompanying the CEO of the company and helping him deal with English speaking clients. There's supposed to be monthly travel to China and occasional travel to the US and other countries.

I would take everyone's advice into consideration. But for a young guy, I wouldn't give up too easily, and I doubt some of these guys have any real connection to aviation. You probably won't make very much money to start, but there are companies like Triumph Aviation, they have a facility near Chonburi, as well as the U.S. Not to mention, several airlines have posted openings on jobsdb.com, look at tranportation & logistics, under airline, and aviation services. For aviation specific jobs at other locations, look at avianation.com, and jsfirm.com.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those sites. I was also thinking of applying to Thai Airways' pilot program as one idea for a job. I'm not sure if my not being able to read Thai will be a deal breaker with them though.

If there's one category of jobs where an inability to read Thai may just be OK it's probably being a pilot with Thai Airways. Although I know 2 pilots working for THAI (well, rather indirectly, as I have met only one whereas the other is the husband of a good friend of mine) I have never asked them if they have documents written in Thai. My feeling is that since English is the language of aviation and all instructions given by pilots on THAI to their cabin crew are in English (and I presume the flight manuals are only in English too) not knowing how to read Thai might be acceptable for them. Then again, maybe not - even if the only written Thai you would be exposed to working for THAI is your work contract, that might be enough to disqualify you. I don't know for sure. Perhaps I could ask one of my friends to confirm this for me.

If you could ask one of your friends, that would be great! It doesn't really mention anything about it on their website, but I'm not sure if that's because reading and writing Thai isn't necessary, or because it is and they just feel they don't need to state the obvious.

Pretty sure any engineering job here where fluency in Thai is required, would be for a Thai company (although in some cases might also be a MNC) where reports and such would be written in Thai and thus lacking the ability to read the language would automatically make it that much more difficult to get a job here. Yes, many companies talk about requiring fluent English (spoken/written) abilities, but don't misinterpret that to mean these companies operate wholly in English on a written level.

I work for an MNC, which is staffed by at guess by 95% Thai nationals, and both languges are used as offical languages (both spoken and written) and would hazard a guess and say 95% of offical technical documents are only in English, the reason being, Thai lacks a lot of the technical terms and nuances to develop proper/comprehensive technical documentation.

Pretty sure any engineering job here where fluency in Thai is required, would be for a Thai company (although in some cases might also be a MNC) where reports and such would be written in Thai and thus lacking the ability to read the language would automatically make it that much more difficult to get a job here. Yes, many companies talk about requiring fluent English (spoken/written) abilities, but don't misinterpret that to mean these companies operate wholly in English on a written level.

I work for an MNC, which is staffed by at guess by 95% Thai nationals, and both languges are used as offical languages (both spoken and written) and would hazard a guess and say 95% of offical technical documents are only in English, the reason being, Thai lacks a lot of the technical terms and nuances to develop proper/comprehensive technical documentation.

That doesn't surprise me; the last company I worked for here in Thailand operated virtually 100% in English on a written level. It was at that time that I started to make the assumption that private companies, whether Thai or foreign have a policy whereby all correspondence, including emails is written only in English. Going through company emails from before I even started working with that company, I noticed that even Thai-to-Thai exchanges were in English, which I found odd. When it comes to technical documents in Thai, yes technical terms, usually English words that have been adopted into the Thai language can be used (although they are often, if not usually accompanied by the term written out in English in brackets, even in some cases for technical words that don't come from English) but it does not surprise me that an MNC, which has expat staff and most probably dealings with the head office overseas and other foreign countries would use English as the written medium.

If you could ask one of your friends, that would be great! It doesn't really mention anything about it on their website, but I'm not sure if that's because reading and writing Thai isn't necessary, or because it is and they just feel they don't need to state the obvious.

My friends are a bit busy, probably traveling at the moment. In the meantime, I would recommend visiting the following facebook page, which although almost entirely in Thai (since it is a social page) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thaicabincrew-Community/117652081597667?ref=stream and asking them directly whether or not written Thai is a requirement for becoming a pilot with Thai Airways. And although technically cabin crew in this case is mostly made up of stewards and stewardesses rather than pilots, they would probably be a good starting point for information on this topic.

• 4 weeks later...

Khan,

I registered so I could respond to this post. If you present yourself well, speak both languages fluently and have the right attitude today is your lucky day, I will send you a PM on where to go and who to see.....

Dont believe a word you read on salaries, aerospace engineers in multinational companies salaries are based on competition across the region.

Check you PM and Good luck

1. My old Thai passport

Samram, the Thai Embassy and consulates in the USA now require a copy of your Tabien Baan or ID card to get a passport. This may be different from most countries but my experience with my kids was as the OP stated: Old passport or Thai birth certificate plus copy of current Tabien Baan or ID card. My kids all had to come to Thailand and be placed in their mother's

Tabien Baan, We decided to get ID cards since we were at the Ket anyway.

Khan417, I am an American living in Thailand and spent 45 years in aerospace working throughout the world. I currently have knowledge of and associations in the aerospace industry in Thailand and can tell that there are opportunities for a native english speaker that is fluent in Thai. There are opportunities in training, airlines, maintenance facilities, and the government. The salaries do not match USA salaries, but pay a lot more than unemployment. If you need a temporary job while seeking the right position, then teaching is an option ( not the best option though.) Come to Thailand and see if that is what you really want.

Kinda strange. I made 80-150K in the US and was a refrigeration mechanic. I owned a one man shop and specialized in repair only. People were crying for service. Kinda sad when a college grad cannot get a job in america. Even working for the other man I was making 27+/hr. And that was 10 years ago.

Yes 10yrs ago even Liberal arts graduates were making $100k and people without any jobs or assets were given 110% home loans. Step into the present, you'll see America is a lot different now.