American And Fluent In Thai, Can I Get A Job Besides Teaching?

Funny though, I actually wouldn't mind work for 80 - 100k in Thailand though.

You wouldn't be offered 80-100k in Thailand (by the way that is BAHT not USD per month), that is executive pay for a Thai national in his 50's, you would probably only be offered around 25-35k baht per month (in Bangkok, lets see that's what, 860-1200 US Dollars) and that is if you come to work here as a Thai citizen. Forget it as a US passport holder unless you get a job with a major MNC and you won't be hired here by them, you will be hired in another country and transferred here to work. Believe me when I say the line is years long for people waiting to be transferred to Thailand that work for a major MNC.

Seriously though, don't waste your talent, Thailand isn't going anywhere nor is it going to change anytime soon. It is hard to get a job in the USA but if you volunteer, apply for interns you will get a break. It's not going to be easy but you don't develop your education talents now while your young and you stay overseas in Asia you are permanently damaging your future of ever being a highly rated and qualified engineer much less ever getting a job earning a middle income salary. The economy will return, you have to be ready as the number of new graduates every year is not going down in the USA, you will be competing with them in the future.

Asia has it's draw, lot of people go broke here and or lose their minds; for many it's living in fantasy land till the money runs out and then they are screwed. Go home get a job, make some money and then you can visit Asia every year on your vacations and like a lot of people maybe even find the MNC that will transfer you to Thailand for work making an EXPAT salary and maybe in the future retire somewhere in Asia. Right now you don't even have the prospects of doing that. Remember, LONG TERM VISION, PLAN LONG TERM. No plan generally = disaster long term.

There is one last thing I want to add. I understand that your mom is Thai and yes this does allow you to get a Thai Citizenship and Passport. This can be a good thing but not for work. You will never be treated as a Thai even if you speak Thai because if you grew up mostly in the USA you will be seen as a Falang Thai Baby. You wont get the same respect or treatment as a Thai born and raised in Thailand. It's just the way it is here, Thailand is very xenophobic in some ways and very nationalistic, you might be half Thai but that doesn't make you Thai to them...

One of the things I have observed in Thailand is that so many young/younger foreigners wait until the advice they have requested chimes in with whatever they have already decided to do anyway. And that their little head rather than their bigger head is the one really dictating the order of play. 9 times out of 10 there is a girl in tow.

Seeing as I'm not even in Thailand right now, there's definitely no girl in tow....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems a waste not to build on your credentials. The best way to find out if you can make a go of it in Thailand would be to get on the ground. There's an airline and aerospace conference that happens in Bangkok towards the end of each year. Anyone who could offer you a job will be there.

It seems a waste not to build on your credentials. The best way to find out if you can make a go of it in Thailand would be to get on the ground. There's an airline and aerospace conference that happens in Bangkok towards the end of each year. Anyone who could offer you a job will be there.

I can agree with this but unfortunately since he isn't a Thai National but rather US Citizen his chances I would suggest are less than 1%. He also stated he can't read Thai so I presume he can't write in Thai either. Most companies in Thailand hire Thai's and third country nationals (TCN's) from Myanmar etc. for low paying labor not Engineers.

I would be an expensive experiment as Bangkok is not a cheap place to stay. Nothing is for certain though but in 99% of cases in Thailand and other Asia markets, even China now, you have to bring skills to the table that are not available locally. No experience and only a degree are not considered real world experience, your not solving their business problems your entry level, why not just hire local as that person lives in the country and won't leave generally like a foreigner will (perceived). I would suggest although this will be challenging like getting any job at this time is to apply with Boeing in the USA. Get a job with them and then leverage his language skills to justify sending him to Thailand for aircraft support under the Thai Airways subcontract with Boeing for maintenance and training. Might take years but it's double and he has plenty of time only being 25 to make a long term plan and work to obtain it.

Life really doesn't start until you hit 40 anyway, at least for men, hard for younger people to believe this. You work hard and with a little luck when you turn 40 you don't have to worry about anything, money in the bank, own a house that's paid for. You can take more risk because you have money, skills and experience to justify the risk. Of course there are the lucky 1%, I personally play the odds with the highest rate of success, risk is okay but it must be well planned with contingencies to overcome perceived future train wrecks, it can't be single threaded to a crash.

That would not be considered a plan, that would be considered wishful thinking or gambling which most people lose.

Edited by commande

It seems a waste not to build on your credentials. The best way to find out if you can make a go of it in Thailand would be to get on the ground. There's an airline and aerospace conference that happens in Bangkok towards the end of each year. Anyone who could offer you a job will be there.

I can agree with this but unfortunately since he isn't a Thai National but rather US Citizen his chances I would suggest are less than 1%.  He also stated he can't read Thai so I presume he can't write in Thai either.  Most companies in Thailand hire Thai's and third country nationals (TCN's) from Myanmar etc. for low paying labor not Engineers.

I would be an expensive experiment as Bangkok is not a cheap place to stay.  Nothing is for certain though but in 99% of cases in Thailand and other Asia markets, even China now, you have to bring skills to the table that are not available locally.  No experience and only a degree are not considered real world experience, your not solving their business problems your entry level, why not just hire local as that person lives in the country and won't leave generally like a foreigner will (perceived).  I would suggest although this will be challenging like getting any job at this time is to apply with Boeing in the USA.  Get a job with them and then leverage his language skills to justify sending him to Thailand for aircraft support under the Thai Airways subcontract with Boeing for maintenance and training.  Might take years but it's double and he has plenty of time only being 25 to make a long term plan and work to obtain it.

Life really doesn't start until you hit 40 anyway, at least for men, hard for younger people to believe this.  You work hard and with a little luck when you turn 40 you don't have to worry about anything, money in the bank, own a house that's paid for.  You can take more risk because you have money, skills and experience to justify the risk.  Of course there are the lucky 1%, I generally play the odds with the highest rate of success though, risk is okay but it must be well planned with contingencies to overcome perceived future train wrecks, it can't be single threaded to a crash.

But he IS a Thai national.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Kinda strange. I made 80-150K in the US and was a refrigeration mechanic. I owned a one man shop and specialized in repair only. People were crying for service. Kinda sad when a college grad cannot get a job in america. Even working for the other man I was making 27+/hr. And that was 10 years ago.

Edited by garyk

I can agree with this but unfortunately since he isn't a Thai National but rather US Citizen his chances I would suggest are less than 1%. He also stated he can't read Thai so I presume he can't write in Thai either. Most companies in Thailand hire Thai's and third country nationals (TCN's) from Myanmar etc. for low paying labor not Engineers.

I would be an expensive experiment as Bangkok is not a cheap place to stay. Nothing is for certain though but in 99% of cases in Thailand and other Asia markets, even China now, you have to bring skills to the table that are not available locally. No experience and only a degree are not considered real world experience, your not solving their business problems your entry level, why not just hire local as that person lives in the country and won't leave generally like a foreigner will (perceived). I would suggest although this will be challenging like getting any job at this time is to apply with Boeing in the USA. Get a job with them and then leverage his language skills to justify sending him to Thailand for aircraft support under the Thai Airways subcontract with Boeing for maintenance and training. Might take years but it's double and he has plenty of time only being 25 to make a long term plan and work to obtain it.

Life really doesn't start until you hit 40 anyway, at least for men, hard for younger people to believe this. You work hard and with a little luck when you turn 40 you don't have to worry about anything, money in the bank, own a house that's paid for. You can take more risk because you have money, skills and experience to justify the risk. Of course there are the lucky 1%, I generally play the odds with the highest rate of success though, risk is okay but it must be well planned with contingencies to overcome perceived future train wrecks, it can't be single threaded to a crash.

No he isn't, he only has an American Passport. His family nor he has ever declared that he is Thai by birth due to his mothers side. He would have to do that first which will take time and figure out how not to serve in the Thai military for 1 year. He isn't a dual citizen, Thai / American yet.

Edited by commande

Kinda strange. I made 80-150K in the US and was a refrigeration mechanic. I owned a one man shop and specialized in repair only. People were crying for service. Kinda sad when a college grad cannot get a job in america. Even working for the other man I was making 27+/hr. And that was 10 years ago.

Yea it sucks to be honest, times have really changed... I am returning to the USA in about a month and am only going to be paid about 70% of what I used to make 6 years ago, I consider myself lucky to even get that as a lot of people I know are making 50% what they used to make and work harder with more responsability.

Edited by commande

If you have family/friends here then you should be networking through them.

What were your career goals when choosing Aero? You have a B.S.? From which college or university?

Is graduate school an option? Have you taken any pilot training courses?

I would look for a job in the U.S., or consider graduate school. If you enjoy teaching, get accredited in the U.S. - physics and math teachers here can make 80,000 - 120,000 baht/month teaching here in English.

Here in Thailand there are far too many college graduates for the local labor markets to absorb. I think there are several Aero programs here churning out grads.

Most local pilot opportunities require RTAF connections, and ROTC-like programs start here in high school.

Is military service - in the U.S., with some sort of aviation focus, a consideration?

A number of higher education institutes have recently increased opportunity for various types of students to study at the higher level. In 2007, the Education Council estimated that the number of new students enrolled in bachelors programs between 2007 and 2016 will be approximately 500,000 each year, resulting in between 300,000 to 400,000 new graduates per annum. The only problem is that Thailand’s labour market does not need this number of graduates with bachelors degrees. In 2006, the Thailand Development Research Institute reported, “Thailand must develop its human resources in order to strengthen its competitiveness.” This report estimated that in the next 5 years (between 2007 and 2011), 161,140 Bachelor graduates would be needed for all sectors of the economy – including the agricultural industrial, and service sectors – each year. During the subsequent 5 years (between 2012 and 2016), 145,348 bachelor graduates would be needed each year.

These estimations imply that if Thailand maintains its current rate of graduate production, many graduates will find themselves unemployed. Those who are unemployed between 2007 – 2011 will only compound the unemployment rate for students who graduate between 2012 and 2016 because, with a higher level of development, Thailand’s need for people with higher level degrees will tend to decrease.
Edited by lomatopo

Come on! Most of you guys are giving this 25 year old a hard time and putting him off working in a country that is legally his to be in (if he so chooses).

He is currently in Taiwan and it costs peanuts to fly here and spend a few weeks looking for jobs!

This part of the world is starting to boom in engineering and manufacturing and I am sure they would love to have an American/Thai working for them (beats the locally educated quality - that need a masters degree just to be a secretary). He just needs to do some hard work looking - in today's market, if you have not literally sent HUNDREDS of resumes, then you have not done anything!

Go on google and get a few hundred engineering companies, then use their email address and send a professional email with your resume attached!

One thing I would advise him is that workpermits and minimum salary issues exist for the visa etc...

In parallel, I would do the same for back home and look for jobs there too! Just looking at the top 5 companies is a waste of time - apply to HUNDREDS or don't complain that you can't get a job!

Let me clear up some details about my Thai citizenship status. My mother did declare my birth to the Thai consulate in America, and I do have a Thai birth certificate. When I was a kid I had both an American and a Thai passport. I am however not registered to any household registry (tabien baan) in Thailand, nor do I have a Thai national ID card. If I wanted to get my Thai national ID or a new Thai passport I would have to register at one of my relatives homes in Thailand and then get out of military service one way or another.

I do have the option of just going to Thailand for a month or two and seeing if I can make anything happen, and then returning to the states to look for work there if I strike out (which seems to be very likely based on what I've read here) in Thailand. I have relatives that I can stay with in Bangkok, so it wouldn't cost me very much.

lomatopo, I have a B.S. from the University of California, San Diego. I graduated in 2010. Honestly grad school could be difficult to get into right now, my GPA wasn't the best, I had a 2.8 (and before anyone says it, a 2.8 in engineering isn't as bad as it sounds, engineering students usually have lower GPAs than average, or at least they did at my school).

I've still got a couple months before my current teaching contract in Taiwan is up, so until then I'm going to try to apply to everything I can find online right now, both in the States and in Thailand. Hopefully, I'll have some kind of luck with something in States.

Let me clear up some details about my Thai citizenship status. My mother did declare my birth to the Thai consulate in America, and I do have a Thai birth certificate. When I was a kid I had both an American and a Thai passport. I am however not registered to any household registry (tabien baan) in Thailand, nor do I have a Thai national ID card. If I wanted to get my Thai national ID or a new Thai passport I would have to register at one of my relatives homes in Thailand and then get out of military service one way or another.

I do have the option of just going to Thailand for a month or two and seeing if I can make anything happen, and then returning to the states to look for work there if I strike out (which seems to be very likely based on what I've read here) in Thailand. I have relatives that I can stay with in Bangkok, so it wouldn't cost me very much.

lomatopo, I have a B.S. from the University of California, San Diego. I graduated in 2010. Honestly grad school could be difficult to get into right now, my GPA wasn't the best, I had a 2.8 (and before anyone says it, a 2.8 in engineering isn't as bad as it sounds, engineering students usually have lower GPAs than average, or at least they did at my school).

I've still got a couple months before my current teaching contract in Taiwan is up, so until then I'm going to try to apply to everything I can find online right now, both in the States and in Thailand. Hopefully, I'll have some kind of luck with something in States.

Based on this then you are a dual national, so if your aspirations are to live in work in Thailand, you now need to be a Thai citizen, if you want any hope of getting a job in Thailand at this position in your career, you would have little chance being taken on by a company as an American citizen due to the WP issues etc.

Why dont you apply for a job with one of the Oil and Gas companies ie PTT/PTTEP or Chevron they are always looking for graduate engineers to take on as trainee engineers...money will not be brillant but its a foot in the door.

As regards getting a job with Thai air as a trainee pilot, surely you would need to be a Thai citizen as well...so seems to me your starting point would be getting your Thai ID/PP sorted out, one the miltary side of things doing addtitional part time studies at a Thai University should get you out of that for a few years...ie part time MBA or something similar...

Life really doesn't start until you hit 40 anyway, at least for men, hard for younger people to believe this. You work hard and with a little luck when you turn 40 you don't have to worry about anything, money in the bank, own a house that's paid for. You can take more risk because you have money, skills and experience to justify the risk. Of course there are the lucky 1%, I generally play the odds with the highest rate of success though, risk is okay but it must be well planned with contingencies to overcome perceived future train wrecks, it can't be single threaded to a crash.

No he isn't, he only has an American Passport. His family nor he has ever declared that he is Thai by birth due to his mothers side. He would have to do that first which will take time and figure out how not to serve in the Thai military for 1 year. He isn't a dual citizen, Thai / American yet.

Err yes he is a Thai national

Would also suggest to renew your Thai passport at Thai Embassy in Taiwan

Have heard from others in your situation that the process is much simpler if done overseas

As your Thai birth certificate and expired Thai passport should be all you need to get a new passport

Having a valid Thai passport should also help to simplify getting your Thai ID card and getting on a Tabian Baan

The TV member you want to check with is SAMRAN, as he is Thai / Australian and have seen many of his posts on this issue as he has gone through it himself

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Err yes he is a Thai national

It would appear so AFTER he corrected his initial statement. Okay, I'm exhausted with this thread, to many questionably (un) educated people providing advise here, some relevant most role the dice. Moving on :)...

It would appear so AFTER he corrected his initial statement. Okay, I'm exhausted with this thread, to many questionably (un) educated people providing advise here, some relevant most role the dice. Moving on smile.png...

He was entitled to Thai nationality before he corrected his initial statement....the fact that it appeared that he didnt have all his thai paperwork is somewhat irrelevant..

But yes I agree too many questionably (un) educated people providing advise here....seeing as your exhausted old chap...go and have a Chang...thumbsup.gif

It would appear so AFTER he corrected his initial statement. Okay, I'm exhausted with this thread, to many questionably (un) educated people providing advise here, some relevant most role the dice. Moving on smile.png...

He was entitled to Thai nationality before he corrected his initial statement....the fact that it appeared that he didnt have all his thai paperwork is somewhat irrelevant..

But yes I agree too many questionably (un) educated people providing advise here....seeing as your exhausted old chap...go and have a Chang...thumbsup.gif

Will do thumbsup.gif

Without experience you have to compete for professional jobs in Thailand with large numbers of local science and engineering grads who are happy to get the new minimum wage of 15k a month for grads. Most entry level jobs at Thai companies also require the ability to read and write reports and memos in Thai which puts you at a big disadvantage, unless you are fluent in written Thai. With some exceptions it is only at a senior level where foreigners with special skills are taken on by Thai companies and then they don't need to speak Thai. Multinationals normally use English as the working language but for entry level staff they also tend to prefer staff with fluent written Thai, except in jobs where report writing in English for external publication is an important part of the job.

I also suggest to go back to the US to try to get foothold a in any professional position or internship. If it is not your thing, consider an MBA or other masters degree after 2 years' business experience, which might help you change fields. However, caution applies there too, as there are a lot of unemployed MBAs in the US too. At any rate, Thais respect masters degrees and PhDs more than farangs do, so it might help, if you come back to Thailand.

Definitely teaching English for more than a couple of years to see a bit of the world condemns you a career as a low paid teacher abroad and their salaries in Thailand are absolutely pitiful. If you have learnt Mandarin while in Taiwan you might be of interest to a multinational but only, if you are really fluent and can read and write too.

I know its not what the OP wants to hear, however, my best advice to him, is join up, enlist in the USAF, get a commission, get paid while being trained, get paid whilst gaining experience, get paid whilst studying for an MBA, get paid whilst gaining industry recognized qualifications.

Heck if he makes a career of it he should at least reach major, and be able to retire by the time he is 45 with a decent enough pension that would enable him to live here.

I know its not what the OP wants to hear, however, my best advice to him, is join up, enlist in the USAF, get a commission, get paid while being trained, get paid whilst gaining experience, get paid whilst studying for an MBA, get paid whilst gaining industry recognized qualifications.

Heck if he makes a career of it he should at least reach major, and be able to retire by the time he is 45 with a decent enough pension that would enable him to live here.

Major Major Major Major.

Mr. Khan, with your lack of experience and no network in Thailand, you'd have a difficult time finding a professional position. You will be squandering your most productive years in Thailand and will not be able to build up a nest egg. Heck, you're not even paying into the social security system. Multinationals in Thailand will typically send their own folks from back home for management positions and hire the locals for the lower paying jobs. Teaching is a dead-end that doesn't even pay very well.

But with your educational background, you should seriously consider seeking employment back in the USA. Have you considered joining the US military? I understand they're always looking for guys with a technical background, e.g., engineering. You'd be able to enter as an officer, which is pretty decent pay (for entry level).

You beat me to it! I was advising the same.

My friend, it appears you have put the cart before the horse here. Yes he is entitled to Thai citizenship, has he completed this process and received his Thai Citizenship and Tabien Baan to include been given a waiver for Thai military service. The answer is no so he will not be treated as a Thai citizen therefore can't apply for work as a Thai citizen. When and if he chooses to clear that up he can then proceed as a Thai citizen with dual citizenship.

The same goes for me as I am over a third American Indian, I am entitled to free land in America and also in some states a free college education which I never took advantage of because I didn't know any better when I was younger. Doesn't mean I walk on the Indian reservation and pick out my plot of land, I still have to register and show my heritage. I haven't done this yet so I don't qualify for the land.

I do like the join the air force idea, not a bad career as an officer, pay is good and guaranteed retirement for life.

By the way, appreciate the advise, that Chang was great, ice cold on a hot day thumbsup.gif .

Edited by commande

If you want to work in Thailand, how about not dodging military service and see if you can get in as an officer. Do service for your country and do some networking at the same time. Military have fingers in lots of pies. Dont know if it is possible but maybe?

My friend, it appears you have put the cart before the horse here. Yes he is entitled to Thai citizenship, has he completed this process and received his Thai Citizenship and Tabien Baan to include been given a waiver for Thai military service. The answer is no so he will not be treated as a Thai citizen therefore can't apply for work as a Thai citizen. When and if he chooses to clear that up he can then proceed as a Thai citizen with dual citizenship.

The same goes for me as I am over a third American Indian, I am entitled to free land in America and also in some states a free college education which I never took advantage of because I didn't know any better when I was younger. Doesn't mean I walk on the Indian reservation and pick out my plot of land, I still have to register and show my heritage. I haven't done this yet so I don't qualify for the land.

I do like the join the air force idea, not a bad career as an officer, pay is good and guaranteed retirement for life.

By the way, appreciate the advise, that Chang was great, ice cold on a hot day thumbsup.gif .

He can be treated as a Thai citizen. He is already a Thai citizen.There is nothing to stop him doing what all other Thai nationals do.

He can simply enter on his Thai passport. All the tabieen baan means is he has a permanent abode, and can get an ID card off the basis of that. It makes life easier given people are used to seeing a Thai ID card for government services, but nevertheless a Thai passport is more than sufficient for most things in Thailand, including working and getting a Tax ID. I did a multitude of internships in Thailand while at university, and the Thai passport was more than enough.

It was only after I decided to live here permantley with my wife, then I decided to get an ID card upon returning 'full time'. So if he decides to live here full time, the ID card is the way to go. But if he is here just to kick some tyres, apply for jobs, or even do a short contract, then an ID probably not going to be needed, though he can get one if he wants.

He can be treated as a Thai citizen. He is already a Thai citizen.There is nothing to stop him doing what all other Thai nationals do.

He can simply enter on his Thai passport. All the tabieen baan means is he has a permanent abode, and can get an ID card off the basis of that. It makes life easier given people are used to seeing a Thai ID card for government services, but nevertheless a Thai passport is more than sufficient for most things in Thailand, including working and getting a Tax ID. I did a multitude of internships in Thailand while at university, and the Thai passport was more than enough.

It was only after I decided to live here permantley with my wife, then I decided to get an ID card upon returning 'full time'. So if he decides to live here full time, the ID card is the way to go. But if he is here just to kick some tyres, apply for jobs, or even do a short contract, then an ID probably not going to be needed, though he can get one if he wants.

He needs an ID in order to pay taxes as a Thai citizen and to get a real job, not an internship, this will require his ID card, not his passport which is used primarily for travel but not employment... He can use his families address in Bangkok if he wants so no Tabian Baan really needed but some employers even want that. Especially the large companies as they tend to do things more by the book than the smaller ones only looking for cheap labor.

Edited by commande

He needs an ID in order to pay taxes as a Thai citizen and a real job, not an internship, this will require his ID card, not his passport which is used primarily for travel but not employment... He can use his families address in Bangkok if he wants so no Tabian Baan really needed but some employers even want this. Especially the large companies as they tend to do things more by the book than the smaller ones only looking for cheap labor.

My internships were 'real jobs'. Short term yes, but real in every other way. Contracts. Tax payments. Social Security etc. Proper companies. Government contracts. Proper money.

If he is here full time, then yes, as I said, an ID card is a good idea. But if he here to kick tyres, try out a few things with an intention to leave Thailand within the year then what I am saying is he need not bother. His Thai birth certificate and Thai passport are more than sufficient ID and certaintly enough for him to be treated as a 'Thai'.

I've done this. I know what I'm talking about.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

He needs an ID in order to pay taxes as a Thai citizen and a real job, not an internship, this will require his ID card, not his passport which is used primarily for travel but not employment... He can use his families address in Bangkok if he wants so no Tabian Baan really needed but some employers even want this. Especially the large companies as they tend to do things more by the book than the smaller ones only looking for cheap labor.

My internships were 'real jobs'. Short term yes, but real in every other way. Contracts. Tax payments. Social Security etc. Proper companies. Government contracts.

If he is here full time, then yes, as I said, an ID card is a good idea. But if he here to kick tyres, try out a few things with an intention to leave Thailand within the year then what I am saying is he need not bother. His Thai birth certificate and Thai passport are more than sufficient ID and certaintly enough for him to be treated as a 'Thai'.

Okay your experience may vary. So why is it my Thai wife, 100% Thai when she took her new job with a rather large international company here in Thailand had to present her Thai National ID Card, Tabian Baan, University Education Certificate, Basic School Certificate, Health Check Certificate, etc. It doesn't matter if you work 6 months or 3 years, a real reputable company will follow the labor law which defines the documents required to become gainfully employed in Thailand. Just because your experience with companies that didn't ask for this because they where lazy, inept, paid under the table or whatever didn't do it by the numbers doesn't make it right and to advise someone differently is not the way to present accurate information.

Either do it right or open yourself up for issues, you might get away with it for 50 years but in general it always comes back to bite you one day. This is just one example of why Thailand has issues all around, nothing is consistent, not even the most basic legal practices are consistent. People complain about corruption, but they don't even enforce the most basic legal requirements which is why half the time everyone is confused and frustrated with Thailand and it's considered number 101 as understanding how to do business by a recent pole, don't worry China rated 100 so your not alone. By the way the scale only goes to 185... Lower your number the better.

Edited by commande

My internships were 'real jobs'. Short term yes, but real in every other way. Contracts. Tax payments. Social Security etc. Proper companies. Government contracts.

Okay your experience may vary. So why is it my Thai wife, 100% Thai when she took her new job with a rather large international company here in Thailand had to present her Thai National ID Card, Tabian Baan, Health Check Certificate, etc. It doesn't matter if you work 6 months or 3 years, a real reputable company will follow the labor law which defines the documents required to become gainfully employed in Thailand. Just because your experience with companies that didn't ask for this because they where lazy, inept, paid under the table or whatever didn't do it by the numbers doesn't make it right and to advise someone differently is not the way to present accurate information.

Either do it right or open yourself up for issues, you might get away with it for 50 years but in general it always comes back to bite you one day. This is just one example of why Thailand has issues all around, nothing is consistent, not even the most basic legal practices are consistent. People complain about corruption, but they don't even enforce the most basic legal requirements which is why half the time everyone is confused and frustrated with Thailand and it's considered number 101 as understanding how to do business by a recent pole, don't worry China rated 100 so your not alone. By the way the scale only goes to 185... Lower your number the better.

All companies ask for these things you mentioned. When I told them I didn't have one, a passport was totally acceptable. They just need some form of ID and obviously to see you have work rights. Having an ID card doesn't give you work rights. Thai citizenship does. A Thai passport is an alternate form of ID, but still acceptable.

When I went to the tax office, the Passport was fine. When I signed a government contract the Passport was fine (and if you have ever worked for government, they are sticklers for process). When I opened a trading account, passport was fine.

So I'm not talking about corruption here. Just perfectly legal alternatives. So i was 'doing it right'. When finally went for my ID card, it wasn't an issue. When I went to get my military exemption, it wasn't an issue. I have never paid, or never will, pay a bribe in Thailand.

IF that is confusing for you, then fine. For some of us, it isn't.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

All companies ask for these things you mentioned. When I told them I didn't have one, a passport was totally acceptable. They just need some form of ID and obviously to see you have work rights. Having an ID card doesn't give you work rights. Thai citizenship does. A Thai passport is an alternate form of ID, but still acceptable.

When I went to the tax office, the Passport was fine. When I signed a government contract the Passport was fine (and if you have ever worked for government, they are sticklers for process). When I opened a trading account, passport was fine.

So I'm not talking about corruption here. Just perfectly legal alternatives. So i was 'doing it right'. When finally went for my ID card, it wasn't an issue. When I went to get my military exemption, it wasn't an issue. I have never paid, or never will, pay a bribe in Thailand.

IF that is confusing for you, then fine. For some of us, it isn't.

I'm not confused at all you are - here is what the OP stated: Post #40

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what advise are you giving this guy that is actionable??? He is concerned about military service which is holding him back from renewing his documents, suggest you advise how he go about fixing that concern since it appears you have been through this already successfully, I for one admit to have no idea how that could be done.

Edited by commande

I was doing some research into getting my old Thai passport from when I was a kid renewed before leaving the states. I e-mailed the Thai Consulate and they told me that in order to get it renewed, I would need 2 things:

1. My old Thai passport

2. EITHER my Thai ID card OR my tabian baan/household registration

This is where I thought I hit a wall because I didn't have either an ID card or a household registration.