The Act Of Giving In Buddhism

muythai2013

The OP ... most likely you are going to cope some stick over the OP ... but thanks for taking the time to write from your perspective ... to balance the argument.

The frailty of Man will ensure that there is always good and bad amongst us.

The OP ... most likely you are going to cope some stick over the OP ... but thanks for taking the time to write from your perspective ... to balance the argument.

The frailty of Man will ensure that there is always good and bad amongst us.

Of coarse I will but I have not denied any wrong doing.

No negativity can match the struggles we have within ourselves anyway.

• Like 1

When a person gives without thought of any benefit to their self, they commit a self-less action. It's right in line with the major tenets of Buddhism, that we have no abiding self anyway. and all selfish desires for personal benefit cause suffering.

I thought the OP was full of good advise and wisdom.

When a person gives without thought of any benefit to their self, they commit a self-less action. It's right in line with the major tenets of Buddhism, that we have no abiding self anyway. and all selfish desires for personal benefit cause suffering.

I am fully aware of the teachings in Buddhism regarding self, The Five Skandhas

The Buddha taught that an individual is a combination of five aggregates of existence, also called the Five Skandhas or the five heaps. These are:

1.Form

2.Sensation

3.Perception

4.Mental formations

5.Consciousness

By referring to self it's for ease of understanding to readers who don't know about every thing being connected.

There is no other way to write it is there, there is in fact a self anyway, it is technically a word we use for the the individual who is a combination of the Skandhas, The self being part of the whole (everything).

The self in a sense is the yin the rest is the yang, we are all one with everything, however for ease of conversation we will always refer to self so quit nit picking.

The Buddha taught that an individual is a combination of five aggregates of existence, also called the Five Skandhas or the five heaps. These are:

1.Form

2.Sensation

3.Perception

4.Mental formations

5.Consciousness

By referring to self it's for ease of understanding to readers who don't know about every thing being connected.

There is no other way to write it is there, there is in fact a self anyway, it is technically a word we use for the the individual who is a combination of the Skandhas, The self being part of the whole (everything).

The self in a sense is the yin the rest is the yang, we are all one with everything, however for ease of conversation we will always refer to self so quit nit picking.

I "liked" your original post, something I rarely do, and also specifically said the "the OP was full of good advise and wisdom."

I do not doubt that you are fully aware of Buddha's teachings on Non-self. I don't know where you got the idea that I did.

We both seem to have given the Act of Giving in Buddhism a lot of thought, and all I did was add to the conversation.

Where do you think I was nit-picking?

Edited by huli
  • Like 1

it is right in line with all religions/faiths.

Welcome to the Buddhism forum muaythai2013... I saw your posts in the thread about Monks and Money.

Would you like to tell us which temples you were in? I was ordained in Fang twice...once for a week...then for two years.

I think every farang monk has experienced disappointment with the attitude they receive in many Thai temples from the monks, the lay people quite like us.

I have an excellent Thai dhamma booklet about making merit, and tried to give it out to Thais who i thought would read and appreciate it. It is especially good in that it explains the differences of merit gained, depending upon the spiritual state of the giver ...and the receiver.

I think I copped some negativity when i translated part of it in a post, because it looked like a points system.

• Like 1

1.Form

2.Sensation

3.Perception

4.Mental formations

5.Consciousness

I "liked" your original post, something I rarely do, and also specifically said the "the OP was full of good advise and wisdom."

I do not doubt that you are fully aware of Buddha's teachings on Non-self. I don't know where you got the idea that I did.

We both seem to have given the Act of Giving in Buddhism a lot of thought, and all I did was add to the conversation.

Where do you think I was nit-picking?

When you said I thought the op had wisdom I thought you meant it in a sarcastic way, Like when a friend says I thought you new what you were talking about, sorry it's sometimes difficult on posts without hearing tone.

Welcome to the Buddhism forum muaythai2013... I saw your posts in the thread about Monks and Money.

Would you like to tell us which temples you were in? I was ordained in Fang twice...once for a week...then for two years.

I think every farang monk has experienced disappointment with the attitude they receive in many Thai temples from the monks, the lay people quite like us.

I have an excellent Thai dhamma booklet about making merit, and tried to give it out to Thais who i thought would read and appreciate it. It is especially good in that it explains the differences of merit gained, depending upon the spiritual state of the giver ...and the receiver.

I think I copped some negativity when i translated part of it in a post, because it looked like a points system.

Ninbury In Thailand and Bundanoon Australia.

The rewards for generosity with various intentions are detailed in the Dana Sutta. Ideally, one gives with the thought, 'This is an ornament for the mind, a support for the mind'.

Yes, my point was not giving mindlessly but not giving just because you hope to benefit from it only.

I don't believe in the thought giving so you will have good luck, I believe In giving because you feel they need it.

I hope that kind of makes sense.

No Individual or even many faltering individuals can reflect on a religion, even If all temples were doing wrong and every Monk turned evil, I would simply head home and worship on my private Altar rather then blame the religion and discontinue my private journey

clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif