Thai driving license for driving camper in New Zealand.

I'm planning a camper vacation in New Zealand en have 2 questions:

Can I use my Thai Driving license in New Zealand or do I need an international driving license as well? All I can find is that the driving license needs to be in English which is the case for my Thai driving license (both in Thai and English).

What is the Camper maximum gross weight limit with a Thai Driving license? A Full or Class 1 driving license has a maximum of 6000 kg but in other places I find 3500 kg.

Any advise would be much appreciated. I have been searching the internet for many hours but not much usefull info for using Thai driving license abroad.

Best Regards,

henk

not sure if this helps any but a few weeks ago i had to renew my canadian DL. i showed them my thai one to see if would help. the lady told me they don't recognize the thai one as legal for canada. 

NZ may be similar. 

In the absence of any other license and presented with an IDP then no problem. Yes, an IDP is required.

"Camper" vans for the purpose of tourist operation are under weight requirements for a different (higher)  license class.

So take  care to understand the rental claims and conditions.

By the way > Kiwi drivers are  impatient if a tourist camper  driver thinks they  can cruise along holding up traffic.

Posted (edited)

About 10 years ago Wife and I did the NZ Camper-van thing (awesome trip BTW)... 

I drove on my British Licence (No IDP that I recall).

Wife, theoretically, could have driven with her Thai licence but forgot it, which was a bummer for me when driving around the vineyards in Marlborough (reckon she planned it).

So, no, as far as I understand it, no IDP required to drive a Camper Van in NZ.

That said, an IDP is so very easy to get, obtaining one removes any ambiguity or doubt. 

As far as 'endorsements' are concerned - a Camper-Van can be driven on a regular 'car' licence without any additional class endorsements (I think up to 6 tonnes)... so unless you are going 'massive' thats not an issue.

Edited by richard_smith237