Coffee

Malthus101

I sympathize with your statement, HH, but I've found the same coffee making and other products in Power Buy, Big C, Tesco and other big name stores all priced the same. There's no such thing as price competition in this country. Well, at least as far as farang products go (although Foodland offers some pretty good food sales). I know that Thais will switch food markets to save a couple of baht on a kilo bag of chilis. But I agree with Malthus. If a product is retailed to foreigners, the Thais will throw out the rule book and price it as high level as they can get away with it. Period.

Cowboy Bebop (cool anime!!),

We can agree to disagree as I don't believe the items are retailed to foreigners. I do agree that the items are farang (imported) products. I'm no experts in the matter but I do think import costs (duties/shipping) and small demand play into higher price.

I'm an American now living in Singapore and am often surprised at how extremely high some (okay, perhaps many) products are priced here as well. So I don't this the issue is with Thailand alone. For example, Vita-mix blender which is around $500 USD back in USA costs over $1K USD in Singapore and in Bangkok!!! I know the voltage is different but I can't reconcile the price difference in my head. What I don't get is that it seems like most computer hardware products (generally made and shipped from China) are way more expensive in BKK and Singapore (way more in SG)!!! All I can think is that the market and the competition in the market must be small.

I guess I'm still naive to believe that the world (including BKK and Singapore) is run on free market concept.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Krupp burr grinder. Have been using every day for some three years now. I think I paid around 3,000 and it has been worth it, as a burr grinder is necessary to the best coffee. Must have have gone up. A blade grinder simply won't produce a good coffee. I guess whether a burr grinder is too expensive for somebody comes down to a matter of priorities and willingness to compromise.

Just remember, when you bean some nice beans and chop then in the blade machine (because that's what you're doing, chopping, not grinding) and you just cannot get a decent tasting cup of coffee, DO NOT blame the beans.

There must be a huge market for 2nd hand espresso machines in Thailand considering the plethora of coffee stands, shops, cafes etc all over Thailand. The only place I have heard that they sell them is JJ market though. Unless someone (perhaps in the industry) has other ideas?

There must be a huge market for 2nd hand espresso machines in Thailand considering the plethora of coffee stands, shops, cafes etc all over Thailand. The only place I have heard that they sell them is JJ market though. Unless someone (perhaps in the industry) has other ideas?

2nd hand espresso machine could be a good solution to save some money, the seller should to organize himself to grant the repair and the availability of spare parts, in some case its' quite difficult depend by the brand and by the seller too.

Other important factor is if the seller had properly refurbished the machine before to sale.

2nd hand espresso machine could be a good solution to save some money, the seller should to organize himself to grant the repair and the availability of spare parts, in some case its' quite difficult depend by the brand and by the seller too.

Other important factor is if the seller had properly refurbished the machine before to sale.

Some of the basic models are built like a tank and need very little maintenance. We have a crappy Krups machine in my office and the repair bills are rarely over a thousand baht 2 times a year.

Well, the 3,000 baht price tag doesn't seem so high (relatively speaking) anymore...

I just went to Central Chit Lom and then to Central World (what a behemoth of a centre that is! I was going crazy just trying to find a way out of that place!)

The top floors of both are excellently stocked with home appliances etc. But.... nothing cheap. Central Chit Lom had coffee "choppers" ie bladed machines. All between 1.5K and 2K. The only burr grinder I could find was a Krupp one for 4,000 baht. It looked good quality but was too much for me, don't even have one in the UK.

Even a hand grinder at Central World was 2.5K or something! Crazy.

They also had caffetieres and stove tops (Italian style espresso pots) - all too expensive for me. A less fancy cafetiere was still 2K.

That's £40 or so...

When I said coffee hasn't caught on, this is what I meant. Yes there are loads of coffee shops, good ones, but for home use, either the Thais have a totally different way of preparing coffee from the rest of the world or they use instant coffee (or just have it when out and socializing - possible)

Anyway, even kettles started at around 1,200 baht at these places. I saw a nice little kettle at Index Shopping Mall for 700 ish.

They also had electric percolators - it seems in Thailand, this is the cheaest way to prepare filter coffee, drip coffee as the Americans say.

So, I also went to that massive Big C shopping centre there - it's huge - excellent fresh produce area and lots of good looking bakery items too.

So before I get into ordering beans from Chiang Mai, I bought a bag of ready ground from VPP Coffee - anyone heard of them? 250g bag, was about 160 baht I think. It has Thai but also Japanese writing on it - got the premium blend, I'll let you know how it tastes!

Thanks all...

i buy 5kilo at a time from duang-dee-hill tribe,340bht.kilo packed in vacuum foil bags

250gram in each bag,i have 4diff.roasts.delivered by post or if you have a nakon chai air bus office near you, you can pick it up there.

• Like 2

i buy 5kilo at a time from duang-dee-hill tribe,340bht.kilo packed in vacuum foil bags

250gram in each bag,i have 4diff.roasts.delivered by post or if you have a nakon chai air bus office near you, you can pick it up there.

I've just typed in "www.duangdee.com" in the address line and found a website (in German) that gives a link to duang-dee coffee - in English:

http://www.northernthailand.com/duangdeecoffee/index.html

R21

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've just typed in "www.duangdee.com" in the address line and found a website (in German) that gives a link to duang-dee coffee - in English:

http://www.northernthailand.com/duangdeecoffee/index.html

R21

yes nongs husband is german,the blends are expresso,classical taste,unique strong,and extra smooth.
  • Like 1

Well, the 3,000 baht price tag doesn't seem so high (relatively speaking) anymore...

I just went to Central Chit Lom and then to Central World (what a behemoth of a centre that is! I was going crazy just trying to find a way out of that place!)

The top floors of both are excellently stocked with home appliances etc. But.... nothing cheap. Central Chit Lom had coffee "choppers" ie bladed machines. All between 1.5K and 2K. The only burr grinder I could find was a Krupp one for 4,000 baht. It looked good quality but was too much for me, don't even have one in the UK.

They also had caffetieres and stove tops (Italian style espresso pots) - all too expensive for me. A less fancy cafetiere was still 2K.

That's £40 or so...

When I said coffee hasn't caught on, this is what I meant. Yes there are loads of coffee shops, good ones, but for home use, either the Thais have a totally different way of preparing coffee from the rest of the world or they use instant coffee (or just have it when out and socializing - possible)

Anyway, even kettles started at around 1,200 baht at these places. I saw a nice little kettle at Index Shopping Mall for 700 ish.

They also had electric percolators - it seems in Thailand, this is the cheaest way to prepare filter coffee, drip coffee as the Americans say.

So, I also went to that massive Big C shopping centre there - it's huge - excellent fresh produce area and lots of good looking bakery items too.

So before I get into ordering beans from Chiang Mai, I bought a bag of ready ground from VPP Coffee - anyone heard of them? 250g bag, was about 160 baht I think. It has Thai but also Japanese writing on it - got the premium blend, I'll let you know how it tastes!

Thanks all...

If you don't mind using a bit of muscle power, get a Hario Mini Mill, straight from Japan (~1,000 Baht, without shipping). They're smallish (depending on your personal taste preferences and coffee machine, a single grinding is for 2-4 cups), but they have an excellent ceramic burr grinder. I've been using one for some time now, wouldn't want to miss it as the taste of your coffee using freshly ground beans is so much better!

Edited by robenroute

yes nongs husband is german,the blends are expresso,classical taste,unique strong,and extra smooth.

Just 2 quick questions:

1. Roughly how many "cups" of coffee do you get from your 250 gm packet and

2. Roughly what would you consider as a your typical "cup" volume of coffee ("caffes" that I've had in Italy were very strong and served in what I would consider to be more like a thimble!).

Turkish and Arabic "coffees" are also very different from western coffees.

Many thanks

R21

That's £40 or so...

Thanks all...

If you don't mind using a bit of muscle power, get a Hario Mini Mill, straight from Japan (~1,000 Baht, without shipping). They're smallish (depending on your personal taste preferences and coffee machine, a single grinding is for 2-4 cups), but they have an excellent ceramic burr grinder. I've been using one for some time now, wouldn't want to miss it as the taste of your coffee using freshly ground beans is so much better!

Just had a quick browse around: e.g. http://www.fac.co.jp/fs/coffee/hario-mss1b/ not even 650 Baht; that's a steal! I just don't know whether this particular shop ships to Thailand, but I'm sure there are Japanese websites/shops that do. You could always contact them at http://www.fac.co.jp/fs/coffee/c/contact/

Edited by robenroute

Just 2 quick questions:

2. Roughly what would you consider as a your typical "cup" volume of coffee ("caffes" that I've had in Italy were very strong and served in what I would consider to be more like a thimble!).

Many thanks

R21

An easy question, difficult to answer. In very simple terms: it depends. I know, not much help, but I can give you the numbers for our coffee drinking habits.

Equipment we use:

- Moccamaster filter machine/perculator http://www.technivorm.com/products/brewers_for_home-use/kbgt_741_polished_silver/ (BTW, an excellent perculator that will probably last a lifetime)

- Hario Mini Mill MSS-1B

We normally drink our coffee in mugs (~200ml each). For 2 mugs of coffee, I use between 40 and 60 grams of fresh beans, ground medium-fine. It depends on the beans, roast, etc.

An easy question, difficult to answer. In very simple terms: it depends. I know, not much help, but I can give you the numbers for our coffee drinking habits.

Equipment we use:

- Moccamaster filter machine/perculator http://www.technivorm.com/products/brewers_for_home-use/kbgt_741_polished_silver/ (BTW, an excellent perculator that will probably last a lifetime)

- Hario Mini Mill MSS-1B

We normally drink our coffee in mugs (~200ml each). For 2 mugs of coffee, I use between 40 and 60 grams of fresh beans, ground medium-fine. It depends on the beans, roast, etc.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Very many thanks for your quick reply.

Regards

R21

Equipment we use:

- Moccamaster filter machine/perculator http://www.technivorm.com/products/brewers_for_home-use/kbgt_741_polished_silver/ (BTW, an excellent perculator that will probably last a lifetime)

- Hario Mini Mill MSS-1B

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Very many thanks for your quick reply.

Regards

R21

Glad it was of use, R21. Enjoy your coffee!

Just 2 quick questions:

Many thanks

R21

i have 2cups every morning[the red nescafe cups] 250grms last me a week,i have a electrolux drip machine and use 6heaped tea spoons at a time,what you get served up in a small cup and is strong is called expresso in the uk,you will see some drinking it like this to sober them up a bit if driving.

Coffee isn't just warm and energizing, it may also be extremely good for you. In recent years, scientists have studied the effects of coffee on various aspects of health and their results have been nothing short of amazing. I am also coffee lover. Is this true that Turkish and Arabic "coffees" also very different from western coffees???

Kopi Luwak

Coffee isn't just warm and energizing, it may also be extremely good for you. In recent years, scientists have studied the effects of coffee on various aspects of health and their results have been nothing short of amazing. I am also coffee lover. Is this true that Turkish and Arabic "coffees" also very different from western coffees???

Kopi Luwak

Turkish or Arabic coffee are different in the preparation not mandatory in the coffee beans quality.

Turkish coffee it's particular because they use the finest grade of coffee ground but they don't add any extra flavor or spices like Arab do.

Economic preparation due to you only need a coffee grinder, a pot and a filter to separate the coffee ground by the beverage.

As always there are many variant in the preparation by individual taste.

Is this true that Turkish and Arabic "coffees"  also very different from western coffees???

They're also very different from each other.

The Turkish coffee I'm used to is very strong and brewed on a stove in a pot that resembles a ladle. The resulting mix is poured, grounds and all, into an "espresso"-sized cup. It's thick and opaque due to the grounds, which settle to the bottom of the cup. I've ended up with painful kidney stones on two occasions after drinking such strong coffee in quantity.

The Arabic (Saudi - "Al-Qahwa") coffee that I've had is totally different - it's really delicious. It's lightly roasted and seasoned with cardamom. It's transparent and served in small handle-less cups - see (full-size) second photo. It's traditionally brewed in a specially shaped pot or "dallah" over a bed of charcoal and regularly served on ceremonial occasions by a specially dressed waiter.

For more details of both see the following wiki references:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_coffee

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee

I've also attached a photo of miniatures of the two different coffee pots. The one on the left is the Turkish "Cezve"; the one on the right a traditional Arabic "dallah".

R21

post-77561-13703488606599_thumb.jpg

post-77561-13703495634013_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Turkish coffee it's particular because they use the finest grade of coffee ground

Just for clarification, by "finest" grade I believe that you mean that it is ground to the "finest" powder rather than that they use only the "best" quality/grade of beans (which could be a subjective judgement)? ;-)

Regards

R21

Edited by Route21

Thank you for your reply, Quickmill and Route21. I wish, we have coffee together.

I think I'll have to pass on the invitation to drink any coffee beans that have been "meticulously selected" from the droppings of wild civet cats!

Reminds me of the dung beetles that some Thais eat. I was once passing by a house up country and heard an intermittent screeching. I asked what was going on and was told it was grandma cleaning the dung beetles. As she grabs each one, she stares it in the eye and screams. It scares the xxxx out of them!

Regards

R21

Edited by Route21
  • Like 1

Turkish coffee it's particular because they use the finest grade of coffee ground

Just for clarification, by "finest" grade I believe that you mean that it is ground to the "finest" powder rather than that they use only the "best" quality/grade of beans (which could be a subjective judgement)? ;-)

Regards

R21

exactly,wink.png

I also recommend the Vietnam stainless coffee filters. They are cheap and make decent coffee.

I bought french press (like Bodum) at Robinson for 150 baht. Work the same as bodum.

On another note I have http://www.lazada.co.th/Electrolux-EES-200-68709.html . IMO it is the best machine because they intentionally weighted the base so it does not dance around when you insert the portafilter. Has a pump and thermoblock. They include a "pod" adapter but can use ground coffee as well. It has a pressurized portafilter so more crema even with suboptimal grind. A burr grinder is highly recommended. This can make a very good espresso. Cappuccino also.

Edited by atyclb

Hey guys, I'm in BKK for a week or two and need a decent daily coffee place to go to. Does anyone have any suggestions of coffee shops in the Thonglor/Ekkamai area? Would be cool to find a place that roasts there own beans and had a wide selection of coffee

Hey guys, I'm in BKK for a week or two and need a decent daily coffee place to go to. Does anyone have any suggestions of coffee shops in the Thonglor/Ekkamai area? Would be cool to find a place that roasts there own beans and had a wide selection of coffee

Roast ( is the name of the place) Thonglor soi 13 just 100mt inside the soi on the left.

The owner is a master roaster and barista too, very nice person, they roast inside the place, which is even a beautiful international restaurant, i've no interest to suggest this place ( they don't buy my coffee machinelaugh.png) but it's worth a visit.

Check his website for the opening time.

Enjoy.

has anybody ever tried pea-berry coffee from kenya,i once met a coffee bean importer from the uk.and he gave me some to try as he said one of the best in the world[oh it was toooooo] but at aprox 1,800bht a kilo i will pass.

Right next to Ekkamai BTS is a large modern place called Coffee Club - it's about 90 baht for a black coffee, which is expensive by Thai standards (even the rip off Starbucks is only 75!)

The coffee is decent and the environment very nice to sit and watch the world go by outside.

It might not be expert level coffee like the place mentioned down Soi 13 but it's decent and has good Western food if that's your thing too.

You can't miss it.

Hi - do you mean 1,500 or did you really mean 150 baht?

That would be crazy cheap! I take it for that price it is a solo cup sized one?

Thanks.

I also recommend the Vietnam stainless coffee filters. They are cheap and make decent coffee.

I bought french press (like Bodum) at Robinson for 150 baht. Work the same as bodum.

On another note I have http://www.lazada.co.th/Electrolux-EES-200-68709.html . IMO it is the best machine because they intentionally weighted the base so it does not dance around when you insert the portafilter. Has a pump and thermoblock. They include a "pod" adapter but can use ground coffee as well. It has a pressurized portafilter so more crema even with suboptimal grind. A burr grinder is highly recommended. This can make a very good espresso. Cappuccino also.

That's £40 or so...

Thanks all...

340bht a kilo is excellent and for good coffee too. What is a nakon chai air bus office? Some kind of postal service? Thanks.