Blue Eyed Father, Brown Eyed Mother = Always Brown Eyed Child?

MrHammer

This would only be remotely possible if the Thai had a recessive blue-eyed gene (there are two main genes controlling eye colour not just one).

Thais would never have this unless their ancestry included a person with a blue-eyed gene, eg a european, and even then the chances of a blue-eyed child would be extremely low.

So it's a probabilility of pretty much zero, and completely zero with no foreign ancestry in the Thai.

Only exception would be if the Thai female had a completely new mutation for blue eyes that arose in one of her eggs and that was the one fertilised. This does happen, but here it would a probability so low that you could exclude it. But you could test for it.

Explanation of principle is here, in not too confusing article: http://genetics.thetech.org/how-blue-eyed-parents-can-have-brown-eyed-children

• Like 2

The old blue eyes - there are only 11% of us in the population I'm told and even less if you are left handed, and we all came from a common ancestor somewhere in Turkey. Isn't it good to be different !

Not great to be left handed according to mortality rates. smile.png

It's a right handed world which makes it a dangerous place for you guys.

So basically no chance of fostering a new 'breed' of blue eyed half asian half farang children? Unless if you have a child with a half farang girl in the first place, then you may or may not stand a chance?

There is no chance unless your Thai partner has some foreign ancestry, but it needn't be a parent. A grandparent (or great-grandparent, or even further back) would still make it possible. Otherwise no...

Edited by partington

So basically no chance of fostering a new 'breed' of blue eyed half asian half farang children? Unless if you have a child with a half farang girl in the first place, then you may or may not stand a chance?

Looks like that.

Blue = recessive

Brown = dominant

So, more likely chance for brown eyes, unless she has blue eyes somewhere in her genes.

http://www.athro.com/evo/inherit.html

Half Thai, brown eyed dad. Blue/Green eyed mother. We produced a very blue eyed girl.

Yes that's not unusual- half-Thai Dad can have a gene for blue eyes, and a gene for brown eyes - his eyes are brown because the brown-eyed gene is the one that shows up (= dominant).

There's only one of each gene per sperm: a blue-eyed gene sperm fertilized a blue/green-eyed gene egg = child with blue eyes.

Half Thai, brown eyed dad. Blue/Green eyed mother. We produced a very blue eyed girl.

The one on the left is definitely a luk kreung,she looks the spitting image of my friend's luk kreung daughter!laugh.png

Me blue eyes, mother dark brown eyes, 3 children light brown eyes.

Assuming my children all give me 2 x grandchildren each and marry a blue eyed person.

Then there is a strong possibility of 2 or more grandchildren having blue eyes.

At the end of the day, so long as their all healthy and happy i don't mind what colour their eyes are!

CCC

When I was 18 I was going to go to the US Air Force.

I remember going to see the recruiter, a very handsome blond hair/blue eyed man.

He was married to a Filipina woman and they had the cutest kids I've ever laid eyes on.

Both of them had blue eyes and blondish hair which I assume would get darker at some point just like mine did.

I have blue eyes, if I have a child with my Thai guy I assume their eyes will turn out brown but I wish they would be blue :/

From about 1963 or so until about 1972 there were tens of thousands of American Military servicemen stationed at major bases all over Thailand. The typical tour was one year with rotation in and out of personnel. So - over more than 10 years many tens of thousands of different American men were stationed in Thailand. There was much interaction between the Military service men and Thai women... girlfriend/boyfriend, marriages, etc.

I know this is not news for many on TVF, but the point is ... many Thai women of age - say 42 to 54 would likely carry a recessive gene for eye color. I have viewed thousands of photos on dating sites like badoo dot com and find many women of the 42 to 54 year age group to have definitive Farang - Westerner facial features. It is quite amazing.

If this is offensive to anyone - I apologize in advance - but it is just a fact of life ...

Wow. The child in the middle has amazing eyes.

Bangkok

I've only seen blue eyes once in BKK. The father was an English guy; his wife was Thai. They had two sons. Both had sky blue eyes.

Pattani

I've heard stories about a family of Portuguese descendants with blue eyes and the surname Santo Da Cunha. The story dates back several decades. It was reported by a UN guy. I've written to the guy (twice, in fact), and he's adamant that his story is real. I live in Pattani but have never seen these people.

Nakhon Sri Thammarat

My Thai GF's mother has green eyes. She is almost certainly of Dutch descent, but thus far this has been impossible to prove.

• Like 1

ive got blue grey, wife brown, our daughter blue!

Do remember that eye color changes during infancy.

Initially, my first son had hazel eyes (mine are blue; my ex had brown), but at the age of 2 or 3, his eyes became brown.

There is no chance unless your Thai partner has some foreign ancestry, but it needn't be a parent. A grandparent (or great-grandparent, or even further back) would still make it possible. Otherwise no...

My stepson's best friend, half Brit , half Thai, sky blue eyes 25 yrs old. Looks just like his father. Mother is Thai.

Edited by kennedy

I have blue eyes, and stuck with being left handed as well... :-)

When my half Thai daughter was born, she had astonishing blue eyes.

So much so the Thai medical staff would keep coming into the room

to look at her after she was born. The blue faded away in a few months,

and now she has the standard light brown eyes..

I have blue eyes, and stuck with being left handed as well... :-)

When my half Thai daughter was born, she had astonishing blue eyes.

So much so the Thai medical staff would keep coming into the room

to look at her after she was born. The blue faded away in a few months,

and now she has the standard light brown eyes..

I too am blue-eyed and left-handed.

Never heard of blue eyes fading (or changing) to brown, though.