Big Bore Kit For Klx 150, Any Thoughts ?

Anyone add a big bore kit to their KLX 150 ? If so, your thoughts ? Thinking about adding one to my bike. Sometime ago read a post on the internet, now can't find it.

There is kit available in the states that fits a 140, which believe is the same motor as the 150 ? A true bolt on kit , no case machining needed .

The Dtracker 250 can bypass the rev limiter by jumping the two wires that come out of the clutch lever.

Worth giving it a shot to see if it also works for the KLX 150.

I kep hearing about this 'clutch lever wire' thing. AFAIK those wires are simply for the in gear/sidestand/starter interlock.

What you may know and what you may not have tried may be two different things.

I kep hearing about this 'clutch lever wire' thing. AFAIK those wires are simply for the in gear/sidestand/starter interlock.

I have been riding over 40 years and owned more m/c's than I can remember (currently 6). On all of them, if fitted, the clutch wires have been a safety interlock. I am sure the 'rev limiter disable' is a myth along the lines of 'the fat red wire to the engine' on a CRF 250. If you disconnect the clutch wires does your bike still start in gear if you pull the clutch in?

T.

I am sure the 'rev limiter disable' is a myth along the lines of 'the fat red wire to the engine' on a CRF 250.

That would be like the de-restriction on an NSR250 then? The one that works! You know the one that is referred to in NSR circles as "The wire splice"

A good mantra for life would be "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it"

• Like 1

There are loads of these kits in Indonesia, so they must also be here somewhere. In Theory.

63mm which if my math is correct is 170cc.

Also camshaft and big valves.

Can't say if you need to machine the case though, you will have to ask.

I am sure the 'rev limiter disable' is a myth along the lines of 'the fat red wire to the engine' on a CRF 250.

That would be like the de-restriction on an NSR250 then? The one that works! You know the one that is referred to in NSR circles as "The wire splice"

A good mantra for life would be "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it"

The NSR250 wire splice is completely different, Google it for explanation. In the meantime, note the "Starter Lockout Switch" on the left handlebar cluster. Google or look at any M/c wiring diagram, you will see they all use a similar setup if fitted.

T.

2012-04-13_154946_klx250e_wiring_diagram

I have been riding over 40 years and owned more m/c's than I can remember (currently 6). On all of them, if fitted, the clutch wires have been a safety interlock. I am sure the 'rev limiter disable' is a myth along the lines of 'the fat red wire to the engine' on a CRF 250. If you disconnect the clutch wires does your bike still start in gear if you pull the clutch in?

T.

Edited by yankee99

The de-restriction of the Kawasaki KLX250 doesn't work for the Kawasaki KLX150, the reason is that the tweak on the KLX250 is an ECU based fix... The Kawasaki KLX150 doesn't have a ECU as it's equipped with a carburetor.

That the Kawasaki KLX150 is using a carburetor is a good thing, as you can buy online 180cc bore-up kits from Indonesia (no import duty) you also need to increase the carburetor size to get the extra performance you want...

Oh dear, looks like humble pie time. goof.gif There is an overwhelming concensus that the clutch de restriction does work. can't see why Kawasaki think it needs de restricting when the clutch is disengaged though. Possibly to enable blipping the throttle better when changing down?

T.