Fire Breaks Out At A Five-Star Hotel In Lampang, 100 Tourists Flee

webfact

Fire breaks out at Lampang hotel
The Nation

LAMPANG: -- A five-star hotel in this northern province was hit by a fire at 3 am, sending over 100 tourists to flee.

Police said the fire broke out inside a restaurant on the first floor of 11-storey Lampang Wiang Thong Hotel at about 3 am, sending smoke to engulf hotel rooms.

It was put out shortly after five engines rushed to the scene.

The fire alarm and smoke prompted over 100 tourists to flee on fire exits. Some of them were rushed to hospitals after they inhaled some smoke.

Police said the fire started by short-circuited power cable of a refrigerator in the restaurant.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-30

I find the use of the word 'flee' quite funny. It conjours visions of guests running off into the night in their pyjamas never to return. I am glad the hotel was evacuated safely and that it is not reported (yet) that people had any difficulty using the fire escapes.

• Like 2

I ended up looking for a hotel in Lampang at the last minute a couple years ago. I assure you, there are no 5 star hotels in the city, nowhere near. We checked out this one and it was creepy as hell, some sort of weird time warp from the 1950s with green carpet and furnishings that should have been replaced decades ago in the rooms we were shown. Basically a very dated conference center that will benefit enormously from the fire.

Five-star hotel in Lampang? Are they sure it's 5-star? By whose ratings?

It's listed as a three star, there are no five star hotels in Lampang.

Upgraded for insurance claims purposes? whistling.gif

chiang mai, on 30 May 2013 - 08:54, said:

alleykat, on 30 May 2013 - 08:49, said:

Five-star hotel in Lampang? Are they sure it's 5-star? By whose ratings?

It's listed as a three star, there are no five star hotels in Lampang.

The Wieng Thong is an old and crap hotel - I've stayed there before. There are a number of decent hotels in Lampang, including the nearby Wieng Lakorn Hotel, which unlike the Wieng Thong is actually quite new and offers good value for money. The Wieng Thong's only claim to fame is it's pool.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Lampang and I can assure you that there are no 5-star hotels here. The Viengtong hotel is a turdpile that may have been a nice place back in the 70's, but hasn't been upgraded since. It's stuck in a time warp like so many provincial Thai hotels.