Looking For House/apartment To Rent

chicoelnino

Myself and my girlfriend are moving to Thailand in a few weeks. We would like to rent either an apartment or house in the phuket area....patong/chalong area is fine for us.

Our budget is 10,000 - 12,000 max for rent per month.

We plan on just hopping on a bike when we get there and visiting a few places on the fly, but I'd like to get some opinions from those of you with experience from living out there in relation to things to look out for etc.

We've been to Thailand before backpacking and we loved it.

We will be working online, so having a decent internet connection is something that's necessary for us. Any suggestions on what's the best way to achieve this - internet dongle? I've heard of 3bb interent, but I don't know if that's through a landline or what.

We will also like to get a scooter, but we would think about buying a second hand one if the prices were suitable.

Having rented scooters before in Thailand, we know the risks(not just the health ones) associated with renting. We definitely don't like the idea of having to leave our passports with a company for the duration of our rental.

Can anyone recommend a few places for us to visit and see about either buying a second hand scooter/bike of some sort?

I appreciate any help that ye can provide to us.

Thanks.

I would recommend to buy a new scooter. With second hand prices as high as they are that is IMO much more attractive. Or buy a cheaper one at 10,000 Baht or so and see how long it lasts you.

Your plan is excellent: just drive around and see where that leads you.

Anything? Doesn't just have to be patong area. We are open to suggestions.

In Patong there are tons of guesthouse rooms on Nanai you can get for 10-12k. House is not likely there though you'd need at least 20k and then only for a bungalow on Patong hill I'd imagine.

If you don't mind being a bit out in chalong check out the townhouse communities next to makro you can get a three bedroom two story townhouse with a small back yard. Pretty mixed with Europeans Thais and mix families. Only thing that sucks there is if you are stuck next to noisy neighbors and most need at least a 6m contract. I think it would be 12-15k but brand new places and usually furnished.

there is a second hand bike place on jao faa west, right on the corner at chalong circle on your left as you come from homepro. they have a lot of second hand scooters

i know of an apartment to rent in chalong/rawai border area, if you are interested, PM me

steve

• 2 weeks later...

The escalators leading up to Robinsons from inside the Jungceylon car park hosts a 2nd hand motorbike market, dozens to choose from. For apartments to rent, try the classified here on TV or the Phuket Gazette. Phuket Palace in Patong has apartments renting in the 12-15k range, internet rent by the month.

there are two very good used motorycle shops in phuket town.

when ur heading into town from Patong past central mall ( on your right) straight across intersection and keep heading staright an d u will see the honda NEW bike shop on your right,

on the left are two used cycle shops. prices from 10,000 up.......

Kamala houses from 12,000-200,000 and more

You can get triple B just about anywhere and its only 590 baht/month and fast enough to stream or download movies

Edited by phuketrichard

Probably best NOT to try and rent a house long term until you get here... word of mouth is still the best estate agent on the island! Get a decent guest house on-line for 2-3 weeks. Buy a used bike. Start riding the sois in the area(s) you like. The for rent signs will be everywhere you look in low season. Pick your house and landlord carefully, on your terms, after you get here!

There are houses for 10K up in Rawai. Just drive around and talk to the locals. If you're going to buy a used motorbike, I would suggest a Honda Wave. They last forever and are really cheap to fix. You can aways upgrade later.

Great advice here, yes get cheap rental then cruise the area's that catch your eye if close stores no Roosters this is important they can be the worst. Noise all night long. FYI Watch out for Rawai Guest house on soi 9 saiyan, total ripoff. Also when renting make sure you have legal rental agreement, w/ good price for electric. 5 bht is good price per unit anything higher, is not good. Last year I rented a cool large room for 7000 but the electric bill turned out to be 3500 for the month. Total Scam.

Advice. If if its too good to be true, its a scam.....

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app