Scam At Pathum Thani Immigration Center

I had to get my extension of stay renewed yesterday at Pathum Thani immigration center. Two teachers could not come as they had classes. We have a very competent Thai person at the university whose sole function is to fill out the paperwork for the following processes: 90 day reporting, extension of stay, work permits, re-entry, and visas for Thai lecturers traveling or studying abroad. She is up to date on all of the required documents and photo sizes.

As we were sitting there waiting, I was watching the procedure for all the workers requesting visa extensions/renewals. The staff took out a ruler and measured the pictures submitted. Everyone had the wrong size picture. Miraculously, since I was there last year a whole slew of cottage shops have appeared along side the building. Photo taking and of course food and beverage shops. They told the people to go to one particular photo stand. When it was my turn to get "correct photo", our staff worker recognized the owner of the photo stand--she used to work in the immigration office! The charge is 20 baht for each photo. This is really not much but it delays your time as you lose your turn and then while waiting why not have some food/beverage? The new picture was a joke--they took a copy of the photo we had submitted and resized it. The face was elongated so our foreheads took up about half of the picture! Then it was 15 minutes before noon so they said go have lunch and come back.

Then for the teachers that couldn't be there, there was an added charge of 1,000 baht each added to the 1,900 baht fee. A 200 baht charge was added to the re-entry permit fee. Of course these EXTRA CHARGES were not on the official receipts--so there is no evidence to submit to other authorities.

I took my phone out to check for a message and one of the people told our staff worker in Thai no calls in here(i.e. no photos can be taken?)

Previously we would be at this office for maybe 30 minutes. Now it is crowded- most seats full (but certainly not as busy as Changwattana). With the photo scam it just adds to your time. When we finished our worker told me the immigration staff are looking at the AEC as a means of getting more money--under the table money I guess.

The extra charge is not official, but on the other hand you must apply for an extension of stay in person.

Are you sure about this? As understand from previous experiences that it is possible to be arranged by signing Power of Attorney?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You definitely need to be present in person to renew your extension of stay. I am surprised they bent the rules on this one. The helper from the language school should have known this.

The photo scam is undoubtedly as described a pathetic and annoying little scam.

I watched as the worker was assembling all of our pages at the university before leaving. She had two pages for the others that she didn't have for me--power of attorney form in English and in Thai-from the two teachers who weren't present--so they must have a procedure if someone can't come (perhaps for emergency purposes-- if you are in the hospital and they need to assist with your visa extension for tourists).

The Immigration forms may say that the applicant must attend in person for certain activities and I'm sure that's the law. But I now use a visa agent locally who manages all aspects of Immigration Department requirements of me, including issuance of a re-entry permit and I do not need to go to Immigration for this.

The form for an extension of stay specifically states you have to apply in person for an extension of stay.

The same goes for applying for a re-entry permit.

Which one is it Mario? It'd be handy to know as I don't live near my immi office.now.

Re-entry permits can be applied for in person or by an agent at Thai Immigration

The form for an extension of stay specifically states you have to apply in person for an extension of stay.

The same goes for applying for a re-entry permit.

Interesting... Although not what I have seen in reality

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I was not privy to the conversation...I sat in the waiting area. When we went to lunch the employee told me what happened. She also said at new year's the employees suggested she could get faster service by giving a gift to director of the imm center. She spoke to her boss and he ok'd a gift basket. Guess it only worked for a short time as we were there for 4 hours.

I just saw everyone getting turned away and pointed in the direction of the photo place.The size of the photo submitted was 4 cm x 6 cm--the size stated as required and what I've been using for the last five years. So it was definitely a scam. They may have used a ruler with a different sizing. The re-processed photo taken at the suggested booth was definitely bigger than that.

You'll wipe years off your life worrying about such things, best to just expect and accept that you'll be asked for something different from what you have/were expecting, somewhere in the process and that it will cost you a few baht in the process.

You definitely need to be present in person to renew your extension of stay. I am surprised they bent the rules on this one. The helper from the language school should have known this.

The photo scam is undoubtedly as described a pathetic and annoying little scam.

what about elderly retirees who can't get to the immigration department. I was told they can send someone lese

Edited by metisdead
Messed up quoted post repaired.

Not sure if scam or not, but before this last visit they would except a 4x5 photo without blinking an eye. This last time they wanted a 4x6 that is asked for on the form. Maybe the higher ups in Bangkok laid down the law. I brought my 4x6 photos in from Kodak--no problem.

The photo scam is undoubtedly as described a pathetic and annoying little scam.'

Regent House, Rajada hamri Rd. BKK have been doing it for years. This the place where you HAVE to go to submit forms for a UK visa for your Thai wife/GF.

I've written to the British Embassy about this den of Iniquity, in vain.

Not sure if scam or not, but before this last visit they would except a 4x5 photo without blinking an eye. This last time they wanted a 4x6 that is asked for on the form. Maybe the higher ups in Bangkok laid down the law. I brought my 4x6 photos in from Kodak--no problem.

My wife telephoned Sam Khok office last week to check what copies they wanted for a residency confirmation letter. The officer gave her all the info but we noticed that she emphasized the size of the photos several times, unusually so. This would seem odd to do if they want to get you to use the photo shop there. I see a lot of Asian non Thais there who can't even fill the forms in, let alone bother to bring photos and photocopies. Maybe these shops have sprung up to service this need.

I extended my stay earlier in the year. What was very noticeable was the vast increase on attention to detail and making sure everything was absolutley in order with the rules, whereas previously more discretion was used. A number of officers have changed there, and I also got the feeling they were being checked much more closely.

I guess I will see on my next visit.

The photo scam is undoubtedly as described a pathetic and annoying little scam.'

Regent House, Rajada hamri Rd. BKK have been doing it for years. This the place where you HAVE to go to submit forms for a UK visa for your Thai wife/GF.

I've written to the British Embassy about this den of Iniquity, in vain.

What happened? I just got 3 visitors visas no problem with the pics we supplied.

Quite frankly few of the comments are abslutely correct and I find it difficult to understand the objections raised. Following:

1) After 13 years in Thailand, one should be able to speak some Thai, although there are exception....

2) As far as Thai Airways not using Thai on theit Boarding Cards is concerned, they are just following the normal international standards by using only English. Are the Korean, Japanes, Israeli and other airlines use non Latin letters on their Boarding Cards?

3) Although English is not the most spoken language as a first language, most certainly it is the most used language as a second one. I therefore take it that in addition to the native language, most countries use the English language (that is what I have experienced in my frequent travels). Most certainly, if the majority of the tourists to a country use another language as a second one (like the Chinese tourists to Thailand, as I understand), then special forms in that language should be used in addition. If one travels to the US from some European countries (Germany, France and others) some forms are in that language.

Officially visa extensions have to be done in person. But every immigration office can make up their rules. I remember seeing representatives of travel offices with at least 50 passports of Chinese tourists.

Reporting, however, can be done by proxy.

although there are exception....

Even in English people make mistakes.tongue.png

Edited by sniffdog

I was at Pathumthani Immigration last week; I arrived with the forms filled out, prepared what docs were needed for my retirement extension; checked that the photo was 4 x 6cm as requested in the TM7 form; arrived at 9.30am and away at 10.45 with 1 year extension plus my re entry permit................ good friendly service, no problem, no complaints.

I was not privy to the conversation...I sat in the waiting area. When we went to lunch the employee told me what happened. She also said at new year's the employees suggested she could get faster service by giving a gift to director of the imm center. She spoke to her boss and he ok'd a gift basket. Guess it only worked for a short time as we were there for 4 hours.

I just saw everyone getting turned away and pointed in the direction of the photo place.The size of the photo submitted was 4 cm x 6 cm--the size stated as required and what I've been using for the last five years. So it was definitely a scam. They may have used a ruler with a different sizing. The re-processed photo taken at the suggested booth was definitely bigger than that.

When I went for my extension at Khon Kaen last year they refused to accept my photo as it was the wrong size.

Fair enough I suppose. It was the same size that I had always used, but it was 3.5 x 4.5 Cm. Of course, the immigration office itself had a photo service where they took the photo themselves with a small camera. 100 Baht for 4.

Photo quality was terrible and size was 5 x 7 Cm, so still incorrect!

When I have been back for 90 day reports, I see many people have their photos taken now, so it is an ongoing money earner.

Quite frankly few of the comments are abslutely correct and I find it difficult to understand the objections raised. Following:

1) After 13 years in Thailand, one should be able to speak some Thai, although there are exception....

2) As far as Thai Airways not using Thai on theit Boarding Cards is concerned, they are just following the normal international standards by using only English. Are the Korean, Japanes, Israeli and other airlines use non Latin letters on their Boarding Cards?

3) Although English is not the most spoken language as a first language, most certainly it is the most used language as a second one. I therefore take it that in addition to the native language, most countries use the English language (that is what I have experienced in my frequent travels). Most certainly, if the majority of the tourists to a country use another language as a second one (like the Chinese tourists to Thailand, as I understand), then special forms in that language should be used in addition. If one travels to the US from some European countries (Germany, France and others) some forms are in that language.

What does this have to do with the topic?

• Like 1