Dogs (Again)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than going though yet another endless round of your nitpicking posts, why not define "main roads". I have seen dogs killed when running out in front of cars on dual carriage roads in Thailand. Some years back a dog ran out in front of my pickup on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya. No time to avoid or brake and it was killed. Luckily I had a roo bar so did not have to spend thousands of baht to repair the front end.

Yes lucky indeed, would not want you to clean the blood or a dentrolleyes.gif

Remind me the speed limit again on Sukhumvit road? hence you could not brake or avoid.bah.gif

Got to love the excuses some make up for killing another living beingwhistling.gif

I'll indulge you, 60kms per hour on a town road in Thailand, unless sign posted otherwise. Travelling at 60kms per hour what's the reaction time and metres travelled to stopping distance? The dog ran out directly in front of me, I was on the inside lane, no room to avoid or even time to hit the brake pedal prior to collision.

As per usual you will not answer a direct question, but side track and post spurious responses

• Like 1

You are truly irritating or is this your sense of humour?

Did you feel like trolling or did not have an explanation?

UK definition of inside lane, also used in Australia, dog ran out from the inside lane kerbside, or what passes for such in Thailand.

The official British Highway Code uses the term right hand lane, due to right hand drive (driving on the left). Unofficially, the overtaking lane is also called the outer or outside lane, since the edge of the road nearer to the verge (or nearer the hard shoulder, if there is one) is considered "inside" the other lanes. The lane nearest to the verge (or hard shoulder) is officially the left hand lane, or unofficially the "inner" or "inside lane"

Edited by simple1

There's a little black dog that runs around on Doi Suthep, he'll bust out of the trees all of a sudden all smiley and shit, tongue hanging out the side.

He's cute though, want to capture him for a pet...lol

Got to love the excuses some make up for killing another living being

Just think of the hundreds of bugs and other living beings your vehicle kills everytime you go driving in the evening.

How could you, YOU MONSTER!

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

Note to self & others Lemoncake is a troll. TV Forum rule 5 provides the definition.

Do not feed the troll

Edited by simple1

I once saw a paraplegic dog moving just with his front legs and pulling his body over the tarmac of the street. It was a very sad thing to see this. I dont know if its good that thai people still feed such poor creature. Maybe it would be better to let the dog die / kill it? I dont know, i just wish this wouldn't happen so often and some reckless drivers would drive slower. There is a difference between dogs and humans, so its up to the human to be responsible for his actions smile.png

Good luck to all creatures. Stay safe. And yes, i may would run over a dog too if i had to avoid a horrific accident. So i try to do my best to take care it doesn't happen.

Moderators, maybe better to close this thread. It will lead to nowhere.

• Like 1

I have been following this entertaining post for a while. I have to say that I find it very entertaining that some people believe that their not hitting a dog comes down to their skill. It is more likely just a matter of the numbers. Plenty of experienced riders and drivers have hit all sorts of interesting moving and static objects causing them to spill or crash. Not hitting a dog is just luck more than judgement. Moving a 80km/h and having a dog come out of a bush or from behind a parked car leaves NO room for error and suddenly reacting on a bike might well actually cause an accident that wouldn't have happened. I just let the dog makes it's choice. Straight braking and the horn is all there is in situations where the dog appears in front of you with 5m to spare. Better just hope it is an experienced dog that knows to keep on moving.

• Like 2

Exactly! No matter how slow you drive, there can ALWAYS be an unavoidable collision situation with animal. I hit dog once (driving a car though) in Canada and had some very close calls with those dumb deer which there are plenty in Alberta.

On my last trip to Canada I bought this thing for my bike still, I think it would work on dogs too, not just deers. $10

post-111234-0-19602800-1370218444_thumb.

I once saw a paraplegic dog moving just with his front legs and pulling his body over the tarmac of the street. It was a very sad thing to see this. I dont know if its good that thai people still feed such poor creature. Maybe it would be better to let the dog die / kill it?

1vj1DPV.gif

• Like 1

Dogs that run after your motorcycle often are offended by the smell of your motorcycle, Say you parked your motorcycle at BigC near CentralWorld and a dog pees against the wheel without you seeing it... then you ride home and pass a group of dogs that are somewhat irritated and on high alert, maybe not so long ago a dog or a group of dogs tried to invade their territory... And then you come riding into the neighborhood with the smell of a dog they not know.... yes they can smell you from far away...

Only solution wash your bike regular with something that eliminate the odor of dog pie.... If you not clean the dog pie smell of your wheels you will have dog pee on your wheels every time you park your motorcycle... similar with cars...

For dogs on the road you can try to install a high pitch horn additional to the regular horn... seems to work...

That's complete nonsense.

Unless you are riding very slowly or with a very strong wind on your back, it is physically impossible for a dog or any animal to smell you before you passed it.

• Like 2

This video shows everyone dogs need to be on a leash ALL THE TIME. This video, although not shot in Thailand is an example for what happens here every single day. I know In Thailand most dogs will never be on a leash so i adjust my riding style a bit but this video shows you nothing will save you , even driving around at 50kph where 80 is allowed.

Dog ( and other animal lovers) lovers might not want to see this........

Edited by pokerkid

Dogs that run after your motorcycle often are offended by the smell of your motorcycle, Say you parked your motorcycle at BigC near CentralWorld and a dog pees against the wheel without you seeing it... then you ride home and pass a group of dogs that are somewhat irritated and on high alert, maybe not so long ago a dog or a group of dogs tried to invade their territory... And then you come riding into the neighborhood with the smell of a dog they not know.... yes they can smell you from far away...

Only solution wash your bike regular with something that eliminate the odor of dog pie.... If you not clean the dog pie smell of your wheels you will have dog pee on your wheels every time you park your motorcycle... similar with cars...

For dogs on the road you can try to install a high pitch horn additional to the regular horn... seems to work...

Unless you are riding very slowly or with a very strong wind on your back, it is physically impossible for a dog or any animal to smell you before you passed it.

The average dog in Thailand has about 10,000 times better smelling capability that a human. The average humans has 5 million scent receptors while a German Shepherd for example has 225 million sent receptors.

Also a dog brain has also a specialized part for identifying scents. The percentage of the dog's brain that is devoted to analyzing smells is actual 40 times larger than that of a human.

Also we have to understand that dog pie, especially when it was done to mark territory, is so that other dogs can smell it from very far and know to stay away...

My dog can tell when a lady who sells Mu-Jang (BBQ pork-satat sticks) comes into our moobaan, that is probably around 1 km from my home...

But I have to say you need to be riding a bit slower, otherwise you would not even notice the dogs running after your motorcycle...

The average dog in Thailand has about 10,000 times better smelling capability that a human. The average humans has 5 million scent receptors while a German Shepherd for example has 225 million sent receptors.

Also a dog brain has also a specialized part for identifying scents. The percentage of the dog's brain that is devoted to analyzing smells is actual 40 times larger than that of a human.

Also we have to understand that dog pie, especially when it was done to mark territory, is so that other dogs can smell it from very far and know to stay away...

My dog can tell when a lady who sells Mu-Jang (BBQ pork-satat sticks) comes into our moobaan, that is probably around 1 km from my home...

But I have to say you need to be riding a bit slower, otherwise you would not even notice the dogs running after your motorcycle...

it's pee Richard , not pie.......

This video shows everyone dogs need to be on a leash ALL THE TIME. This video, although not shot in Thailand is an example for what happens here every single day. I know In Thailand most dogs will never be on a leash so i adjust my riding style a bit but this video shows you nothing will save you , even driving around at 50kph where 80 is allowed.

This was not in a city or a village, so according to fruitcake, that dog didnt exist

• Like 1

Good you havent forgotten you are in Thailand. Most dogs in Thailand don't have an owner. Often there are people feeding the animals and thats fine. One of the nice things thai people do. So the dog stays near the people feeding them. Nice, sounds like heaven.

But feel free to start an action group "Bikers against dogs without leash". And don't forget to leash the other bigger animals, that might cross your way. And children. And scooters. Wish you good luck biggrin.png

Edited by wantan

This was not in a city or a village, so according to fruitcake, that dog didnt exist

well he sure doesn't exist anymore now

Edited by pokerkid

Good you havent forgotten you are in Thailand. Most dogs in Thailand don't have an owner. Often there are people feeding the animals and thats fine. One of the nice things thai people do. So the dog stays near the people feeding them. Nice, sounds like heaven.

But feel free to start an action group "Bikers against dogs without leash". And don't forget to leash the other bigger animals, that might cross your way. And children. And scooters. Wish you good luck biggrin.png

apart from goats, dogs are the most unpredictable things on the roads here in Thailand. followed closely by the Thais themselves offcourse,

Edited by pokerkid

• 5 weeks later...

I love dogs but after having been living here for the last seven months have now realised what an absolute menace they are to bikers. I've been riding bikes of all shapes and sizes for 25 years and over here I've acquired an old Honda Dream.

You know the score here - dogs wander about all over the place and often laze about in the road. Most of the time, you can anticipate where they're heading and can avoid them. That is, of course, apart from the ones that chase after you barking and growling.

I make fairly frequent long trips and a couple of months back was slowing down as I entered a small town when I noticed a dog walk out into the road ahead of me: I blasted my horn but it doubled back into my path and I hit it head on (thankfully) and managed to stay aboard. Phew. I know that there's a much better chance of staying on if you hit it square and thankfully it worked.

However, last week I wasn't so fortunate - had a colleague on the back and we were just going along steady down a country road and this large barking dog just leapt from the verge, straight into my front wheel, sending us sprawling into the road; I had absolutely no time to react. Cuts and bruises but relatively OK and bike needed minor straightening. The dog, by the way, was perfectly OK and just sat on the other side of the road continuously barking at us. Upon hearing of this, my Thai colleagues all started to share stories of their own road mishaps with dogs.

So, my question is this (and I've been trying to work this through in my head): would a bigger bike withstand a dog-strike better than the Dream or if you get hit by a dog, are you just lucky to stay in the saddle anyway?

Dan

Everytime I have been on a bigger bike here in Thailand dogs never seem to run out or chase the bike, they tend to be scared of the noise of the bike this is only my experiance.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Everytime I have been on a bigger bike here in Thailand dogs never seem to run out or chase the bike, they tend to be scared of the noise of the bike this is only my experiance.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It has been my experience as well, my bike is a 250 kg cruiser and it's loud, however I've had a close call with a dog a few weeks back.

Went with a GF to some National Park, about 30 km from her village, as it was a relatively short ride I wasn't wearing my full riding gear and neither did she. Was riding wearing shorts, slippers, pot-helmet and sunglasses. GF was covered a little better as most Thai girls she's scared of sun but what COULD have happened wouldn't protect her much anyways.

When returning from the Park, we were riding through some small village, wasn't going fast and there was no traffic, nothing at all on the road, I was relaxed enjoying the ride and didn't have my guards on when that huge Great Dane type of dog with 2 pups playfully run into the road in front of me. I wasn't ready for it and if she didnt' notice me coming and not buggered off in the last second, I would've smashed into it.

Now I went through many sort of scenarios in my head of what I would do if there's a dog running in front of me, with a bike the size of mine, the most logical thing would be to hit a dog square on, but I wasn't ready to hit a horse, its head was almost at the same level with mine while sitting on a bike and it was kind of coming into my path so it could have hit my front wheel on the side.

Well, as I went past, my heart stopped for a sec then started pounding so bad I could feel my eyeballs pulsating and my hands were shaking badly. Had to pull over and calm down for a min.

Since then decided to cut my short - no riding gear trips even shorter.

Wow just wow. Not even close. But funny view

You know I never liked too loud but you may have given me a pretty good reason

to reconsider smile.png

I know many like loud to also alert cars etc but I never really have a problem with drivers as I see

& anticipate. but a darting animal might get me eventually smile.png

• Like 1

I put air horns on the bike....scares the shit out of dogs (And a few humans too), GF hates them but they have saved me from an accident time and time again. Had one accident with dog in the Phils, managed to stay on the bike by hitting it square on. Luckily it wasnt a Great Dane so I didnt go over the handlebars.

Have heard of too many bad accidents where drivers/riders swerve.

I have unfortunately stepped in a dog pie from time to time.wink.png

I have my doubts about people who claim to have problems with dogs wherever they go. Are the dogs up here in the North really that different? I never seem to have a problem with dogs.huh.png

You live far up in the north iirr. Yes, maybe dogs are different there. I visited a friend near Fang at songkran and we had some nice bicycle rides in the area. Not a single dog problem. I did not even notice a dog. My friend told me most dogs have been eaten by the people living there and by the hill tribes. And the few dogs who survived were scared of humans. Just an assumption. You may know better?

I don’t live among the hill tribes but do drive through villages and see lots of dogs, chickens, cats and various other farm animals. Maybe because I see them, I don’t end up hitting them.wink.png

I know most of the dogs in our area and it pains me when some inconsiderate individual kills one due to negligence and reckless driving.sad.png

I understand how you feel and won't defend the driving habits in Thailand, but don't you think the owners have some responsibility to train/control their dogs? I see oodles of dogs that are wearing collars running around, dashing out onto the streets and nobody seems to care. You can tell that they belong to this or that shop owner, etc. because they're generally (all 5 or so) hanging around the shop. It seems to me that Thai dog owners don't do anything to protect these animals or even think in terms of logic.

Thai dogs think they don't belong to anyone and I bet Thais agree with them. :D I don't see anyone anywhere babysit their dogs, they are always on their own come and go as they please (usually come back for food) with the exception of small pocket dogs of hi-so's.