Sand Flies/midges

Does anybody know anything about these little monsters. When i go to a certain area of garden without protection i am attacked and have the hell bitten out of me. They are invisible and its not till its too late do i start to feel the stinging similiar to a mozzie bite. They are only in a certain area about 4x4 metres where the builders dumped sand and mixed concrete last year leaving a few inches of sand around.

Is there any easy way to get rid of them.

Try coconut oil. works fine for me. Somebody told me that they can't sting/bite you then because their wings will immediately be soaked with the oil on your body. Your can also spray water with sugar inside but I think then you have to deal with ants>_>

Sent by pigeon carrier

Try coconut oil. works fine for me. Somebody told me that they can't sting/bite you then because their wings will immediately be soaked with the oil on your body. Your can also spray water with sugar inside but I think then you have to deal with ants>_>

Sent by pigeon carrier

I have good anti insect cream thanks. Just want to find a way to eliminate the buggers completely from the garden

Sent by pigeon carrier

I have good anti insect cream thanks. Just want to find a way to eliminate the buggers completely from the garden

Try kerosene (or diesel)....that kills most things

• Like 1

Sent by pigeon carrier

Try kerosene (or diesel)....that kills most things

Yes including the grass! Thanks, but there must be something better than that old 'bushie' recipe.

They like sand in which they lay their eggs.

Either get rid of the sand, or alternatively rake the sand and that will disturb the eggs. Then use an insecticide on the area. You will have to repeat.

If the sand is covered with grass, then you will just have to use the insecticide.

Either get rid of the sand, or alternatively rake the sand and that will disturb the eggs. Then use an insecticide on the area. You will have to repeat.

If the sand is covered with grass, then you will just have to use the insecticide.

Sounds like good advice to me, but i am not a midge expert sad.png

You didn't say bu99er all about grass in your first post...rolleyes.gif

They are only in a certain area about 4x4 metres where the builders dumped sand and mixed concrete

tongue.png

"Area of garden, area of garden" biggrin.png

I was wondering if there is a spray for bigger areas on the market. Tried looking, but everything in that line is printed in Thai so i cannot read it.

I was wondering if there is a spray for bigger areas on the market. Tried looking, but everything in that line is printed in Thai so i cannot read it.

I have a big sprayer, rule of thumb is one cap full for plants , perhaps use 10 ml per litre for the critters.You can spray a huge area.

I purchased mine from a garden shop, you wear it on your back & it has a side lever to build up the pressure.

Some bug has been bugging me for several weeks now, I never see or feel them biting, but the get under the skin and then cause, itching but it's usually after a small scab has formed, mostly on my sexy legs tongue.png or upper arm and shoulders! They've been driving me crazy crazy.gif Locals say it's mosquitoes ... but I know not them,wink.png

Gai Pharmacy thought it could be sand flies, and gave some cream, which helps a little...

But it's hard to pin point whether I pick these up at the beach or walking along sandy trials or through grass... w00t.gif

Not sure I would want to walk along with my back pack sprayer as I go!! wink.png .... I would have no idea what might kill the little beasties anyway! sad.png

I have a big sprayer, rule of thumb is one cap full for plants , perhaps use 10 ml per litre for the critters.You can spray a huge area.

I purchased mine from a garden shop, you wear it on your back & it has a side lever to build up the pressure.

Got the knapsack sprayer, just cannot find the stuff to put in it thanks.

Some bug has been bugging me for several weeks now, I never see or feel them biting, but the get under the skin and then cause, itching but it's usually after a small scab has formed, mostly on my sexy legs tongue.png or upper arm and shoulders! They've been driving me crazy crazy.gif Locals say it's mosquitoes ... but I know not them,wink.png

Gai Pharmacy thought it could be sand flies, and gave some cream, which helps a little...

But it's hard to pin point whether I pick these up at the beach or walking along sandy trials or through grass... w00t.gif

Not sure I would want to walk along with my back pack sprayer as I go!! wink.png .... I would have no idea what might kill the little beasties anyway! sad.png

I will have to ask Gai or maybe Heng Kee might know something.

Sounds a bit hippy but try a 1:10 mix of Listerine (yep - the mouthwash) to water.

I watched an uncle spray the back yard to get rid of mosquitos before a family bbq the next day - seemed to work.

No expert, but am guessing it will not be too tough on the grass.

Sounds a bit hippy but try a 1:10 mix of Listerine (yep - the mouthwash) to water.

I watched an uncle spray the back yard to get rid of mosquitos before a family bbq the next day - seemed to work.

No expert, but am guessing it will not be too tough on the grass.

I just did a Google search, just to see what it came up with about sand flies, midges... also known as No see em's in north America...

It could be the alcohol in Listerine ...? Red wine was also suggested that would be a waste of good wine! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

I cannot say I remember having such a problem with them here before.... weather conditions etc must be a factor this year.... w00t.gif

The "no see em", name is correct, as I don't see em, or feel them, until a scab a few centimeters across forms sad.png

The other med along with the cream, that Gai gave me was an anti allergy med called Fenafex... to stop the itching ...

I have tried vinegar, and Calamine lotion too... think those are mentioned in this link... if not there in another link on the subject ! wink.png

http://www.sandfly-mosquito-repellents.com/sand-fly-and-mosquito-bite-remedies/little-known-mozzie-and-sandfly-remedies/

The problem is I cannot say for sure that this is the correct diagnosis.... Gai just thought "it might be" .... but the fast few days, it does seem to be getting less of a problem.

If you are looking for something to numb the itchy stinging caused by these midges, i have just the thing.

Neurofen Gel, its used for painful sprains, comes in a green tube and can be bought at many pharmacies, i get mine from the one under Big C Chaweng. It contains ibruprophen 5%. just rub it on the bites for instant relief.

• Like 1