High Yield Bond Investments

not recommended for the faint hearted! wink.png

JC Penney Cusip US708160BL99 - USD 9.53% (T1)

Russian Standard ISIN XS0841677387 - USD 9.95% (LT2 cum)

Gazprom ISIN XS0877983642 - RUB 7.94%

RSHB ISIN XS0748114005 - RUB 8.41%

Talanx ISIN XS0768664731 - EUR 6.67% (LT2 cum)

Bumi ISIN USY10038AA81 - USD CY 13.98% / YTM 17.38%

Electricidad Caracas ISIN XS0356521160 - USD CY 10.10% / YTM 13.83%

Provincia Buenos Aires ISIN XS0290125391 - USD CY 14.37% / YTM 17.09%

more on demand!

• Like 2

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

keep them coming

Axtel ISIN USP06064AB83 - USD CY 10.88% / YTM 13.96%

Argentina ISIN XS0501195480 - USD CY 11.10% / YTM 17.60%

OGX ISIN USP7356YAA12 - USD CY 14.78% / YTM 24.53%

PdVSA Cusip USP7807HAQ85 - USD CY 10.83% / YTM 11.33%

Cell C ISIN XS0224153360 - €UR CY 10.80% / YTM 10.00%

Venezuela ISIN US922646AS37 - USD CY 9.97% / YTM 10.45%

• Like 1

thanks Naam, keep them coming. BTW i have still got my LLOY and RBS prefs which i notice in an earlier thread you said you had now sold, is this what you switched into?

i assume you hold GBP. i had RBS CH0180006097 denominated in CHF and Lloyds XS0717735400 denominated in €UR.

most info is available based on ISINs but not all websites quote minimum trading batches.

OGX............................USD 200,000

CEll C..........................€UR 50,000

Russian Standard........USD 200,000

Gazprom......................RUB 5 million

RSHB..........................RUB 3 million

Bumi............................USD 100,000

Talanx..........................€UR 100,000

Electricidad Caracas...USD 100,000

Edited by Naam

most info is available based on ISINs but not all websites quote minimum trading batches.

Well on those figs would forget Gazprom and left with Talanx. What's the front risk with them?

thanks Naam, keep them coming. BTW i have still got my LLOY and RBS prefs which i notice in an earlier thread you said you had now sold, is this what you switched into?

i assume you hold GBP. i had RBS CH0180006097 denominated in CHF and Lloyds XS0717735400 denominated in €UR.

yes exactly; the LLOY 9.25 (GB00B3KS9W93) and the 9.75 (GB00B3KSB238) perpetuals and the RBS (ex Nat West ) 9 (GB006227051) also a perpetual

Naam

Posting a step by step guide of how to purchase these bonds would prove useful for TV members.

pickup your phone and call your broker, place your order, wait on confirmation, job läuuu

yes exactly; the LLOY 9.25 (GB00B3KS9W93) and the 9.75 (GB00B3KSB238) perpetuals and the RBS (ex Nat West ) 9 (GB006227051) also a perpetual

wordchild,

I hold those same 3 as well and have done for some time.

Seem a little highly priced now compared to previously but it`s quite difficult to get decent yields without taking on excessive risk.

I`ll continue to hold for now.

I also have some Aviva perpetual prefs, only know the ticker code GACA ( 8.875 % ), also gone up a fair bit of late though.

Naam

Interesting list, thanks.

All the Best

Naam

Posting a step by step guide of how to purchase these bonds would prove useful for TV members.

Manarak has mentioned already the procedure, i.e. call your bank or your broker, all what is required are the unique identification codes.

but before making any investment one should do some research concerning risk involved, liquidity, maturities, currency outlook, etc.; a complex undertaking which is extremely difficult for a newbie.

• Like 1

Naam

pickup your phone and call your broker, place your order, wait on confirmation, job läuuu

Be careful.

Bond brokers are notoriously non-transparent to the point of systemic corruption.....and can be swingeingly expensive.

Naam may have something to say on filtering brokers.......

Edited by cheeryble

wordchild,

I hold those same 3 as well and have done for some time.

Seem a little highly priced now compared to previously but it`s quite difficult to get decent yields without taking on excessive risk.

I`ll continue to hold for now.

I also have some Aviva perpetual prefs, only know the ticker code GACA ( 8.875 % ), also gone up a fair bit of late though.

Naam

Interesting list, thanks.

All the Best

yes i know what you mean and i have sold a little of all 3 recently as i think the best of the capital gain has been had but ,as you say, yield is hard to come by and i like the fact they are perpetuals . (btw i have the Aviva ords, a fairly recent purchase, rather than the pref)

I hold those same 3 as well and have done for some time. Seem a little highly priced now

if you bought them in march/april 2009 you have made 3-400% plus fat interest.

yes i know what you mean and i have sold a little of all 3 recently as i think the best of the capital gain has been had but ,as you say, yield is hard to come by and i like the fact they are perpetuals . (btw i have the Aviva ords, a fairly recent purchase, rather than the pref)

no more capital gains on T1 perpetuals unfortunately and danger of calls looming with Basel III around the corner.

I only recognised a few of the names, but the one that stuck out to me was Bumi. That's the company that's just revealed a $201 million black hole in its accounts. The implication is that it was either paid as bribes or was stolen.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-31/bumi-says-201-million-missing-after-review-of-berau-finances.html

The high yields just reflect the fact that these bonds are all high risk. A real risk of losing all your money. Definitely not for widows and orphans.

I hold those same 3 as well and have done for some time. Seem a little highly priced now

yes, not a bad return for a bunch of bonds!

Yes, but that's the rear-view mirror.
  • Like 1

Yes, but that's the rear-view mirror.

not for those of us who were lucky enough to have bought them then!

• Like 1

Well on those figs would forget Gazprom and left with Talanx. What's the front risk with them?

who is "them"? Talanx?

wordchild:

not for those of us who were lucky enough to have bought them then!

2009 = best year ever! thumbsup.gif

Think everyone had a good 2009! Equities, bonds, gold, oil.... smile.png

gold a meager +50%, crude oil minus 40%, equities depends where and what... but HY bonds +300-500% = thumbsup.gif

who is "them"? Talanx?
Aye.

who is "them"? Talanx?

Aye.

solid company. mother hen holding of German Hannover Reinsurance and a bunch of other insurers. globally active.

homepage: http://www.talanx.com/?sc_lang=en

So my question is though Q1 profits are down, the forward guidance appears positive, so why the high bond rates presuming that they could borrow at lower rates? What is the hole or rather anticipated hole which forces the higher rate?