Bangkok's Iconic Chatuchak Market Under Threat Of Closure

webfact

Visiting both chatuchak and asiatique last two years, could'nt help noticing that an increasing amount of tourists are (being by tour-operators)

redirected/attracted to the latter. chatuchak attracts fewer people constantly over time, as the asiatique does opposite(and copies

quite a bit of the concept of chatuchak).

Heck in a few years asiatique will have the same shoving and pushing as chatuchak in its "golden days"

New project pleasewink.png

Asiatique is tedious....Chatachuk is good fun and much more of a local feel to it. Its cheap....whereas Asiatique is having expensive everything.

Totally different crowd at each. I prefer Chatachuk by a country mile!

Visiting both chatuchak and asiatique last two years, could'nt help noticing that an increasing amount of tourists are (being by tour-operators)

redirected/attracted to the latter. chatuchak attracts fewer people constantly over time, as the asiatique does opposite(and copies

quite a bit of the concept of chatuchak).

Heck in a few years asiatique will have the same shoving and pushing as chatuchak in its "golden days"

New project pleasewink.png

Asiatique is tedious....Chatachuk is good fun and much more of a local feel to it. Its cheap....whereas Asiatique is having expensive everything.

Totally different crowd at each. I prefer Chatachuk by a country mile!

I have not been to Asiatique so cant comment from that perspective, but Chatuchak is THE world famous Bangkok weekend market - it would be a tremendously idiotic thing to allow the SRT to screw that up - of course that's not to say that they are bright enough to work that out...but still...

"the rent that was demanded by the shop owners/ leasers was ranging between 13000 to 27000 the per month." hmm My guess is that some vested interests rent the shops for that low ball figure, with no intention of opening a shop, then sublease at those much greater prices. How about raising the rents, but REQUIRING those who rent the spaces actually have a shop there? Fat chance that is going to happen. Net effect would be actual vendors paying less, cutting our speculators, RR getting more pay. Everybody happy except the sub leasors who no doubt have good connections....so it won't happen.

. so what I understand from the info that I've been able to gather so far is that only 10 percent of them , I mean the actual lessors run their own shop apart from them everyone have re rented it at a much higher price. honestly what the sort is demanding is not more than 4000 baht and I would like some one to assist me to get a shop for twice the price, I'm willing to pay 8000 baht but I know won't find a place 8 * 8 in that figure, it's all about earning money, they just don't want to give a share of the extra income earned to srt,

You do realise the cost of space there don't you? A 2 x 2 shop sells for nearly 2 million baht - so your 8 x 8 is 4 shops by 4 shops - that's 16 shops, so probably around the 24 to 30 million baht figure... a 3 bedroom house at 3 million baht to buy will end up being a bank mortgage rate of somewhere around 20,000 a month...

Yes I believe the current +/- 30,000 per month price is for sub-leased spaces - a Thai friend was paying around that figure for her fashion shop.

But I will miss Chatuchak - especially the artist section where I always enjoy seeing new talent at work sad.png