Moldy-Smelling Rice

Wavefloater

I bought a 5 kg. bag of brown rice from one of the major retailers -- one where you need a membership card, and they sell many items in large quantities. I washed the rice 3 times, as I usually do, and cooked it in my good old reliable rice cooker. When it had finished cooking and I opened the lid, a terrible smell wafted out -- a distinct moldy smell. I then opened the bag and smelled the raw rice, and sure enough the whole bag has a terrible moldy smell.

Has anybody else encountered any moldy-smelling rice recently? Are we starting to see effects of the rice pledging scheme, where they are stockpiling it for too long? Perhaps the problem is showing up quicker with brown rice (which doesn't have as long a shelf life). BTW, when I bought the rice, I checked to make sure the bag didn't have any pinholes or leaks -- it was properly sealed, so the moldy smell wasn't the result of damaged packaging.

This situation has made me lose confidence in eating Thai rice. Does anybody know where I can buy imported rice, perhaps from India?

take it back,i have a good idea where you bought it,maybe they already know about the dodge rice if others have complained but wont take it off the shelves,why i say this is that we bought an item and after 2weeks the wf.took it back,she was told by one of the staff dont have the same one as the whole batch were faulty,but would the bird on the customer service counter change for a different one,would she <>.the the wf.threatened to call a tv.station [success].we also had butter from the same store black mould inside
so if their store room has no ventilation food will get mouldy.

take it back,i have a good idea where you bought it,maybe they already know about the dodge rice if others have complained but wont take it off the shelves,why i say this is that we bought an item and after 2weeks the wf.took it back,she was told by one of the staff dont have the same one as the whole batch were faulty,but would the bird on the customer service counter change for a different one,would she <>.the the wf.threatened to call a tv.station [success].we also had butter from the same store black mould inside

so if their store room has no ventilation food will get mouldy.

Thanks.

The store we`re referring to was out of stock of this product until only 2-3 weeks ago, so I doubt if their stockroom caused the problem in this case. My suspicion is that the rice was packaged that way.

It sounds like your wife had a lot of trouble dealing with customer service, and that`s my concern. I really don`t need the frustration and will just eat the 200 baht (so to speak) by tossing it. I just won`t buy rice from these guys anymore, but I`d really like to know if anybody else has encountered any bad (moldy-smelling) rice lately.

I purchase my rice from the shops where they scoop it right from the big sacks in whatever amounts you like, easy enough to check it out before paying.

I also have had very good luck with the in-house Tesco-branded "hom mali", usually a good price and all the Thais in my household say aroi.

I purchase my rice from the shops where they scoop it right from the big sacks in whatever amounts you like, easy enough to check it out before paying.

I also have had very good luck with the in-house Tesco-branded "hom mali", usually a good price and all the Thais in my household say aroi.

Thanks.

Good point about the shops and market stalls that have the big bulk bags. I've never bought it from this places because I have no idea how long it's been sitting or what's been crawling in/on it. I assumed buying it at a major retailer would assure a fresher and safer product, but....

I'm hoping that I just got a bag from a bad batch and when I replace it with Tesco's hom mali (which I agree is nice rice) things will be back to normal. It would be awful to completely lose faith in the safety of Thai rice when living here.

Thanks.

Good point about the shops and market stalls that have the big bulk bags. I've never bought it from this places because I have no idea how long it's been sitting or what's been crawling in/on it. I assumed buying it at a major retailer would assure a fresher and safer product, but....

I'm hoping that I just got a bag from a bad batch and when I replace it with Tesco's hom mali (which I agree is nice rice) things will be back to normal. It would be awful to completely lose faith in the safety of Thai rice when living here.

I've very sure that a small mom & pop vendor is monitoring quality control much more effectively than the big chains, and if providing poor quality would be out of business much more quickly.