Mountain Collapses Over Limestone Crushing Plant In Phetchburi, Killing 6

webfact

Death toll rises to 6 in rock collapse at quarry in Phetchaburi
By Digital Media

13702390516648.jpg

PHETCHABURI, June 3 - A rock collapse killed six workers at a quarry in this southern province following heavy rain, trapping three or four other workers beneath the rubble. Rescue operations are underway to save the trapped workers.

The incident took place while workers at the Phetsamut Company were on the job in this province's Khao Yoi district, about 110km southwest of Bangkok.

Exposed stone being extracted collapsed while workers were at their worksites and a number of rocks overhead fell and destroyed three backhoes, three trucks transporting stone, and two pickup trucks.

Three or four workers were trapped inside. Local authorities are investigating the case and trying to rescue the workers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-2013-06-03

As sad as i feel for the workers and their families, I get upset over, Why don't they learn??

Less than a week ago, there was a simular accident, also an open quarry and heavy rain.

Mining is a tough job, this happens all over the world, my first job out of school to make some money fast in a year was digging trenches in sand to lay electricity cable, year, that was smart, a few years later I went back and out of the old gang of 5, 3 had lost parts of their bodies in different accidents, things happen, you can't always remove accidents, just lower the risks as best you can.

• Like 1

Unfortunate accidents and disasters happen all over the world. This weekend several people have lost their lives in Salzburg and Prague due to land slips caused by excessive rainfall. Wrong place at the wrong time doing the work they were paid to do. RIP. No more Thai bashing please.

• Like 2

Please take a break from bashing Thais about stuff like this. Those of us old enough will remember the Aberfan disaster in 1966 when a build up of water caused the slide that killed 166 children and 28 adults. The images are still fresh in my mind. This happens all over not just Thailand. Please take a break and show some respect people..

You only need to look at the terrain and you can see (inappropriate comments removed) that it does not conform to good mining / quarrying practices let alone comply proven regulations in or of a developed country.

I remember Aberfan but that was almost 50 years ago and I am sure the Welsh have learned some lessons and implemented control measures to mitigate against a reoccurrence.

But Thais wouldn't know if Aberfan was on the moon so they cannot learn any lessons from the event.

And Aberfan was a disaster waiting to happen. Rain falls from the sky everywhere in the world and Wales is no exception.

But they (authorities here) don't want to learn the lessons, take the hard decisions and they remain solely motivated by money and kickbacks so why should we worry, let them get on with it.

Me I am only concerned with taking care of my own. A competent mining engineer, or a compliance inspector would not be welcomed "because they know it all"

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

Unfortunate accidents and disasters happen all over the world. This weekend several people have lost their lives in Salzburg and Prague due to land slips caused by excessive rainfall. Wrong place at the wrong time doing the work they were paid to do. RIP. No more Thai bashing please.

So your saying 'lets all bury our heads in the sand too' sick.gifsick.gif

• Like 1

What is the definition of an accident?????

Please take a break from bashing Thais about stuff like this. Those of us old enough will remember the Aberfan disaster in 1966 when a build up of water caused the slide that killed 166 children and 28 adults. The images are still fresh in my mind. This happens all over not just Thailand. Please take a break and show some respect people..

You only need to look at the terrain and you can see (inappropriate comments removed) that it does not conform to good mining / quarrying practices let alone comply proven regulations in or of a developed country.

I remember Aberfan but that was almost 50 years ago and I am sure the Welsh have learned some lessons and implemented control measures to mitigate against a reoccurrence.

But Thais wouldn't know if Aberfan was on the moon so they cannot learn any lessons from the event.

And Aberfan was a disaster waiting to happen. Rain falls from the sky everywhere in the world and Wales is no exception.

But they (authorities here) don't want to learn the lessons, take the hard decisions and they remain solely motivated by money and kickbacks so why should we worry, let them get on with it.

Me I am only concerned with taking care of my own. A competent mining engineer, or a compliance inspector would not be welcomed "because they know it all"

So your saying 'lets all bury our heads in the sand too' sick.gifsick.gif

Two of the most heartless quotes I have read in Thaivisa....and that takes some doing, but not something to be proud of!

I think most of us know, and agree, that things of this nature do happen around the world. But the point is, when they do, people in those places learn from them to try and make sure they don't happen again, while the Thai just chalk it up as an "accident", and go on doing what they've been doing, and never seem to learn any lessons from it. Which is why it seems to happen more frequently here.

• Like 2

I hope the injured workers make a full recovery, and I hope the company has a good insurance plan to cover the cost of the dead workers funerals and to compensate thier families.

I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by metisdead
Do not alter quoted posts with font changes.

Amen to that, poor Bast888ds, give them a break, why not start a fund for their families, the worst affected victims?? I hope there is some form of compensation for them. Is there some sort of process to sue the management if negligence is shown??

I also remember that terrible disaster,think about it often, yet lets be fair the NCB did learn from this event, as did all quarry operators and government departments in the UK. Do you think the Thai's will learn from this incident and try to implement some safety practise,don't think so, those who have died will be ordinary workers, expendable to those at the top,whose only concern is the making of more money.

• Like 1

I think rain and mountain and then workers where is the respect for the workers?

Only money counts why?

Is the owners for factory in thailand so respectless for thai workers? Yes they are...

You can't work at mountain if there had heacy rain because it will make erodering erodering is to destroy road special uder road riverbanks and mountain etc...

hope factory owners pay lot of money to the dead mans whife's

i still think mines and heavy rain. if you not make the mine structur good meening the erodering of the area arond the mine not is good then you will have a colaps of stone sand and much more special if there had bean heavy rain

Edited by beowolf2012

Looking at the picture posted of the collapse site.....there doesn't appear to be any benching of the work face from what I can see.....

Having seen quarries in various parts of the country and similar sites exist....both in quarrying and mining.....

Possibly poor mine management here may be a cause....an enquiry is needed.

Take a look at the picture. The size of the rocks that came down indicate that part of the solid rock broke away and came down the hill. This is not a mud slide of mine waste that was put above the quarry but eh actual hard rock of the mountain. I was miner for 10 years and this looks like something that may not have been preventable. While I worked in the mines in Canada more than 15 men died in various accidents in the mines that I worked in. Some by cave ins, some fell down shafts or raises and others were killed by machinery. Accidents happen everywhere and in Canada mining is the third most dangerous occupation right after fishing and logging. All the reasonable precautions in the world can't prevent a slip of rock if the cracks can't be seen. RIP to fellow mine workers. Hope their families will be taken care of.

Amen to that, poor Bast888ds, give them a break, why not start a fund for their families, the worst affected victims?? I hope there is some form of compensation for them. Is there some sort of process to sue the management if negligence is shown??

There is a process but what good will that do when the pay out of any compensation will be a few thousand miserable baht.

And on a fund OK, put your money up. And be prepared to do the same for the next 100 events before the end of this month.

Just don't expect any ethnics queuing up to give, that's all.

Edited by johnlandy
  • Like 1

Surprised there's not more of this here, the way they tend to pull mountainsides apart indiscriminately. Hope they get the others out ok.

It is sad that the very first response here jumps right in and exploits this tragedy as an opportunity to smear Thais. Tacking on sentiments for a rescue was a foothold for the low opening shot, which was the true motive for the post.

• Like 1

Does every country have to reinvent the wheel for themselves? So, an accident happens due to poor road design; poor enforcement of laws; lack of proper inspections causing a building to collapse; electrical, industrial, commercial, mining (in this case), and tons of other kinds of tragedies. But it seems that everyone has to learn the hard way for themselves....if they ever learn.

In this day and age we are not living in isolation. News spreads worldwide instantly. But the laws of science only seem to apply elsewhere, and the rest of the world goes on their merry way playing a potentially lethal game with other people's lives. Money is the only religion.

and the official enquiry found the NCB guilty of extreme negligence..... no, let's not 'show some respect' ....let's find out if the disaster was caused by a muppet in the works.

• Like 2

Surprised there's not more of this here, the way they tend to pull mountainsides apart indiscriminately. Hope they get the others out ok.

It is sad that the very first response here jumps right in and exploits this tragedy as an opportunity to smear Thais. Tacking on sentiments for a rescue was a foothold for the low opening shot, which was the true motive for the post.

Yes, agree with you.

How sad TV has become.

Philw