Mountain Collapses Over Limestone Crushing Plant In Phetchburi, Killing 6

webfact

Working in a quarry or mine is a risky business, no matter what country it is in.

No need to take every opportunity to bash Thais.

I hope they get out with a minimum of injuries or deaths.

America managed to kill 29 at the 'Big Branch Mine' in 2010, due to falsified safety reports. So not just a Thai problem.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Upper_Big_Branch_Mine_Disaster

According to your source, "America" didn't kill the 29. An independent study found Massey at fault.

Please take a break from bashing Thais about stuff like this. Those of us old enough will remember the Aberfan disaster in 1966 when a build up of water caused the slide that killed 166 children and 28 adults. The images are still fresh in my mind. This happens all over not just Thailand. Please take a break and show some respect people..

You only need to look at the terrain and you can see (inappropriate comments removed) that it does not conform to good mining / quarrying practices let alone comply proven regulations in or of a developed country.

I remember Aberfan but that was almost 50 years ago and I am sure the Welsh have learned some lessons and implemented control measures to mitigate against a reoccurrence.

But Thais wouldn't know if Aberfan was on the moon so they cannot learn any lessons from the event.

And Aberfan was a disaster waiting to happen. Rain falls from the sky everywhere in the world and Wales is no exception.

But they (authorities here) don't want to learn the lessons, take the hard decisions and they remain solely motivated by money and kickbacks so why should we worry, let them get on with it.

Me I am only concerned with taking care of my own. A competent mining engineer, or a compliance inspector would not be welcomed "because they know it all"

Back off the Thai-bashing. Mining companies in many countries are notorious predators.

I was raised in West Virginia. In the mountains the only jobs were in the coal mines. Few

families that didn't have at least one member killed or maimed in the mines.

For 150 years the coal companies have denuded the mountains, caused serious soil erosion,

destroyed the natural environment, ignored safety standards and exploited the miners.

In places like China and South America it is even worse.

Please take a break from bashing Thais about stuff like this. Those of us old enough will remember the Aberfan disaster in 1966 when a build up of water caused the slide that killed 166 children and 28 adults. The images are still fresh in my mind. This happens all over not just Thailand. Please take a break and show some respect people..

You only need to look at the terrain and you can see (inappropriate comments removed) that it does not conform to good mining / quarrying practices let alone comply proven regulations in or of a developed country.

I remember Aberfan but that was almost 50 years ago and I am sure the Welsh have learned some lessons and implemented control measures to mitigate against a reoccurrence.

But Thais wouldn't know if Aberfan was on the moon so they cannot learn any lessons from the event.

And Aberfan was a disaster waiting to happen. Rain falls from the sky everywhere in the world and Wales is no exception.

But they (authorities here) don't want to learn the lessons, take the hard decisions and they remain solely motivated by money and kickbacks so why should we worry, let them get on with it.

Me I am only concerned with taking care of my own. A competent mining engineer, or a compliance inspector would not be welcomed "because they know it all"

"I remember Aberfan but that was almost 50 years ago and I am sure the Welsh have learned some lessons and implemented control measures to mitigate against a reoccurrence."

There have been over 100 incidents in Wales' mining history that resulted in fatalities.

http://welshcoalmines.co.uk/DisastersList.htm

They occurred over a period of around 200 years.

Yeah, maybe we could conclude that the Welsh were a stupid people, not having implemented sufficient control measures over 200 years of repeated disasters. On the other hand, perhaps we could reflect on the our own social evolution, and the long struggle for safer working conditions in a world often run by big capital, which sees workers as expendable. And vow to help workers around the world to achieve a safer, fairer, saner, more human world.

It's all in how we see things, isn't it?

Edited by DeepInTheForest
  • Like 1

Phetchaburi mine 'may have been operating illegally'
The Nation

30207538-03_big.JPG

PHETCHABURI: -- Rescue workers continued to search for the bodies of victims in a fatal rockslide at a mine in Phetchaburi, south of Bangkok, which authorities say may have ignored an order to improve its work methods for months.

The rockslide instantly killed backhoe driver Suwichart Suwinya yesterday morning. Two Myanmar workers, known simply as Nai and Yoo, were missing after the accident and feared dead.

As of press time, four other miners were receiving treatment at Phra Chomklao Hospital for serious injuries.

The rockslide also damaged three pickups, four 10-wheelers, and three backhoes.

Phetchaburi Governor Montien Thongnit has declared the mine a disaster zone and neighbouring areas a risky zone.

The mine was ordered to suspend all operations until inspections confirm that it is safe to resume work at the site.

Khao Yoi district chief Wisa Poonsirirat was ordered to head a search to try to locate the bodies of the two missing victims.

"This is the urgent mission," Montien said.

Phet Samut mine owner Wichai Laowanichwisit said he was sorry for the tragic incident. He said his company would pay the medical bills of victims and offer compensation to the families of those killed.

Montien said he had also assigned Phetchaburi's disaster-prevention and mitigation office to see how to provide further assistance to the victims.

Meanwhile, the head of the Primary Industries and Mines Region 7 Office said the mine was instructed to improve its mining method several months ago.

"Its method is not the right one," Somsak Huankrasin said.

He suspected the mine may have ignored the problem until the fatal accident yesterday.

"We will look into whether negligence led workers to work in unsafe circumstances," Somsak said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-04

Phetchaburi mine 'may have been operating illegally'

The Nation

Posted Image

PHETCHABURI: -- Rescue workers continued to search for the bodies of victims in a fatal rockslide at a mine in Phetchaburi, south of Bangkok, which authorities say may have ignored an order to improve its work methods for months.

The rockslide instantly killed backhoe driver Suwichart Suwinya yesterday morning. Two Myanmar workers, known simply as Nai and Yoo, were missing after the accident and feared dead.

As of press time, four other miners were receiving treatment at Phra Chomklao Hospital for serious injuries.

The rockslide also damaged three pickups, four 10-wheelers, and three backhoes.

Phetchaburi Governor Montien Thongnit has declared the mine a disaster zone and neighbouring areas a risky zone.

The mine was ordered to suspend all operations until inspections confirm that it is safe to resume work at the site.

Khao Yoi district chief Wisa Poonsirirat was ordered to head a search to try to locate the bodies of the two missing victims.

"This is the urgent mission," Montien said.

Phet Samut mine owner Wichai Laowanichwisit said he was sorry for the tragic incident. He said his company would pay the medical bills of victims and offer compensation to the families of those killed.

Montien said he had also assigned Phetchaburi's disaster-prevention and mitigation office to see how to provide further assistance to the victims.

Meanwhile, the head of the Primary Industries and Mines Region 7 Office said the mine was instructed to improve its mining method several months ago.

"Its method is not the right one," Somsak Huankrasin said.

He suspected the mine may have ignored the problem until the fatal accident yesterday.

"We will look into whether negligence led workers to work in unsafe circumstances," Somsak said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-06-04

So the mine owner,after ignoring the rules laid down by the authorities, now says he's sorry and that he will pay for the medical bills. Presumable they are being treated in a state hospital,therefore those cost will be minimal, further more he will offer compensation to the families of those killed.

So what figure are we talking here, my guess would be approx 100,000 bht per family. So all in all he will probably finish up in total, paying less than the cost of a new pick-up.

Will he be convicted in a court of law and serve time, no chance.

UPDATE:
Rock grinding plants nationwide to be inspected after fatal landslide

PHETCHABURI, 4 June 2013 (NNT) – The safety protocol at all rock grinding plants in the country will be inspected during the current rainy season, after 3 workers were killed by a landslide at a quarry in Phetchaburi province.

Large boulders had fallen onto the compound of Phetsamut crushing plant in Nong Chumphonnua sub-district, Khao Yoi district, Phetchaburi province, smashing a total of 6 vehicles that included trucks and backhoes. 3 workers at the plant were killed by the crushing boulders, and another 4 were injured and sent to hospital, said a witness.

According to the witness, the huge rocks and earth came crashing down from a cliff roughly 20 stories high, onto the work site below.

Wichai Laowanitwisit, the owner of the plant, offered his condolences to the deceased and said he would care for the wounded and the families of the deceased as best as he possibly could.

Phetchaburi governor Monthien Thongnit immediately declared the site a hazardous area, and the nearby areas as disaster-hit zones. He also ordered work at the plant suspended for 30 days to facilitate investigation into the cause of the tragic incident. The crushing plant will also have to come up with a safety plan to prevent a recurrence.

Meanwhile, Industry Ministry Permanent-Secretary Withun Simachokdi has ordered officials to inspect 5-6 crushing plants and quarries in Saraburi, Chiang Rai, and Yala that are located on high grounds, to determine whether they are also at risk of such disaster. If safety is not assured, the plants will be told to cease rock explosions during the rainy season.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-04 footer_n.gif

Can't beat that argument. Perhaps China, India, USA, Peru and other countries who have suffered mining accidents recently should learn from Aberfan all those years ago, or is it just Thais who need to learn..

Surprised there's not more of this here, the way they tend to pull mountainsides apart indiscriminately. Hope they get the others out ok.

It is sad that the very first response here jumps right in and exploits this tragedy as an opportunity to smear Thais. Tacking on sentiments for a rescue was a foothold for the low opening shot, which was the true motive for the post.

Yes, agree with you.

How sad TV has become.

Philw

For goodness sake....stop bleating.... there's been hardly any 'Thai bashing' on this topic...... just realistic observations.

Absolutely correct!, the whingers wouldn't know a quarry from a mine or a 'backhoe from a face shovel or a bulldozer' and then still have the temerity to comment inanely as if they are all experts, whilst in actuality the majority wouldn't know 'shyt from shinola'

And as for the likelihood of a recurrence, remember, 'if you always do what you always did you are always gonna get what you always got"

• Like 1