Compare Chiang Mai With Phenom Penh..........

Thighlander

Good thread; heading there in due course.

Actually my Thai wife thinks the food sucks but she thinks If the food is not Thai it is no good. That is the only problem we have when we travel.

Ahh, the ole Thai number one lark. Thankfully, I don't have to put up with that rubbish with mine, she's open to most others' foods. Thai food's alright but a bit one-dimensional. My advice: dump her at the border and pick-up on the way back if you really have to. wink.png

• Like 1

Seems to me a lot of people have booze as the number one thing on their list. With that being the criteria I am sure they can do better than PP.

For the rest of it I don't know I would love to spend a week there and see the city itself. Not an imitation city like inside the moat in Chiang Mai.

They had some kind of park there on a big hill no time to see it just drive around it. Defiantly worth inspection.

Food and drink go together Dolly. J & I had some very tasty Khmer food in PP and SR. 'Titanic' on Sisowath Quay is notable as a tourist joint BUT with excellent food at reasonable prices .... sort of like our own River Market Restaurant here in CM.

I look fwd to my next Cambo visit, it's a comfortably affordable 3rd world experience. Nice to get away from our race toward Thaksin-driven-economic oblivion!

You may not be so happy to know that Cambodians are largely Pro Thaksin.

what the hell has this to do with it? Thailand is mostly pro-Thaksin too go look at the last election - this is ignorance or a troll

Cigarettes are cheaper, Guinness is cheaper,

what about the Duke's I might consider moving there to escape the in laws

I found the food to be rather expensive in PP.

Its ghetto there - no like, i was actually very happy and relieved once i crossed the border back into Thailand, felt like i was back home again

Even talking to the immigration guy at the Trat border was like music to my ears, so much nicer than Cambodian immigration.

Cambo Immigration were really friendly with me, we even sat in their office drinking beer (they had it in a cooler, packed with ice and very cold), so hospitable! clap2.gif

• Like 1

Actually my Thai wife thinks the food sucks but she thinks If the food is not Thai it is no good. That is the only problem we have when we travel.

Ahh, the ole Thai number one lark. Thankfully, I don't have to put up with that rubbish with mine, she's open to most others' foods. Thai food's alright but a bit one-dimensional. My advice: dump her at the border and pick-up on the way back if you really have to. wink.png

Better yet, you could leave her at home! Surely there must be some cleaning or yard work to finish up!!!! tongue.png You could send pics of you and your new friends enjoying in PP with out her!!

Better yet, you could leave her at home! Surely there must be some cleaning or yard work to finish up!!!! tongue.png You could send pics of you and your new friends enjoying in PP with out her!!

with all those Khmer girls around? not sure why anyone want's a wife out here but if you have one leave her behind like 99% do and enjoy!

Since some of you farangs prefer rough dark looking Asian female then Khmer girl is the choice but it's been a mystery some Thai guy never understand.

with all those Khmer girls around? not sure why anyone want's a wife

Edited by ARISTIDE

Seems to me a lot of people have booze as the number one thing on their list. With that being the criteria I am sure they can do better than PP.

For the rest of it I don't know I would love to spend a week there and see the city itself. Not an imitation city like inside the moat in Chiang Mai.

They had some kind of park there on a big hill no time to see it just drive around it. Defiantly worth inspection.

Food and drink go together Dolly. J & I had some very tasty Khmer food in PP and SR. 'Titanic' on Sisowath Quay is notable as a tourist joint BUT with excellent food at reasonable prices .... sort of like our own River Market Restaurant here in CM.

I look fwd to my next Cambo visit, it's a comfortably affordable 3rd world experience. Nice to get away from our race toward Thaksin-driven-economic oblivion!

Corruption in Cambodia far exceeds anything Thaksin ever achieved. How is this an improvement over Thailand's economy?

Corruption in Cambodia far exceeds anything Thaksin ever achieved. How is this an improvement over Thailand's economy?

nvm the mod is right - back on topic

Edited by binjalin

with all those Khmer girls around? not sure why anyone want's a wife out here but if you have one leave her behind like 99% do and enjoy!

I am in the lucky 1% that enjoys there wife.

• Like 1

nvm the mod is right - back on topic

Government competence and corruption is applicable to someone thinking of not only living but investing in Chiang Mai vs Phnom Penh. In Thailand there are ridiculous, onerous limits on investment and ownership of property for foreignors. In Cambodia it is much easier to start a business and, I think, to own property, but rule of law and respect for property rights is weak. In both countries I would advsie the same same rule of thumb as in planning a trip to Las Vegas--only bring in what you can afford to lose.

• Like 2

Sorry about that yes food and drink go together for some. My point was that there is a lot more to PP than food and drink.

I do hope the OP gives it a good look.

My wife doesn't like the people but loved Khmer food almost as much as she likes French, Italian and her Mum's smelly fish, pigs innards and bamboo concoctions. J doesn't like traveling outside Th. at all much unless the word "shopping" is involved .... and there's not much of that in Cambo for her.

PP street food >

PPchooks.JPG

Amok fish curry >

PI_SRamok.JPG

Fruit market >

PPmarket2.JPG

• 1 month later...

its ok for few days but i'd advise you to get down to Sihonoukville

anyway girls are nice, food is ok - beer is great

don't think about comparing - nice for a visit not a place to stay long periods

I heard Sihonoukville was really nice but strictly tourist.

Phenom Penh Is a great city to visit. Haven't been there in 4 years. But it was a growing city with lots of possibilities. Also very dirty.Never spent more than two days there then up to Siem Reap. Would like to go back for a week. Don't really think it would be the place I would choose to settle down in.

I have been living in Thailand since april 2009. I have been to Phnom Penh 4 times on holiday. I am seriously considering a move. Very cozy city, lots of friendly beautiful ladies, good restaurants/hotels, beautiful riverfront (built with the help of foreign aid). The best thing is that you don't get the feeling of being looked down upon as a farang as many of us do in LOS.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I went on my 1st and only trip to PP about a year ago. It was visa renewal time and instead of heading up to Mae Sai thought PP might be a good change. I knew a guy (Brit working in Oz) who went to PP for a holiday, unfortunately he got a tad pissed and fell down some stairs...or so he says, and he was still in PP when I vsited.

He had been there several times and as such showed me the ropes and all the nightspots. I have to admit I did like the place even tho I was only there for 4 days. I was introduced to the happy pizza, which incidentally blew me away....so much so that I had to go back to my room and sleep it off! Very good sleep as well. Its a bit of a catch 22 really, eating happy pizza and then you get the munchies...eat more pizza?

Overall I agree with what most posts have said. Medical could be a bit of a worry should you get seriously injured, I know of some that have worldwide health insurance so thay can fly back to Thailand for emergency ops etc. No doubt the premiums are enough to cover that eventuality.

I found the locals in PP to be very nice and polite, even the tuk tuk drivers are good. They like to strike up a conversation without being too intrusive and without pushing you to hire them. You dont get the insistant 'tuk tuk' phrase that seems to eminate from 85 percent of drivers in CM. Like I know its a bloody tuk tuk.... (Ok I wont get wound up by them stating the obvious).

The bars I went to were good and the women were not too pushy, but thats not to say they werent on the make. I suppose I'll just say it was fun and I did get to know one of them a bit more intimately. It was a great 4 days and the atmosphere towards foreigners was a lot better than here. Agree that public sanitation is in dire need of a shake up, however the locals struggle through each day with a smile and an openess to outsiders that is quite refreshing.

I never got down to Sihonoukville, although I heard it was nice albeit a bit too touristy for my liking. Maybe Ill go see next time so I can appraise it 1st hand. The trip to PP was a good eye opener but enjoyable too.

Meanwhile, I like CM. Its been good so far and Ive only been here a year.....Im still finding new places and seeing new opportunities.