"spokenthai" Software And Dictionary

SpokenThai

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Peter,

I will try to answer all your questions.

The next version of "SpokenThai" is due to next month.

The two major changes are:

1. Over 10,000 audio files in about 80 categories (most of the audio files are sentences).

2. We added as option the ability to use Text-To-Speech engine (if installed) to hear the English before the Thai (the Thai audio are human female voice).

The total download files of next version will be app. 300 MB.

We usually give a second free code for use on laptop, by request.

We do not give a third code for free due to any reason.

All the other stuff on the CD is free. The travel guide was written during many years of traveling so some of the information is old (up to 10 years) but I guess most places are still there. The guides are mostly about attractions. The photoalbums are compiled to exe from JPG files.

Please notice that the CD of current version will not be compatible with new version (the free stuff will be the same). You can wait for next version or register now without the CD and order the CD when next version will be released.

I can't promise nothing about the price of next version.

The official price is $60 ($70 with CD) but now we have a special price of $35 ($45 with CD).

Thank you

Granot

hiya spoken thai

you state that upgrades are free and available approx. twice yearly.

i wish to confirm that i will be able upgrade to the latest version at no extra cost (i.e. upgrading dictionary/lessons/and audio files)forever,on this computer

if this is the case you have a very sellable product

Hi dippyrick

Yes, I confirm that future upgrades are Free to registered users, and registering now will entitle you for free upgrade of next version. I can't promise nothing for a long term but basically it is our interest that users will have the best and latest version so they will have a better product to recommend their friends. Personally I am against charging money for upgrades.

I can confirm also that the special promotion price will be not valid from next version 1.7 up (due to be released on next month).

For users who want to purchase the CD, you can Register the program only ($ 35) and order the CD of next version (probably $15) or register with CD ($ 45) and note us to send you the CD on next month, when new version will be released. The upgrade of the program itself will be done by download (about 3 mb).

Thank you

Granot

Hi dippyrick

Yes, I confirm that future upgrades are Free to registered users, and registering now will entitle you for free upgrade of next version. I can't promise nothing for a long term but basically it is our interest that users will have the best and latest version so they will have a better product to recommend their friends. Personally I am against charging money for upgrades.

I can confirm also that the special promotion price will be not valid from next version 1.7 up (due to be released on next month).

For users who want to purchase the CD, you can Register the program only ($ 35) and order the CD of next version (probably $15) or register with CD ($ 45) and note us to send you the CD on next month, when new version will be released. The upgrade of the program itself will be done by download (about 3 mb).

Thank you

Granot

thanks for the prompt ,helpful information.

i already have a reasonable level of spoken thai (but couldn't pass up a 10,000 word dictionary and a package like this) and will definately be looking for upgrading ,with many additional sentences.

PURCHASED AT 13:00 TODAY / RECIEVED NUMBER TO ACTIVATE WITHIN THE HOUR

AND UTILISING PROGRAM ALREADY

GOOD SERVICE AND GOOD COMMUNICATION

(which is what it's all about !)

:o:D : THANKS :D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

We are proud to announce the release of "SpokenThai" version 1.7.

What's new

* Added 2,800 new audio files.

The new version has over 11,100 audios !

* Added Text-To-Speech option for English.

Now you can sit comfortably and let "SpokenThai" speak to you all sentences in sequence, in English (TTS) and in Thai (Human Thai girl voice).

* Added many new audio categories.

In total divided to 91 categories.

* Added lessons to the lessons ebook.

In total 47 lessons.

* New audio Index fast search.

For full details and features please visit this page:

SpokenThai - Features

Upgrade is free for registered users. Users should read the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE on our web page before upgrading for useful instructions.

All downloads (program and audio categories) are available from our web site.

Thank you

"SpokenThai" team

• 3 weeks later...
"Spoken Thai" software - version 1.6.01 - March 2006

"Spoken Thai" is a Thai language learning software package that includes three main components:

1). A word to word phonetic dictionary of over 9,000 words with a fast search engine.

2). High quality Audio files of 7,300 useful sentences arranged by 53 subject categories.

3). Basic Thai learning e-book with 42 chapters and over 1,000 sentences using the Text Colors system.

Special promotion price - $ 35.

More details:

With a total of over 17,000 useful words and phrases most frequently used by a foreigner in Thailand, this is the best and biggest learning tool of its kind. This tool is designed to help English speakers, who can not read the Thai script, in learning to speak the Thai language and communicate with Thai people. It was written and designed by a foreigner with his own foreign perspective.

There are 7,300 high quality audio files (not compressed MP3) divided into 53 subject categories, spoken by a native Thai woman, in the way she speaks in everyday life. When the user clicks once on any English word or sentence, it will be automatically translated into the Thai language and shown in English phonetic pronunciation using English characters. In the audio categories the audio file, associated with the sentence or word selected, will be played too. There is a re-play option and very useful "Auto-Play" feature.

The dictionary also includes an e-book of 42 lessons in Basic Thai grammar and dozens of important key words, with example sentences, which are essential for understanding the structure of the spoken Thai language. With over a thousand useful sentences and their translations (using the color method of word to word translation which makes learning easy and quick) this book will guide you in understanding the rules of building more complex sentences as well. It will also show you some special words which have no defined translation to English and how to use them, and how to use other important words.

List of Features:

• Easy phonetic pronunciation translation without any Thai script.

• Comfortable arrangement by 53 categories of the audio sentences.

• Over 17,000 words, terms, phrases and entries (items).

• Over 7,300 useful audio items, most of them full sentences.

• Over 9,000 entries in the main Phonetic Dictionary.

• "Basic Thai Lessons" e-Book containing 42 chapters.

• High quality WAV sounds (not compressed MP3).

• Auto Play/Stop for playing the sounds in sequence. Can be started from any item on the list.

• Four different intervals between lines/sounds for autoplay.

• Use Up/Down arrows to scroll items and play sounds in the audio category.

• Use Page Page up or Page down to scroll a window display in the audio list.

• Use Home/End to go to the first/last item in the audio list.

• Saving entries will add the English and Thai translation of current item to editable text file.

• "My Dictionary" – a tool with editorial functions that will keep and manage your favourites.

• Search Engine operates in all audio categories and also in the main dictionary.

• Entries Index. View a list of most audio files and to which category they belong.

• Volume Control slider.

• Repeat sound by "Enter" or click on the loudspeaker button.

• Very simple to use program.

• Easy to read Bold Ariel fonts (12) in the phonetic translation window.

• Change font option: 12 Bold Ariel fonts in the main dictionary.

• Compact interface, big display Window: 790 x 540 pixels.

• "AlwaysOnTop" option.

• Free on-line vocabulary updates.

Disk Space Requirements for installation

Program only (original download) - 1.9 MB

Audio files, 53 categories - 181 MB

Total disk space required - 183 MB

If run from a CD no disk space is required for the Audio files.

Registration price - $ 60 - Special promotion price - $ 35.

Registration is for one user only on one machine (PC) only !

Order the CD

The CD includes the dictionary program with all audio files.

The CD will only work on registered machines (PC) of version 1.6 and up.

CD Price: $ 10 including packaging and postage.

Free Bonus on CD includes:

Thailand Travel Guide

Thailand Photo Album

Thailand Screen Saver

Some other useful programs made by the author.

http://www.spokenthaidictionary.com

(alternative link)

[email protected]

Thank you

"SpokenThai" team

Unless I read it wrong your post says $35 for the download and $10 for CD.. Your website says $38 for the download and $12 for the CD... ?????? Regards, BD

Dear bluedragon

You did not read wrong but you quoted wrong.

Here is the right quote:

The quote is of version 1.6.

We announced already that the price will increase a bit before version 1.7 was released and invited members to register in old price with free upgrade (and some members did). Current version has 11,000 audios (not 7,300), and other new features and enhancements (like the ability to auto play and hear the English and the Thai).

Please notice that registration official price is $75 but we still sell in a special price, and will continue to give discount till we finish some main upgrades we plan. Then the price will be at least $75.

Our policy is to be reliable and clear in the information we give (as far as I know most programs don't even tell how many audios they include).

I hope I answered your question.

Granot

Dear bluedragon

You did not read wrong but you quoted wrong.

Here is the right quote:

The quote is of version 1.6.

We announced already that the price will increase a bit before version 1.7 was released and invited members to register in old price with free upgrade (and some members did). Current version has 11,000 audios (not 7,300), and other new features and enhancements (like the ability to auto play and hear the English and the Thai).

Please notice that registration official price is $75 but we still sell in a special price, and will continue to give discount till we finish some main upgrades we plan. Then the price will be at least $75.

Our policy is to be reliable and clear in the information we give (as far as I know most programs don't even tell how many audios they include).

I hope I answered your question.

Granot

Ok, next question. Here's the scenerio, I want to order on the computer I am currently on, and then go home and download the file to my home computer.. the way I understand the process is 1. I pay.

2. you send me a link and password to my email address, I down load and install the file. Then I wait for the CD. Is this correct. Regards, BD

Ok, next question. Here's the scenerio, I want to order on the computer I am currently on, and then go home and download the file to my home computer.. the way I understand the process is 1. I pay.

2. you send me a link and password to my email address, I down load and install the file. Then I wait for the CD. Is this correct. Regards, BD

Download / CD / Password = more info

Basically the CD is not needed to run the program and all files can be downloaded from the web page by anyone (registered or not registered) but each audio category file is restricted to the 5 first audios for not registered users.

The program is 2.8 MB and the audio categories files are between 1.5-5.5 MB. The total size of all 92 categories files is 285 MB. Each audio category file is independent. After registration you get a temporary code (within 24 hours) and 2-3 days latter you get your permanent code. Registration is for one computer only. A second free code is issued for Laptop, or in case you have to reinstall windows. Please notice that the third code is not free.

The CD contains all files of current version, including the setup file. The audio categories files might not be compatible with future versions if a major upgrade is done. The CD includes also a lot of free stuff. CD is sent by registered airmail and usually arrives in 7-10 days. The CD allows you to run the program without the need to install all files but it is recommended to install and run from the HD.

CD or Not CD

If you have a fast internet connection and enough free space on your HD, there is no need to order the CD, unless you want the free stuff which is on the CD. The free stuff includes: About 20 programs, photo albums with hundreds of pictures from Thailand and Thailand travel guide ebook.

Thank you

Granot

Greetings,

We are proud to announce the release of "SpokenThai" version 1.7.

What's new

* Added 2,800 new audio files.

The new version has over 11,100 audios !

* Added Text-To-Speech option for English.

Now you can sit comfortably and let "SpokenThai" speak to you all sentences in sequence, in English (TTS) and in Thai (Human Thai girl voice).

* Added many new audio categories.

In total divided to 91 categories.

* Added lessons to the lessons ebook.

In total 47 lessons.

* New audio Index fast search.

For full details and features please visit this page:

SpokenThai - Features

Upgrade is free for registered users. Users should read the IMPORTANT UPGRADE NOTICE on our web page before upgrading for useful instructions.

All downloads (program and audio categories) are available from our web site.

Thank you

"SpokenThai" team

where can i get it for 35 $ just clicked on link and its $50

• 3 weeks later...

Bilingual Dictionary - "EngThaiSearch"

We are proud to announce the release of Thai-English Bilingual Dictionary.

This dictionary includes Thai script, English script, and English Phonetic pronunciation.

Input in English script or in Thai script.

Results contains three colomns:

1) Thai script.

2) English script.

3) English Phonetic pronunciation.

Over 20,000 words, small size file (only 835 kb).

Check the trial version (limited) or register for a special price of only $20.

(The special price is for limited time only).

Download Page

Thank you

"SpokenThai"

• 2 weeks later...
"Support Team"

I purchased and downloaded spoken Thai about Oct 17. I sent in my registration and recieved the temporary code.

Unfortunately, my email crashed shortly after. I later learned it was sending but not receiving.

To make a long story short I never received my permanent number, I am sure my fault not yours.

I tried contacting you again but receive the following message:

Undeliverable email:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: FW: "Spoken Thai" version 1.7 - Registration

Sent: 10/26/2006 7:25 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'*****' on 10/26/2006 7:25 PM

553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

I assume because my email has been transferred to a different server/host that now works. My email is still the same address however.

What do you suggest so I can get my permanent code?

Received everything now with no problem. Thanks for quick response.

• 2 weeks later...

To all users of "SpokenThai" version 1.7

New version of "ThaiEng" dictionary has been released.

Download here

Please replace the old file in the program folder with the file in the zip.

Default path to put the file: C:\Program Files\SpokenThai_1.7

The file is 124 kb.

"ThaiEng" is a component of the full package. It is a reverse Phonetic dictionary, with two ways search: English and Phonetic. This dictionary is accessed only from the main program page.

Thank you

SpokenThai team

* Version 1.7 has been release with 11,000 audio files !!!

"Spoken Thai" software - version 1.6.01 - March 2006...etc

There are 7,300 high quality audio files (not compressed MP3) divided into 53 subject categories...

For your information: MP3 is 'lossless' - meaning you do not loose quality.

No. Audio compression comes in two forms: lossless compression, and lossy compression. MP3, is a digital audio encoding and lossy compression format. It is not 'lossless'. This means that it loses some of the audio information found in the original to make the compressed file much smaller. MP3s are created with lossy compression, the information they contain is not a perfect copy of the original. On the other hand, Lossless audio files are an exact copy of the original recorded source. WAV files are a lossless audio format and they do not compress the data digitally.

With lossless compression, every single bit of data that was originally in the file remains after the file is uncompressed. All of the information is completely restored while lossy compression reduces a file by permanently eliminating certain information. When the file is uncompressed, only a part of the original information is still there. So when you convert your bmp images to jpg, or your wav files to mp3, remember to keep a backup of your original files since the data lost on compression can never be restored.

To sum up:

There is a "Lossless data compression" that allows the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data (like zip file) and there is "Lossy data compression" which is a compression method where compressing data and then decompressing it retrieves data that may well be different from the original (like jpg and mp3).

Quoted from wikipedia encyclopedia:

"Most lossy data compression formats suffer from generation loss: repeatedly compressing and decompressing the file will cause it to progressively lose quality... ... lossy data compression, which does not allow the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data... ...Professional users or audio experts may use the uncompressed WAV format for maximum audio quality"

An important fact that many people don't know is that you need a license to distribute mp3 in a commercial product from Thomson. Many Thai learning CDs use MP3 without having a license.

"SpokenThai" does not use MP3 but WAV files.

I hope the above information will be useful for people who use to compress their WAV or BMP files.

Granot

No. Audio compression comes in two forms: lossless compression, and lossy compression. MP3, is a digital audio encoding and lossy compression format. It is not 'lossless'. This means that it loses some of the audio information found in the original to make the compressed file much smaller. MP3s are created with lossy compression, the information they contain is not a perfect copy of the original. On the other hand, Lossless audio files are an exact copy of the original recorded source. WAV files are a lossless audio format and they do not compress the data digitally.

With lossless compression, every single bit of data that was originally in the file remains after the file is uncompressed. All of the information is completely restored while lossy compression reduces a file by permanently eliminating certain information. When the file is uncompressed, only a part of the original information is still there. So when you convert your bmp images to jpg, or your wav files to mp3, remember to keep a backup of your original files since the data lost on compression can never be restored.

To sum up:

There is a "Lossless data compression" that allows the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data (like zip file) and there is "Lossy data compression" which is a compression method where compressing data and then decompressing it retrieves data that may well be different from the original (like jpg and mp3).

Quoted from wikipedia encyclopedia:

"Most lossy data compression formats suffer from generation loss: repeatedly compressing and decompressing the file will cause it to progressively lose quality... ... lossy data compression, which does not allow the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data... ...Professional users or audio experts may use the uncompressed WAV format for maximum audio quality"

An important fact that many people don't know is that you need a license to distribute mp3 in a commercial product from Thomson. Many Thai learning CDs use MP3 without having a license.

"SpokenThai" does not use MP3 but WAV files.

I hope the above information will be useful for people who use to compress their WAV or BMP files.

Granot

yes you are right, mp3 is a lossy format (my fault) but there are many lossless formats out there and on the other hand: I dont think anyone would 'hear ' the difference between mp3 and wav else the music industry would 'not' use it :o

Edited by tectronic

yes you are right, mp3 is a lossy format (my fault) but there are many lossless formats out there and on the other hand: I dont think anyone would 'hear ' the difference between mp3 and wav else the music industry would 'not' use it

Well, I am not MP3 expert but I think each time you hear the file (which means you are decompressing it) it loses some of its quality, so after some time you can feel the difference. Also with MP3 files you can never know which settings were used to compress the file.

Anyway, why not give our users the best ? :o

Granot

• 2 years later...

Hi spoken Thai Team,

I did buy EngThaiSearch about 2 years ago. One month ago my notebook had to be re-installed.

On my external hirddrive I kept a copy of the program, but when I did reinstall I got a message that my version is not registered. Please consider to do so...

I have been looking to contact Granot, but via the website it's impossible to find any contact details.

Can you help me in this mather? I suppose there should be a list of registered users.

If you could send me any contact details, we can clear this one out.

B.R./ 3zie