Your Opinon On A Short Holiday

I have a few friends who have landed in Singapore 2 days ago. and are enjoining there holiday and there but tomorrow they want to rent a car and drive to KL. but i have managed to talk to them in to coming to Thailand for a few days instead of the drive. my idea was go to Koh larn then to Aran poipet border for shopping and back to Bangkok for some night life... Or is there original plan better? i have no idea on this drive and it might be the good experience for them. whats your thought..

I have not done that route, but did go up the east coast of Malaysia a few years ago. It was OK. I think the route to KL would be nice if they stopped off in Malacca. I've heard it's a very nice town.

As for your Thailand plan, hmmm....the roads to Poipet are horrible. A bit to see, but not much. And Poipet is pretty run down. Koh Larn is OK, but normally overrun with groups of tourists. Chinese, Indian and Russian. Speed boats everywhere. So so, IMHO. I'd almost opt for JJ market in Bangkok over Poipet.

How long would they have here? You can do a very nice day in Bangkok seeing the big temples and doing a canal cruise. Maybe take them to Kanchanaburi? If you want a nice beach, I'd try Samet. Spend the night there. Some of the beaches are very nice. A day trip to Ayutthaya might also be nice? Just some thoughts.

The drive to KL is just a boring hiway with most of the bordering jungle turned into endless acres of palm oil. KL itself is a bustling city, enough to see and do to keep you busy for a few days. Some good night life and great food, check out the bar strip at Changit Bukit Bin Tang. If your keen on some female company I would opt for Bangkok.

Are they going to be first time visitors to both Bangkok and KL? If they are then Bangkok is a much more interesting destination, in terms of culture, food, and sights, and of course not forgetting night entertainment. If they decide to go to KL, forget about driving unless they want to stop by Malacca. KL is a nightmare for tourist driving. They'll be just going round and round getting lost. Better to take a VIP bus from Singapore and travel in KL by taxi and mass transit.

Melacca is OK, but unless you are absolutely besotted with the whole 'Chinese shophouse/Baba-Nonya' thing, chances are that you will be over it by lunchtime. I did like the fact that the Chinese shopowner who sold me a trinket seemed happy to shoot the breeze re Melacca - definitely not the 'buy something and gtfo' attitude I've encountered in some of the other tourist traps in the region. I bought a trinket from her, but most of her goodies were too big to take back to KL on the bus, much less hump back to Oz on a plane. Anyone who is into that sort of thing could probably spend hours in those shops, but you'd still need to find a way to get it home.