I Want To Import A Toyota Harrier--Can I Get It Serviced In Bangkok?

Hello all--

I am interested in importing a 2005 Toyota Harrier from a Japanese exporter. It looks to be in good condition, but I was warned by a friend it might be difficult to get it serviced here. I have diplomatic privileges so it could be imported duty free but I wouldn't want to do this if I couldn't get it fixed!

Thanks in advance--

I would suggest if you can import a vehicle duty free and be sure you will have no problems with customs, aim for something up market that you could capitalise on when your term is finished.

Benz or Beamer being the most sought after vehicles on the market.

You are in a enviable position.

I would suggest if you can import a vehicle duty free and be sure you will have no problems with customs, aim for something up market that you could capitalise on when your term is finished.

Might the import tax have to be paid when he sells it on?.....

But certainly, if Tax free get something better than a Rav4 !!!

I doubt you'll have problems with things like filters etc, Toyota aren't daft, it's bound to share components with other models, same with major components (engine spares etc.).

It will have zero resale value mind, get the Benz or Beamer, even old ones sell at good prices.

Might the import tax have to be paid when he sells it on?.....

But certainly, if Tax free get something better than a Rav4 !!!

If it is sold to a non-diplomat, then all the import taxes become due (going from memory... ).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If taxes etc need to be paid later when the vehicle is sold forget the idea.

There are hundreds of the same request for imort info that allways end at a brick wall.

Do not do it. If you doubt this, search the subject on other threads.

Depends, if we're talking US diplomat, after either 3 or 5 years (not certain but think it's 3) in country it's duty free regardless of purchaser.

I've seen Harriers there so someone is servicing them and most likely Toyota being as large as they are there it won't be much of a problem.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If taxes etc need to be paid later when the vehicle is sold forget the idea.

There are hundreds of the same request for imort info that allways end at a brick wall.

Do not do it. If you doubt this, search the subject on other threads.

He said he's got diplomatic privileges, definitely do it! I'd go as big as I could afford if my posting were long enough to take advantage and be able to resell in country.

JFYI I should have included that if the vehicle is sold before it's maturity due to a re-posting it can only be sold duty/tax free to another diplomat or embassy official or duty and taxes are required as mentioned, but what I overlooked is, if it is sold before it's maturity the clock restarts all over again from what I've been told just as if it were newly imported.

There are lots of Japanese Harrier's on the road in TH.

2.4, 3.0, 2WD & 4WD versions. Servicing is no problem

Yep agreed, especially this vintage - they were a very popular gray import.

These vehicles are typically resold within the diplomatic community so tax is not an issue and they are easy to resell. There are always new people with diplomatic privileges coming to town needing a vehicle, but that was not really the question from the OP.

There are many Harrier's in town sold into the grey market and obviously all serviced somewhere. Most appear to be the 2.4 litre with what I believe to be the same engine as the Camry.