Demonstrations And Rallies Leading Up To The Election

Jai Dee

Sorry maybe I didnt get your point or the news?

Please clarify your point.

I was just saying that the vast majority of Thai Visa members are not allowed to vote in the election. So urging them to vote no is a bit fruitless.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it compulsory to vote in Thai law?

Also, is it possible here to discuss what the Monarchy (I am not talking of His Majesty) might influence in this situation? For example a certain offspring has investments in military-style power here.

Tell me if this is totally off the mark....

A Democracy driven by illiterate farmers and motorcycle drivers supporting a crook who does insider deals ! Baa ! :o

Majority rules... :D

I guess Brit missed the Marcos Suharto etc article earlier .....

(or myriad other examples of 'majority rule' .... just a quick one-liner with a smiley to increase post counts is much better than a real thought though :-)

:D

Also, is it possible here to discuss what the Monarchy (I am not talking of His Majesty) might influence in this situation? For example a certain offspring has investments in military-style power here.

Voting IS compulsory ... however there are very minor penalties for not voting ....(cannot run for office ... cannot petition for recall etc.

It would not be appropriate to comment on the RF except in the most general terms and only about what i in the news.

Lukamar

I got you now. Anyway of course this was not a forum suggestion, just my opinion.

(Besides, I guess most of you guys (or ladies) have mostly some Thais around you, where

opinions, suggestions etc. are being shared too)

I wonder how many people "this time" are being caught by receiving or distributing a view bucks to vote for the right person. Or you guys think this time, they will save the money, as they will get elected anyway?

Yes, Lukamar I'm afraid you’re right; they will be reelected anyway, even with not a full house, Thaksin and his crew are already preparing their lawyers to fix any missing seats etc., by twisting constitution or election laws, so they could open again. Interesting he's claiming he knows these laws very well. But on the other hand if some charges are against him or them (like the EGAT ruling), he's claiming that he doesn't get the law, and will have to study it later. :o

See how quick the wind changes everyday in this "TRT = Thaksin Rules Thailand" camp? Same as his moods, opinions and talks about his critics, he's willingness to speak up against the allegations etc. etc. Moody winds, blow in only one direction: Save his face and restore power to someone trustful, so he can go and buzz off to enjoy his billions. Does he really want to bring Thailand to further heights? (did he ever tell us, that his predecessor Chuan Lekpai, did a big step

b4 him, to let these growth happen at all, and besides the whole region was booming due to strong exports also triggered by China?) No everything Thailand has gained for, he claims his own. And the people upcountry, still believe in money-cows flying around for free! (yes he did some good things too, sure!). But overall, was it for Thailand? Do you believe him? Will the farmers learn

self-rulling? I guess this centralized nearly communist stlye leaderhsip can't control this country anymore.

See newest "Twisting" against Sondhi for a matter which is or was not at all on his agenda (to give any bad intentions or bad words to the beloved His Majesty the King) to try to lock him up now, so the original claims, will be once again bunkered in the sand. We had this story also before, when he was new elected as PM b4, but will he get away with it today?

Just today or yesterday, he claimed again to BBC, that he was not involved at all with his

family business and he want's to save Democracy :D ...read above what some newspapers say to this.

Back to reopening the house after the election:

This will be the interesting point, will they have the guts to go that far, and open the house and reelect a new PM, even if not legal (I mean many things nowadays are suddenly legal or illegal, depends on which lawyer or politician has the better connections)

Money rules these crises, the losers are (or will be) clear the weaker ones, but I think this time, the "understanding" Thai people (which I really admire for their peaceful endurance and strength), will not give up until this corruption will be cleaned off the streets, and people using politics for shady own interests will not have the grips anymore. Or hopefully just less than before (I mean less corrupt people, some they just change hats, and continue under new groups).

I think the people will not give up, even peacefully it could be achieved, even after the same old

cronies are taking over this airplane again once his gone. The main problem (I mean this could go on 4-ever if he clings to power) however should leave this important job please soon.

His short-minded politics, will not help Thailand at all, even if he has now good intentions, as the

big biz deal is on the bank now. I never thought he did a good job. So so, with some luck of the

Democrats doing the hard work before him, and an export driven region, where all countries around Thailand where profiting from big growths. I think yes maybe some other good TRT politicians who are clear less corrupt or not, could take over with a stronger oppostions, until the

next-next-next etc. etc. elections, hopefully will give back one day power to the Democrats.

Why the Thai people anyhow mostly like to have some big-mouth, show-off as a leader??

Soap mentality? Politics shouldn't be about big mouths, selfish claims (I'm a big guy, and I can think with two sides of my brains, I remember reading after the Shin Corp sales) and talk before you think. See Abhisit, he's modest and clever in his opinions and tactics and sure sitting in a boat were politics is about politics and the country, and not politcs for their own wealth*. I'm sure he would do a much better honest job!

*I'm not claiming all TRT members are like TS, but the ones who are not, they have at the moment anyway nothing to say, as only one man pulls the main strings, right? Is that a party group, or a one-man show? I mean even the idea of this snap-election was as far as I know, one of his short-minded quick action ideas.

I hope they will not give up! We need another PM and maybe even much better another party taking over.

Anyway does somebody know when the "Snap-Erection" will be normally counted out, and

be published? How long does this take?

so Thailand can finally start something else than this stupid election, which was just clear some time buying to shift some allegations under the sand.... but I guess wrong calculated ... the people of Thailand are not "all" (Quality please b4 Quantity, Sense b4 Non-Sense, Ethics b4 Corruption etc. etc. you election-pro only and count head - freaks) going to accept this, hopefully.

Good luck Thailand

....what was the name of that song again...?? they play everywhere ....?? shubi dubi...

Edited by sushiman

Voting IS compulsory ... however there are very minor penalties for not voting ....(cannot run for office ... cannot petition for recall etc.

It would not be appropriate to comment on the RF except in the most general terms and only about what i in the news.

Have to agree with JD on this one. I might add that some people living outside Thailand have a hard time casting their ballots as there may only be one or 2 polling stations in a given country some thousands of miles apart. The EC has addressed this and in a few select countries the US is one , Canada is not, they have allowed mail in ballots. This will probably be the norm in elections after the Senatorial election if no significant problems are found with the system.

From the forum rules, "No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.".

My wife said they normally have the election results the next day, but this is really not a regular election. I remember reading in the constitution that the EC had to have the results in 30 days, but my memory may not be correct on that.

A Democracy driven by illiterate farmers and motorcycle drivers supporting a crook who does insider deals ! Baa ! :o

Majority rules... :D

I guess Brit missed the Marcos Suharto etc article earlier .....

(or myriad other examples of 'majority rule' .... just a quick one-liner with a smiley to increase post counts is much better than a real thought though :-)

Still a valid point mate - like it or not a small % of so called elite aren't going to get their way. The power is not in BKK and this is what kills them. :D I find it rather amusing - perhaps next time they will think about the majority and not their own self interests. However I think you know that, but its hard to accept. :D

your suppositions have yet to be proven Brit .... but glad you think that!

Look through the History here ... BKK has gotten rid of elected PM's before ... and will in the future ....

your suppositions have yet to be proven Brit .... but glad you think that!

Look through the History here ... BKK has gotten rid of elected PM's before ... and will in the future ....

Apples/Oranges! :D The majority will have their say..... true democracy in action!!!! :o

Never though has any Thai PM, elected or not, enjoyed such a massive support upcountry. This makes the present situation very different from all the other the events in Thailand's history.

Lukamar

I got you now. Anyway of course this was not a forum suggestion, just my opinion.

(Besides, I guess most of you guys (or ladies) have mostly some Thais around you, where

opinions, suggestions etc. are being shared too)

I wonder how many people "this time" are being caught by receiving or distributing a view bucks to vote for the right person. Or you guys think this time, they will save the money, as they will get elected anyway?

Thank you sushiman... very nice post

:o

Just a few notes on the No Vote. This elections ballots the selection for No Vote is in the bottom right hand corner.

Also, there has been great concern over the use of the new rubber stamps for anyone voting. The EC implemented this, but the Courts have just recently over-ruled their exclusivity and have insisted that both normal ink pens and rubber stamps are acceptable for people to cast their vote and further that both be provided to voters at the polling booth.

One of the concerns with the rubber stamps is that the ink in the ink pads used with them utilize a weak-type ink that is much easier removed than the ink in a normal pen... This can result in someone's vote being erased after it's been marked and allow someone to mark it again as they see fit as depicted here:

post-9005-1143850574_thumb.jpg

note: the sample ballot depicted in this picture used the previous version which had the No Vote box in the upper left hand corner.

So, to be on the safe side... for those wishing to use the No Vote, use an ink pen... and it probably wouldn't hurt to just bring your own pen to be sure one is available... :D

Good luck, Thailand....

Edited by sriracha john

Never though has any Thai PM, elected or not, enjoyed such a massive support upcountry. This makes the present situation very different from all the other the events in Thailand's history.

[/quote

As a last observation from my Moo Ban up country

All the less educated and poor are being instructed/told to vote TRT by the local Poo yai as in their reckoning they have increased everyones wealth by providing loans for the usual commodities, mobiles, motorbikes, cars and house extensions/rebuilding. ( not counting the ones who have P***** it up the wall )

What they do not seem to grasp is the fact that the majority of these assets are now owned by the banks/loan sharks in the form of securities ect. on the said loans.

Now most are in default of their generous hand outs and do not have a hope in hel_l to repay, let alone pay other bills.

Interest rates are on the up so it just gets worse and eventually the Poo yai will own all their new found wealth once again including their land.

They cannot see or take in that in real terms instead of doubling / trebling there wealth ect., they are in fact doubling / trebling their debt.

Along with that the usual gifts /bribes are being offered plus village chiefs/reps. brainwashing them, what else can be expected. ( These leaders are of course getting huge cash insentives to do this via mega bahts )

May they all wake up in time and smell the true situation, but i think not unfortunately so the sad senario will continue.

Please someone out there or above give them the sense to see the reality before it,s to late.

In my humble opinion

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

500 motorcycle taxis are asking police to take legal action against Sonthi Limthongkul and Khomchadleuk newspaper under Leste Majeste

A group of motorcycle taxis has filed a petition letter to the police asking them to take legal action against Sondhi Limthongkul and Khomchadleuk (คมชัดลึก) newspaper under Leste Majeste.

Around 500 motorcycle taxis made their way to gather and submit a letter to Royal Thai Police Commissioner-General Kowit Watthana (โกวิท วัฒนะ), asking him to take legal action against the two subjects. The letter was received by Royal Thai Police Secretary, Pol. Maj. Gen. Prawut Thawornsiri (ประวุฒิ ถาวรศิริ).

Narongsri Manee (ณรงค์ศรี มณี), the leader of the motorcycle taxis group, said that 21 members of the group will shave their heads in protest of Sondhi Limthongkul's action, and the group will place wreaths to offer condolences for Mr. Sondhi and his Manager newspaper, at the latter's headquarters.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 April 2006

A group of teenagers had burnt down several election billboards of TRT party in Trang province

A group of young adults discontent with the Thai Rak Thai party had roamed the province of Trang burning election billboards under the party.

A group of of teenagers at nightfall burnt down several election billboards under the Thai Rak Thai party in constituency 1 of Trang Province. It is expected that the group conducted the act in retaliation of the people that disrupted the Democrat Party's address in Chiang Mai last night.

In the meantime, around 3,000 people from the People's Alliance for Democracy network in the south and the Chuan Leekpai fanclub in Trang province are still staging speeches attacking Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra and the Thai Rak Thai party, in front of Mr. Chuan Leekpai's house, amidst security provision by police.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 April 2006

Protest spreads to 'Manager'

Motorcyclists cause stir at Sondhi's paper

Hundreds of motorcycle taxis briefly created havoc at the office of the Manager Group last night in what is seen as an attempt to keep up pressure on media critical of the caretaker government. The incident happened a day after the pro-Thaksin Caravan of the Poor laid siege to the office of the Nation Group in protest against the group's daily Kom Chad Luek. Members of the press and media activists slammed the use of mob rule and demanded police and the government do their duty to maintain law and order. About 400 taxi motorcyclists in their uniform orange waistcoats gathered behind Chatuchak public park yesterday afternoon. They then rode to the national police office in Pathumwan about 3.30pm. Led by Narongsak Manee, a political canvasser for Thai Rak Thai's Sita Divari, they filed lese majeste complaints against Kom Chad Luek and media activist Sondhi Limthongkul, a vocal critic of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. A deluge of similar complaints has been filed with police by people from other provinces.

The taxi motorcyclists at police headquarters launched verbal attacks against Mr Sondhi and the newspaper and 21 of them had their heads shaved in protest.

The procession of motorcycle taxis left the police office at 4pm and headed for the Manager Group office owned by Mr Sondhi on Phra Athit road.

At the same time, Mr Sondhi left Bangkok for Guilin, China, reportedly for a brief, unannounced break. He will return at 9pm tonight and will stage a public address in Hat Yai on Wednesday.

His departure, however, caused a stir among supporters who thought he should stay put at this politically tense juncture.

The procession of motorcyclists reached Ban Phra Athit, the office of the Manager Group, about 5pm.

A representative laid a wreath and began to shout ''Sondhi, get out.'' In response, people inside the Manager compound turned on the controversial song Ai Na Liam, or ''Square-faced Man'', which pokes fun at Mr Thaksin, at high volume.

The motorcyclists then stepped up the roar of their engines. Some managed to break through a line of policemen and security guards into the compound but no violence ensued.

Motorcyclists and Manager staff threw objects at each other.

Some local residents started shouting ''Thaksin, get out'' to the motorcyclists. They stayed there for about 10 minutes before speeding away.

At the Thai Journalists Association (TJA), members of the press and media activists met to denounce the ongoing campaign of intimidation against the media.

The Press Council of Thailand said the pro-Thaksin Caravan of the Poor demonstrators were resorting to mob rule to force the temporary closure of the Kom Chad Luek newspaper over an alleged lese majeste remark.

The council said an agreement to suspend the newspaper's publication temporarily between the Nation Group, which owns Kom Chad Luek , and the Caravan of the Poor, was reached under duress.

It was null and void because, under the constitution, even the state had no right to close a newspaper.

''omplying to close down a newspaper, whether by its own free will or for other reasons to avoid clashes or to avoid intimidation must not be condoned,'' said the council yesterday.

It also demanded the government take legal action against the ''mastermind and supporters'' who encouraged the grassroots protesters to lay siege to the Nation Group's building and submit their demand for the temporary closure of the daily.

Banyat Tasaneeyavej, chairwoman of the press council, said the incident was press intimidation at its worst.

''In the past, the media knew who was the enemy. But this is worse than it was under military dictatorship. The enemies of the media take all forms,'' she said.

TJA president Pattara Khumphitak said more attempts to pressure the media to accept the election outcome are likely after the election. He urged the media to join forces to resist intimidation.

Somchai Sawaengkarn, president of the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, said the protest at the Nation Group had been organised and would spread to other media organisations.

Ubonrat Siriyuwasak, chairwoman of the Campaign for Popular Media Reform, urged the public to protect the media because they could not depend only on the police.

Source: Bangkok Post - Saturday April 01, 2006

Protest spreads to 'Manager'

Motorcyclists cause stir at Sondhi's paper

Hundreds of motorcycle taxis briefly created havoc at the office of the Manager Group last night in what is seen as an attempt to keep up pressure on media critical of the caretaker government.

And we all remember who was the patron of the motorcycle taxi guys who created havoc during Black May 1992, don't we?

They cannot see or take in that in real terms instead of doubling / trebling there wealth etc., they are in fact doubling / trebling their debt.

Please someone out there or above give them the sense to see the reality before it,s to late.

In my humble opinion

marshbags :D:D:D

Hi Marshbags,

Great, thanks for your update from upcountry. These shows clearly how dangerous short-mindend Thaksins TRT's politics are, and even worse how short-minded the people think upcountry! No blaim as lack of education (are the TRT's doing anything there?) is guess here the evil's cause, of the greedyness and unwillingness to see the trap their into now. Or maybe I guess they just all hope for some dept-release as aleady been tried last week with 5'000 farmes demonstrating in front of Khrun Thai Bank. If TRT is continuing like this, we will see more coming to Bangkok, begging for dept-release in the future. :D

How can Thaksin claim, that this is in the benefit for the country? What's the point of very good economy, when everything’s gets more expensive and only a view friends & cronies of the TRT's get the big cash flow in their own pockets?? Do we want that to continue again there?

Why do the upcountry people tolerate this, and can't see behind the curtains?

One important thing has to change!! Media control by Thaksin and government. This I guess is the major problem here, as most upcountry people don't get the more fair open and therefore critical press, as they don't like to read, or can't? :D

That's exactly what disturbs me so much, and even here some hopefully still "pro democracy election guys in the forum who praise this Sundays election as an act of democracy"?, why don't you use your intelligence and look beyond the golden curtains why the people upcountry are voting for him, and why mostly there? Why the understanding middle-class and even more people here are in this forum are against him. Check out the education balance, and you will clearly see why.

You truly believe there are no hopes and not other good politicians here in this country!? Wrong, Thailand has an amazing big quantity of well educated people, and just recently most of those voices have been finally heard, as they join together now and for the first time many ordinary Thai People, are more interested in politics too (a good turning point, thanks to corrupt Thaksin, the only point where Thailand can thank him).

But still Quantity doesn't mean Quality. So if somebody is misusing this Quantity (with tricks) I don't think this is democratic at all! :D

The legal government is misusing its power at its very best. Why don't the Pro-Thaksin side get this for once?

You want to live in a country where the poor get poorer and the richer get richer, and the understanding better-informed middle-class have nothing to say, because the short-minded upcountry people get their hands on quick cash and are the majority voters?

It's like giving your uneducated teenager his first credit-card, and he'll sure buzz off for some over-shopping (Thaksin calls this stimulating the economy). How many would misuse it? I guess the most uneducated people would. That's exactly what AIS and all these companies need and want. Who gets the big cash? You know hopefully now at the end of the day, how will!

This election is not democratic at all! It is clearly only a whitewash to pro-long and hide Mr Thakins wrong doing! Why you think he never agreed to talk with anyone about the allegations. He did once live on TV in a famous talk-show. Over 20 lies have been counted and he seemed to be very nervous. He just can't talk and do politics also with other people in a dialogue; his monologue style of doing politics is the only one that counts.

A big dangerous monologue in a hijacked :D airplane (Thailand) that still is shacking (This was a remark by a Democrat, who hit the nail on the right spot!)

Very dangerous. Thaksin supporters wake up and think for the future of Thailand. It's time for a change or else we will start to sink very soon, and the whole country will be split into two (South and North) and in Bangkok the battlefields on both sides, will go on for ever, if he clings to power, as he's seams wanting to. The depts will rise, the costs will rise and the countries so called economic wealth will be distributed once again by a view families and cronies.

Wake up guys, get real and kick these corrupt people out (or help us to do so). We all can do our part, by talking and education the people who don't get it yet! Or be active in our little part. One by One. For Instance go and support the PAD rally once, I was twice there, and the people are great, friendly and many of them are just normal Thai People (Students, Banker ladies etc. etc.) who see also beyond the golden curtains, TRT is still trying to hang up over their bank accounts. Read the papers, go to the Universities and talk to the people there, listen to journalist who is the only ones in this country who are actually doing the "Watchdog role". Most other constitutions are all corrupted and are paid off by TRT or Thaksin.

Peacful and United against Corruption! Try it, it could be done.

Recent EGAT ruling. A glimpse of hope, that even in the higher ranks and courts, the people is shifting their opinions too, and start to think long-term for the good of Thailand.

Marschbags, keep us up to date, this weekend, and keep an eyes on changing money hands!

Nice day folks

Sushiman

PS/ Sorry my English, it's not my native tongue

Edited by sushiman

All the less educated and poor are being instructed/told to vote TRT by the local Poo yai as in their reckoning they have increased everyones wealth by providing loans for the usual commodities, mobiles, motorbikes, cars and house extensions/rebuilding. ( not counting the ones who have P***** it up the wall )

What they do not seem to grasp is the fact that the majority of these assets are now owned by the banks/loan sharks in the form of securities ect. on the said loans.

Now most are in default of their generous hand outs and do not have a hope in hel_l to repay, let alone pay other bills.

Interest rates are on the up so it just gets worse and eventually the Poo yai will own all their new found wealth once again including their land.

Self inflicted poverty and hardship. Silly to blame the banks and money lenders (most of whom don't even need to advertise) for the irresponsible spending habits and lack of savings on the part of their customers.

Education? When are people taught that they can't spend more than they make? It's common sense.

Edited by Heng

As a last observation from my Moo Ban up country

They cannot see or take in that in real terms instead of doubling / trebling there wealth ect., they are in fact doubling / trebling their debt.

Along with that the usual gifts /bribes are being offered plus village chiefs/reps. brainwashing them, what else can be expected. ( These leaders are of course getting huge cash insentives to do this via mega bahts )

May they all wake up in time and smell the true situation, but i think not unfortunately so the sad senario will continue.

In my humble opinion

marshbags :o:D:D

Yes, that is the right question: when does someone go out and educate those people about the realities?

Protesting in Bangkok, the urban centers and the South is of not much use as long as no political party of the opposition is represented in the villages of the North and Isaarn. TRT has been given almost free hand since '98 to establish themselves in the impoverished rural North and Isaarn. Misguided and used by Thaksin they may be, but he was the first politician in Thai history who has given them a voice and the illusion that thing will change for the better for them.

As long as nobody goes to village Thailand with a package of better policies, these people will support Thaksin, like it or not. They will view the PAD as a city based organisation that does not care about them, as they view the Democrats as a regional based party that has never done anything for them.

They view the situation as a bunch of rich elites who try to instigate a coup in order to take away they little they have. Someone has to convince them of the opposite, but i don't see anyone making any substantial effort in doing so.

Village headmen and other influental people telling villagers for whom to vote has not been introduced by TRT, this has been common practise all along under every Thai government.

Edited by ColPyat

as most upcountry people ........... don't like to read, or can't? :o

Sushiman that is a totally untrue stereotype statement about the upcountry people and a good example of what they have been bombarded with constantly over the last month. I'll forgive you, as English is not your native language, but the comment in that my wife made about your statement is, unfortunately, against the forum rules to post in any language.

as most upcountry people ........... don't like to read, or can't? :D

Sushiman that is a totally untrue stereotype statement about the upcountry people and a good example of what they have been bombarded with constantly over the last month. I'll forgive you, as English is not your native language, but the comment in that my wife made about your statement is, unfortunately, against the forum rules to post in any language.

Dear Lukimar,

Sorry which rule do you mean? (I'm a Newbie and maybe better go check the rules first! Yes).

Of course I didn't meant all, and your wife most probably, is one of them who understands what is going on. I never want to blame the countrypeople for all 100%. How would I dare..

This of course is everywhere for all groups in our society: There are educated and undecucated, nice people - not nice people - honest and corrupt people and anything in between of course in all groups of society. So should our opinions be, open for critics and openness even if a part of our own group is concerned, right?

Maybe even some Thaksin supporters have their right points and good views too, which are valid.

Thaksin of course is not 100% evil and did only bad things. It just was tipping over, and I guess it's to much to let him be PM anymore (just my opinion).

That's what this forum is about, and I hope and suppose no stereotpye statements is taking

for all people mentioned to serious, as in every group not all can have the same opinion and therefore never all should be included. If it sounded like this, I apologize and it was not my intention to make it look like this.

I'm just talking here about the majority, which maybe and most propably are being uneducated or pulled in the wrong direction, due to controlled gov. TV Media and quick loans and wrong promises etc.

By the way it was also a serious question, as I really don't know how many people upcountry can't read? That's why I put the question mark.

Nothing against the upcountry people at all. My gf is also from Isaan and I learned alot from them. It's just a fact that lower educated countries or regions tend to to have more dictatoral and corrupt rulers, no? And the majority of the country people are of course less educated also do to their hard work on the farming side etc. and also the lack of time, to study all newspapers, go to school etc. etc. No blame at all!

I also don't clearly mean undeducatad in general terms. I even guess upcountry people have in generel e.g. a better "emotional intellegence" than city people, as especially Isaan people are famous for their humor, family sense, down to earth living style and hard working spirit etc., which is being lost sometimes here in urban cities.

So yes your right, it was a bit to sterotype and I apologize for that.

So keep up the good posting and sorry if you missunderstood my opinion for all country people.

I'm just talking for this matter, in this case for some people upcountry, who are not to be blamed but the people who pay them, and false inform them, should be.

and last not least, we have also the same problem here in the city of course. But of course

I hope less, which the election results maybe can and will show.

nice day

Sushiman

Edited by sushiman

when does someone go out and educate those people about the realities

he gets beaten on the head by a chair...

Thaksin did all in his power to stop information getting to the people. That includes using state power on the ground to campaign for TRT. It's not fair to say that Democrats didn't do anything at all - they run in every constituency, and they campaigned, but were no match for TRT's dirty games.

As for elections - PAD and the Opposition do not recognise them, whichever way chips fall, and protests will continue.

It's of course worrisome that army is pulling towards Bangkok, if what Colpyat says is true, but polls give Thaksin only about 20% support here - he won't dare to take Bangkok by force, or the South, which will be "No Thaksin zone".

when does someone go out and educate those people about the realities

he gets beaten on the head by a chair...

Thaksin did all in his power to stop information getting to the people. That includes using state power on the ground to campaign for TRT. It's not fair to say that Democrats didn't do anything at all - they run in every constituency, and they campaigned, but were no match for TRT's dirty games.

As for elections - PAD and the Opposition do not recognise them, whichever way chips fall, and protests will continue.

It's of course worrisome that army is pulling towards Bangkok, if what Colpyat says is true, but polls give Thaksin only about 20% support here - he won't dare to take Bangkok by force, or the South, which will be "No Thaksin zone".

What you fail to mention is that the demonstrators have only a support of about 20% in Bangkok as well. What you can't understand is that many people simply dislike both Thaksin and the PAD here in Bangkok, especially since the Siam Paragon demonstrations.

And holding a speach in Chiangmai hardly is campaigning in rural Thailand, it is holding a speach in the second biggest urban centre in Thailand after not contesting in the elections. Nothing more.

I don't know if you have ever lived for a considerable amount of time in a backward rural Mu Ban outside the main Ampur. Before Thaksin the only time you saw politicians of any party was just before election times. Since Thaksin - the only time you see any politician of any of the other party is just before election time (not so this time - they just don't go there).

What you see though is the TRT holding regular meetings with the locals.

Thaksin does not even need to stop those parties from giving out information to the villagers, because those parties simply do not make an apearance in the villages.

And this is the latest news from the bloke who has on countless occasions boasted that he is prepared to lay down his life for the Thai nation. Awfully convenient to make a holiday in China only days before the most crucial moment in the ongoing saga, and even more convenient to find out that there are no return tickets available to come back in time... :o

From the breaking news on the Nation website:

Sondhi delays return from China: Manager Online

Manager Online announces on its Web site on Saturday that Sondhi Limthongkul, a decision maker of the People's Alliance for Democracy, would delay his return from China.

Sondhi gave an interview from China Friday night that he would return from China Saturday night.

But Manager Online said Sondhi could not book a ticket to return Saturday night and he had learnt that some people planned to greet his return with violence.

Manager Online said Sondhi rescheduled his return an would return as soon as possible, after which he would hold a press conference.

Sondhi has denied that he fled to China to avoid being taken legal action on lese majesty charges.