Thailand Heralds New Ipv6 Internet Era

webfact

Thailand heralds new IPv6 Internet era
By English News

13703964616497.jpg

BANGKOK, June 5 – Thailand’s Internet Protocol (IP) will be changed from version 4 (IPv4) to the latest version 6 (IPv6) to deal with IP address exhaustion in the near future, according to a cabinet resolution yesterday.

The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Ministry informed the cabinet that IPv4, which currently carries the vast majority of Internet traffic allows only 4 billion addresses, but the need has arisen for more addresses than IPv4 can accommodate.

Every device on the Internet must be assigned an IP address to communicate with other devices.

IPv6 offers much larger address space and the length of an IPv6 address is 128 bits, compared with 32 bits in IPv4.

The ICT Ministry explained that IPv6 will support Long Term Evolution (LTE) service for 3G and 4G high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals and new applications in the future.

The replacement to IPv6 starts this year and will take three years, but private Internet service providers should have their wireless systems connected to IPv6 by December next year.

At least 10,000 government agencies, institutes and schools should be provided with IPv6 by December 2015. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-05

jottum another era of internet blackouts is coming to Thailand ( but now they have an excuse , it's the Ipv6 , you need to buy a new router from us that is compatible ,, just wait )

• Like 2

Downtime could be possible as they need to change to ipv6 capable equipment, also eventually (if you already don't have one) you have to change your Router/ Modem at home to be ipv6 capable.

But don't expect this to happen in the near future, my guess it is another 3-5 year wait.

Edit: SpElLiNg

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

IPv6 dates from 1998. How is this "news".

The whole planet has been migrating (at the speed of a glacier admittedly) to IPv6 for at least a decade. NAT routers meant that IPv4 has lasted a lot longer than expected, and also increases your security as people can't easily see (from the internet) what's behind the router.

(And so long as your router supports IPv6, you can carry on using IPv4 if you want on your home network).

Edited by bkk_mike

The whole planet has been migrating (at the speed of a glacier admittedly) to IPv6 for at least a decade.<snip>

Because it's almost too late, and that means they may have to take action, but lets first talk about it some more etc etc etc etc etc thumbsup.gif

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

The whole planet has been migrating (at the speed of a glacier admittedly) to IPv6 for at least a decade.<snip>

Because it's almost too late, and that means they may have to take action, but lets first talk about it some more etc etc etc etc etc thumbsup.gif

just a thought has the rest of the world allready moved on to IPv8 or so ??

cos they tend to be 1 step behind here in LOS

But the old internet still does not work right here.

Why can't they just fix the present internet first and then worry about the address thing afterwards?

What good does it do to care about running out of addresses if this whole local network is so slow that no one really wants to use it in the first place?

But the old internet still does not work right here.

Why can't they just fix the present internet first and then worry about the address thing afterwards?

What good does it do to care about running out of addresses if this whole local network is so slow that no one really wants to use it in the first place?

Internet connectivity is a Global Thing and not only a Thai problem, so they first have to solve the Global Thingy and then eventually (when nothing else matters) maybe fix internet within Thailand.

Global concerns count for more then the Internet Connectivity problems of Somchai in the backwaters of Fareast Isarn !!

wai.gif

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

TOT are in a mess in Chonburi somehow they seem to have lost bandwith on upload in my part of Chonburi.

Result is one click will start a video and you can watch for an hour. But try clicking you way through a long list of emails and you go mad waiting for your email and often the upclick dies on the vine beause the download times out.

Worse if you are form filling or typing your pass word the individual keystokes are so slow that you time out or your password keeps getting scrambled. Worse still when typing on line at the moment the charactors and words get scambled because of numerous micro time outs.

The technicians that come to my place don't have a clue what is causing the problem. If any of you can offer me a advice I'd be most grateful.

Last month, TV page downloads were really fast. Now sometimes it takes literally minutes. Trying to post a topic the first time is a nightmare because the system just times out.

I cannot go on like this, but must find a faster more responsive system with far less latency, or whatever you want to call it.

This is so frustrating to use sometimes I occasionally feel like throwing my shoe through the television set, but I don't even have one.

I will be calling the ISP next week and find out if it will be faster for me to use wireless or something.

I wish I knew more about the network and why it is like this!

I am sure if I were posting from a different country then my internet problems would be solved.

Edited by OldChinaHam

TOT are in a mess in Chonburi somehow they seem to have lost bandwith on upload in my part of Chonburi.

Result is one click will start a video and you can watch for an hour. But try clicking you way through a long list of emails and you go mad waiting for your email and often the upclick dies on the vine beause the download times out.

Worse if you are form filling or typing your pass word the individual keystokes are so slow that you time out or your password keeps getting scrambled. Worse still when typing on line at the moment the charactors and words get scambled because of numerous micro time outs.

The technicians that come to my place don't have a clue what is causing the problem. If any of you can offer me a advice I'd be most grateful.

If you have a choice, dump TOT. If I had a choice, I would.

If you have a choice, dump TOT. If I had a choice, I would.

I have tried most ISP and ended up with CAT. I understand they are the only ones who bring the service to your router via fiber optic cabling. The others use fiber optic along the main thorough fares and then copper from there to your router. Sure we get some outage, but very little and I have bought a 20MB package which serves 6 houses, including a step up router. Now a very happy surferthumbsup.gifwai2.gif

"Now a very happy surferthumbsup.gifwai2.gif"

Hi robertson468, if it would not be too much trouble may I ask how does one become a happy surfer in CM?

1. I am not sure the building here will allow extra cables coming in. We now have WiFi, but it is the bottom of the barrel as far as performance, really terrible. Speed varies all over the place and sometime we need to wait a minute to have a webpage load. I have never used internet this bad anywhere else but CM. Maybe it is the WiFi, maybe there is not enough bandwidth, but this is the second place in CM that the performance is identically terrible.

2. What can be done? I tried to find out if I can get 3G wireless service from AIS, but they only allow 1GB of 3G per month, totally useless, and Crazy.

3. Can you suggest something, some fix I can use quickly? I just need a very fast responsive system like I am used to in Taiwan for the past 10 years.

Hope that this post is not off topic because it seems to be in the spirit of all the comments above.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Oh, please God, let someone with brains handle this - so leave out the government.

monkey-stupid.gif

Please God let the Korean Government fix the whole shebang.

They are number one in the world and know much about how to make the internet hum!

We're talkin blistering fast speeds and low low price installed where you want it when you want it.

Hi robertson468, if it would not be too much trouble may I ask how does one become a happy surfer in CM?

1. I am not sure the building here will allow extra cables coming in. We now have WiFi, but it is the bottom of the barrel as far as performance, really terrible. Speed varies all over the place and sometime we need to wait a minute to have a webpage load. I have never used internet this bad anywhere else but CM. Maybe it is the WiFi, maybe there is not enough bandwidth, but this is the second place in CM that the performance is identically terrible.

2. What can be done? I tried to find out if I can get 3G wireless service from AIS, but they only allow 1GB of 3G per month, totally useless, and Crazy.

3. Can you suggest something, some fix I can use quickly? I just need a very fast responsive system like I am used to in Taiwan for the past 10 years.

Hope that this post is not off topic because it seems to be in the spirit of all the comments above.

i had the same till i switched with the same provider TOT to another not so popular package ( 12 instead of 10 Mb ) i pay 100 thb more but no problems since keep getting a decent bandwidth with even more up than they promise

• Like 1

i had the same till i switched with the same provider TOT to another not so popular package ( 12 instead of 10 Mb ) i pay 100 thb more but no problems since keep getting a decent bandwidth with even more up than they promise

Thank you. I would definitely be willing to pay more to upgrade, especially only 100Baht. The problem is that the apt building I am in only provides WiFi, and told me they do not allow ISP to install separate lines for tenants. Tenants must therefore use the WiFi provided by the Apt Building Management company.

This is why I was looking for an alternative solution, such as getting and Air-Card from AIS. But they tell me they offer only one package of 1GB per month, at 3G speeds, which would be around 5 to 10 Mbps, Then, after the first GB of capacity is used up, the service switches to 2G or 1G which offers 64Kbps! How CRAZY is this? So this is obviously useless to use an AirCard in Thailand as a replacement for ADSL.

I just cannot BELIEVE that in the year 2013 this internet connectivity craziness still torments us!

If you, retell, or ribertson368, or anyone has any good solution, PLEASE let me know.

Even to get this far, in posting a response to your comment, it has taken me several tries reloading the page and pushing the quote button. Who knows how many tries it will require to actually post the thing.\

I kid you not! If this kinds of service were offered anywhere in Taiwan, HK, China or S. Korea, there would be h-ll to pay.

How can anyone actually do anything with any efficiency under these wacky internet conditions.

Who gives a Cr-p about addresses when things are this way?

Ipv6 my you know what!!

Anyway, if anyone out there has a good idea to solve this problem at a reasonable price, short of moving elsewhere in CM, or moving to S. Korea, PLEASE let me know.

TKS!

Thank you. I would definitely be willing to pay more to upgrade, especially only 100Baht. The problem is that the apt building I am in only provides WiFi, and told me they do not allow ISP to install separate lines for tenants. Tenants must therefore use the WiFi provided by the Apt Building Management company.

This is why I was looking for an alternative solution, such as getting and Air-Card from AIS. But they tell me they offer only one package of 1GB per month, at 3G speeds, which would be around 5 to 10 Mbps, Then, after the first GB of capacity is used up, the service switches to 2G or 1G which offers 64Kbps! How CRAZY is this? So this is obviously useless to use an AirCard in Thailand as a replacement for ADSL.

I just cannot BELIEVE that in the year 2013 this internet connectivity craziness still torments us!

If you, retell, or ribertson368, or anyone has any good solution, PLEASE let me know.

Even to get this far, in posting a response to your comment, it has taken me several tries reloading the page and pushing the quote button. Who knows how many tries it will require to actually post the thing.\

I kid you not! If this kinds of service were offered anywhere in Taiwan, HK, China or S. Korea, there would be h-ll to pay.

How can anyone actually do anything with any efficiency under these wacky internet conditions.

Who gives a Cr-p about addresses when things are this way?

Ipv6 my you know what!!

Anyway, if anyone out there has a good idea to solve this problem at a reasonable price, short of moving elsewhere in CM, or moving to S. Korea, PLEASE let me know.

TKS!

you think you can receive the winet antenna (have to be in vieuw ) from behind you app window ? or balcony ? then it would be simple just get your own wifi set (not big antenna 5x10 cm , modem even smaller , so just how high up the app building are you ?

• Like 1

"you think you can receive the winet antenna (have to be in vieuw ) from behind you app window ? or balcony ? then it would be simple just get your own wifi set (not big antenna 5x10 cm , modem even smaller , so just how high up the app building are you ?"

Thank you. I am on the 2nd floor of an apt building in CM, If it needs to be line of sight, then line of sight to "what"? Outside my balcony there are no obstructions, such as buildings, for about 0.5 km at least, nothing but trees.

But I don't really understand what type of internet service you are suggesting.

I need reliable 10Mbps download and about 1Mbps upload will be plenty.I need to do downloading from international server ftp and the server can download way faster than 10Mbps, but this will still be OK.

The biggest problem is the instability of the connection, having it drop to zero at random times, and then waiting sometimes a minute to load a webpage, just basically what commenters are talking about above on this topic. I have no idea which service provider you are suggesting I use with the antenna you mention here. Are you speaking of line of sight to satellite perchance? Because I am not sure that the upload speeds are very fast with satellite connection. I researched this for internet connections to Maine USA, which is even worse than Thailand, and this was not such a good option then. Maybe you are suggesting something else.

Thank you, can you pleases be more specific?

"you think you can receive the winet antenna (have to be in vieuw ) from behind you app window ? or balcony ? then it would be simple just get your own wifi set (not big antenna 5x10 cm , modem even smaller , so just how high up the app building are you ?"

Thank you. I am on the 2nd floor of an apt building in CM, If it needs to be line of sight, then line of sight to "what"? Outside my balcony there are no obstructions, such as buildings, for about 0.5 km at least, nothing but trees.

But I don't really understand what type of internet service you are suggesting.

I need reliable 10Mbps download and about 1Mbps upload will be plenty.I need to do downloading from international server ftp and the server can download way faster than 10Mbps, but this will still be OK.

The biggest problem is the instability of the connection, having it drop to zero at random times, and then waiting sometimes a minute to load a webpage, just basically what commenters are talking about above on this topic. I have no idea which service provider you are suggesting I use with the antenna you mention here. Are you speaking of line of sight to satellite perchance? Because I am not sure that the upload speeds are very fast with satellite connection. I researched this for internet connections to Maine USA, which is even worse than Thailand, and this was not such a good option then. Maybe you are suggesting something else.

Thank you, can you pleases be more specific?

the signal you will get wireless between the antenna and your app , usually these winet are in hi up with red flashing lights antennas the speed between the antenna and your modem is about 130 Mb/s but depends on your contract what you will get 7 -10-12- 20

OK. Sorry, I now see what you mean by Winet from TOT. I found info on TV by Googling a couple of terms.

Still any further info would be valuable.

I will call TOT tomorrow.

Thank you!

i think your landlord is afraid that if you move out from the app you will not cancel the contract with the isp so he will be the one that get the bill after a few months

Thank you for the Winet TOT, and the DTAC suggestions. I will call for information about both solutions tomorrow.

Looking at what was discussed re the DTAC solution on TV in this link http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/536752-true-3g-versu-ais-3g/ mentioned above by JetsetBkk,

It would seem that they are charging 299Baht for 70 hours of use during a given month with a DTAC Air-card.

This seems completely confusing and sort of ridiculous plan to me (of course I am very grateful for your helping me to know what is available in CM)

But I just cannot fathom why these companies don't just provide us with an Air-card which which will give us unlimited internet use, up and down, for one month and charge us a reasonable rate???

Wireless is used in many other countries instead of copper where these developing countries are starting without any telecom infrastructure at all.

It is these developing countries which are now way out ahead in some respects.

Thank you for all the help and information,

I will keep weighing the options during the rest of the week so I can make some sort of decision next week,

Which will be to choose least terrible of the lousy options which seem available.

Sorry to be negative, but I have never run into this type of internet connectivity craziness before.

(I spent about 45 minutes at AIS this afternoon, just cooling my heals, waiting for information which turned out to be worse than fertilizer.

Fertilizer is useful.)

So thank you very much for the info above!