Injured Man Dies After Bangkok Cop Tells Ambulance To Move

webfact

Wow!

Okay...it is pretty early and I try to get my thoughts in order on this...

A cop tells an emergency crew to move an obviously immobile crash victim and the ambulance car for 100 meters , in order to ease a traffic situation that occurs on almost every road in Bangkok every single day of the year.

Did I get that right?!

And because of that delay, the crash victim died?

This policeman should not only be taken off the job immediately, he should be punished.

This is almost as if he is actively being involved in killing that guy.

I am not a native english- speaker...but that is almost man- slaughter!

What an @$$hole!

Unbelievable!

Well - there is no evidence that the crach victim died because of the actions of the policeman.

It sure didn't hrlp!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

A cop tells an emergency crew to move an obviously immobile crash victim and the ambulance car for 100 meters , in order to ease a traffic situation that occurs on almost every road in Bangkok every single day of the year.

Did I get that right?!

This policeman should not only be taken off the job immediately, he should be punished.

What an @$$hole!

Unbelievable!

It is manslaughter.

I always find that at every accident scene in Thailand, the cops always have one priority in mind, which is to clear the road to allow traffic to flow again.

However, I've seen some eerily grim accident scenes throughout the country as a result as it doesn't seem to be a loss of face for the authorities to do something stupid in regards to road accident victims, like for instance an untrained cop to move a person's body that might be suffering from internal bleeding or a dislocated shoulder, broken spine, etc.

Usually they close only the lane of traffic that is directly blocked by the accident and keep adjacent lanes (if there are any) or in the case of a two way road create a diversion onto the shoulder allowing full view of the accident scene by motorists who drive past. During this time dozens, if not hundreds of motorists are given the opportunity to take snapshots, videos etc. of what's going on.

It's the complete opposite in China. I remember an accident back in 2011, must have been a grizzly one between Mile and Mengzi in Yunnan province on the road down to the Vietnamese border. This section of road still has two-way traffic for about 75km although an upcoming missing link in the expressway will soon allow you to travel by expressway all the way from Kunming to Hekou on the Vietnamese border. It's this missing link that bears the brunt of accidents in that region, little surprise when you think about it after coming from a nice 6-lane expressway onto a narrow 2-way road with rainwater ditches on both sides, tons of slow moving 60km/h trucks and 100km/h cars that overtake/pass blindly it's no wonder.

Anyway what happened was (according to my theory as my point here is that if an accident occurs in China you'll never see it) that a car was trying to pass an oncoming truck thus causing a head-on collision with both vehicles going into the ditch.

The aftermath? The Chinese police attended the scene, blocked ALL traffic coming from both directions thus causing an approximately 20km (maybe more) traffic jam in EACH direction while they carried out their investigations for around 3 hours. This is the amount of time we were stuck in traffic without moving even one inch (a friend and I were passengers on a Hekou bound bus) followed by another 30+ mins of very slow moving past the accident scene. Once we passed what looked like the accident scene, sand was poured over the area in which it occurred, with little evidence left of any vehicles involved.

On the return journey in the very same area an overturned truck, which had spilled some cargo onto the road blocked us for another 45 minutes. On another occasion another 3-4 hour traffic jam in the middle of the night on the Jinghong-Kunming expressway forced us to sleep inside our car inside an expressway tunnel for most of the night due to an accident.

In both cases, I never saw any evidence of any accidents. It seems the Chinese police don't want anyone to see the aftermath of an accident and are always professional in terms of investigating these accidents. Come to think of it, blocking all traffic in the direction where an accident occurred is what cops do in western countries.

That's why it's only in countries like Thailand and Vietnam where you see barbaric accidents and unprofessional scenes of police officers trying to get traffic flowing again at all costs.

Thai cop 1: "Investigate? Please explain what that means?" Thai cop 2: "Nah, we don't do that here. My shift ends at 12pm and as it's now 11.20am, I can't afford to do unnecessary things that would eat into my lunch break or my afternoon of television watching."

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Wow!

Did I get that right?!

What an @$$hole!

Unbelievable!

Well - there is no evidence that the crach victim died because of the actions of the policeman.

does it matter,he DIED,,his actions were discusting you know that

• Like 1

<deleted> since when did the police have authority over ambos in a life and death situation? I have attended numerous serious incidents and accidents and we definitely can not give orders to ambo's. An ambulance attending a life threatening situation can park anywhere it bloody well likes as human life takes priority over everything. Who cares if traffic is held up if it saves a life. What the BIB should have been was diverting traffic down another route ( if possible) even if it is 1km back down the road.

I would hate to be in this coppers shoes if it was in Australia as he would be in a pile of poop and facing internal disciplinary action and lets not forget a coronial inquiry where he could be found to have contributed to the death and the civil action that may come after. If it was an Aussie ambo the copper would have been told to pull his head in and to F off.

That's the difference between having a competent, professional, educated, well trained, impartial and diligent police service................ and the BiB!

Sadly, the BiB are the polarized opposites from what you, I and others would recognize as police officers.

• Like 1

Wow!

Did I get that right?!

What an @$$hole!

Unbelievable!

"And because of that delay, the crash victim died?"

Was there any evidence in the news report for this causal inference?

<deleted> since when did the police have authority over ambos in a life and death situation? I have attended numerous serious incidents and accidents and we definitely can not give orders to ambo's. An ambulance attending a life threatening situation can park anywhere it bloody well likes as human life takes priority over everything. Who cares if traffic is held up if it saves a life. What the BIB should have been was diverting traffic down another route ( if possible) even if it is 1km back down the road.

I would hate to be in this coppers shoes if it was in Australia as he would be in a pile of poop and facing internal disciplinary action and lets not forget a coronial inquiry where he could be found to have contributed to the death and the civil action that may come after. If it was an Aussie ambo the copper would have been told to pull his head in and to F off.

It is not Australia.

We all know it's not Australia. But comparisons and benchmarks with better services helps emphasize just how crap somethings are.

I thought the job of Police is to "Serve and Protect" So where is the protection and I do not understand how backed up traffic is more important than a mans life.

So there is a traffic back up. They Stop traffic for for others in higher rank. You have been on the Highway when traffic is halted for government officials. So why not a dying man

Amazing Thailand

couldnt agredd with you more , well said chooka see the saints go marching in

I thought the job of Police is to "Serve and Protect" So where is the protection and I do not understand how backed up traffic is more important than a mans life.

So there is a traffic back up. They Stop traffic for for others in higher rank. You have been on the Highway when traffic is halted for government officials. So why not a dying man

Amazing Thailand

I thought the job of Police is to "Serve and Protect"

yes it is but unfortunately they serve and protect only a few.

why am i not surprised. time and traffic are the only things on people's minds when they drive in LOS. it's appalling how Thai drivers show no courtesy whatsoever to ambulances. vehicles overtaking, cutting off, or blocking an ambulance with its siren on is an all too familiar sight everywhere in this country. RIP to the man and everyone else who will become part of the statistic because of how people drive here in Thailand.

He was focused on doing what he was instructed to do - keep the traffic moving, saving a life - less important to him blink.png

It's amazing the way the police mind set is here - you see hundreds of people riding motorbikes at night without a helmet because the helmet road stops are during the day, approach a drug stop without a helmet and you'll be tested for drugs - pass twenty cops while not wearing a helmet - nothing because they're not on helmet duty

weird just weird

I don't believe this. As if.

It can be seen there's little respect for ambulances, and traffic doesn't give way here.

This is partly the fault of ambulance drivers who often use their sirens as a ploy to get through traffic even though they may not be going to/from the scene of an emergency or carrying a critically ill patient.

Really? How do you know this? Are you in the ambulance?

In a country where:

- ambulances are later than the "body snatchers"

- "body snatchers" are later than the paparazzi

- ambulances pay toll fees on the highway and have to cue for that

- government officials get roads emptied for their little fun trips just to show their power

- an MB can do anything and a pick-up nothing

... there might be some room for improvement; speaking of which makes Thailand a top hit on the list!

Those at the very bottom get nothing really and those at the very top walk on rose petals and never see cars blocking their way.

• Like 1

It's not just the police.. it's the majority of Thai people it seems.

The other day I was driving down the road and suddenly the traffic slowed. I noticed that just ahead cars were driving around a guy who was on the road flat on his back and not moving after he had been knocked off his motorbike.

I stopped and went over to the guy who was unconscious, I was the only person who stopped until a Australian man riding by on a motorbike also stopped. Then a Thai woman came over and was just about to pull the guys full face helmet off before we stopped her from touching him.

We could do little except wait for the ambulance to come, the police also turned up very quickly and were ONLY interested in spraying round the guys bike and getting it off the road asap.. they seemed to have no interest in the guy himself at all. Perhaps it's in their training.

To be fair, whilst it was a while before any Thai's stopped to offer help, it seems that more than one had very quickly called the ambulance and the police.. perhaps they don't like to get involved unless it's someone the know.

As the ambulance arrived the man appeared to regain consciousness and I think he was OK...

• Like 1

I do agree with the fact that the police acted unproffesional but like scott mentioned what is going on in the paramedics mind.

It did take another policeman and a second order to move out of the way of traffic?? It appears that the person died before the medics could act either way. It should be said that the injured person may have died regardless of the medics trying to stabilize this person. I think it is a tad early to say that the policeman is soley responsible. What say ye "hangem high brigade"?

I don't believe this. As if.

It can be seen there's little respect for ambulances, and traffic doesn't give way here.

Half of the people moaning about this on facebook wouldn't give way once the guy was in the ambulance anyway.

Whenever I see/hear the lights and sirens of an ambulance approaching from behind and pull over to give way, cars behind me without fail will see it as an opportunity to overtake and not even think about giving way.

Can't the "clowns" understand that one day, it might just be THEM in the bacl of the Ambulance? They have no respect for anyone.

It is not Australia.

It's really not Australia. Police are number one.

The cop commands you to move, you move. Or face the repercussions from the unstable issuer of the command.

The video of the incident shows the cop commanding the ambulance crew to move out and the ambulance crew abruptly skedaddles, leaving the victim on the roadside with just one attendant.

(note= Viewer caution, there's a quick bit of mildly graphic footage of the victim at the very beginning)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=112573782287193&set=vb.191234658086&type=2&theater

It's not just the policeman telling them to move the ambulance, it's the fact that the paramedics actually did it that concerns me.

Exactly. It's the polices job to keep the road free and paramedic to say yea or nay whether the patient can be moved.

Wow!

Did I get that right?!

What an @$$hole!

Unbelievable!

Years of experience working for the DA's office tell you that?

Wow!

Did I get that right?!

What an @$$hole!

Unbelievable!

It sure didn't hrlp!

lol... good point!

It is not Australia.

It's really not Australia. Police are number one.

The cop commands you to move, you move. Or face the repercussions from the unstable issuer of the command.

The video of the incident shows the cop commanding the ambulance crew to move out and the ambulance crew abruptly skedaddles, leaving the victim on the roadside with just one attendant.

(note= Viewer caution, there's a quick bit of mildly graphic footage of the victim at the very beginning)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=112573782287193&set=vb.191234658086&type=2&theater

Now your going to tell us the laws of our country? Why do you even bother posting if you know nothing about the laws of either country.

At best your just making assumptions, where old mate has obviously worked in the field.

So pack up your toys and pick up a book.

Edited by Sayonarax
  • Like 1

I am amazed at the non-caring attitude of most Thai drivers/riders to Ambulances with flashing lights.

Perhaps they think the lights are just to make the vehicle look pretty, and maybe they can go and buy similar lights for their own vehicle?

Comes down to a distinct Lack Of Manners by Thai Drivers/Riders who are amongst the Rudest people on the roads of the world. Maybe they fail to understand that one day it might be them or one of their loved-ones in the back of the vehicle with the "pretty flashing lights" and then they'll wonder why other road users don't get out of the way. Ah! of course, it will then be entirely the fault of the FARANG!