Asean And The Thai Car Market?

What impact if any will the full implementation of the ASEAN pact have on new car prices here in Thailand? Will duties, excise fees, etc. be reduced? When does it go into effect? I am now looking at the new Accord but hopefully the Camry will have a truly new makeover in a year or two to be more competitive.

There is already a free trade agreement between all the ASEAN members that manufacture cars (TH, MY, PH, ID) so nothing will change in respect to import duties.

There is a change coming for general excise taxes in 2016 though, but for most cars it will only keep them the same, or make them more expensive.

IMHO, Thanks for the reply, how old is the current generation Camry? Nearby all the periodicals I have read give a clear advantage to the new Accord. I would think Toyota would take the challenge more seriously since this is such an important market segment worldwide.

IMHO, Thanks for the reply, how old is the current generation Camry? Nearby all the periodicals I have read give a clear advantage to the new Accord. I would think Toyota would take the challenge more seriously since this is such an important market segment worldwide.

The current gen Camry was released in Thailand in March 2012.

If these periodicals are Thai, take them with grains of salt, there's a lot of brand bias out there - if they're not Thai be wary that they likely won't be comparing the same models we have here. Test drive and evaluate yourself :)

If these periodicals are Thai, take them with grains of salt, there's a lot of brand bias out there - if they're not Thai be wary that they likely won't be comparing the same models we have here. Test drive and evaluate yourself smile.png

I guess I have been out to lunch. I thought the new Camry was just cosmetic changes and not a new generation. I will have to do a reevaluation now. All my impressions were based on foreign press periodicals. I have got a 2011 Toyota Altis TRD and frankly it is the blandest, most boring car I have ever owned. The Camry is seldom in the showroom here in Pattaya and test drives and comparisons are difficult. That is why forums like this can be helpful.

If these periodicals are Thai, take them with grains of salt, there's a lot of brand bias out there - if they're not Thai be wary that they likely won't be comparing the same models we have here. Test drive and evaluate yourself smile.png

I guess I have been out to lunch. I thought the new Camry was just cosmetic changes and not a new generation. I will have to do a reevaluation now. All my impressions were based on foreign press periodicals. I have got a 2011 Toyota Altis TRD and frankly it is the blandest, most boring car I have ever owned. The Camry is seldom in the showroom here in Pattaya and test drives and comparisons are difficult. That is why forums like this can be helpful.

Can't be that bland it's got TRD stickerswink.png

• Like 1

If these periodicals are Thai, take them with grains of salt, there's a lot of brand bias out there - if they're not Thai be wary that they likely won't be comparing the same models we have here. Test drive and evaluate yourself :)

Can't be that bland it's got TRD stickers;)

Well, putting TRD stickers, skirts, etc. on a Altis is like putting lipstick on a pig.