Thailand The Odd Man Out In Regional Big Power Games: Opinion

webfact

Thailand has many embassies overseas and presumably they send diplomatic cables back to the Foreign Ministry on matters happening within the country where they are located although Thailand's view of the world is probably rather short sighted compared to other nations.

However knowing what goes on in diplomatic circles will this government be so naive as to think what's happening here isn't been reported around the world and must be making the readers in many Foreign Ministries cringe ?

I suppose we can have a mixture of Thai belief in being " the hub " of everything coupled with the PTP's attitude of " if we say everything is just fine then that's exactly what it is ".

Some of the stuff that came out of Wikileaks showed embassies etc reporting home use less than flattering and definitely not diplomatic language about their host government. Would love to see some of the stuff being said about the Thai government and various personalities

Maybe the word coup does not get used.but I'm sure there must be great fear of major civil disorder brewing.

Plenty out there from foreign embassies about Thailand.

Good for golf and *** , I think was one of the less diplomatic compliments a few years ago.

• Like 1

Especially worrying (if it is true) is this quote from the article:

Quote//

Thousands of community radio channels, especially the unregistered ones, continue to broadcast inciting and hateful speech and information against political opponents, contrary to the state objectives of community building and integration. //

Exactly. Talking out of both sides of one's mouth at the same time is a Thaksin speciality.

No it's not. Dribbling is.. that's why he thinks he's so level-headed. giggle.gif

-mel.

Good to read a a no bovine faeces assessment of Thailand increasingly lack of political importance. Its geographical location and relatively stable political system made it the centre of SEA in the past. Now its unique brand of politics has made it a joke with its ministers more fools and village idiots than statesmen. The rise of Thailands neighbours and their increasingly stable political systems will further sideline Thailand while the development of a deep water port in Burma will neuter Thailands geographical advantages. Thailsnda says of easy glory are over and the present government is turning her into a failed state she need to evolcve to a more dynamic innovative country to compete or Thailand will be left far behind.

Thailand has many embassies overseas and presumably they send diplomatic cables back to the Foreign Ministry on matters happening within the country where they are located although Thailand's view of the world is probably rather short sighted compared to other nations.

However knowing what goes on in diplomatic circles will this government be so naive as to think what's happening here isn't been reported around the world and must be making the readers in many Foreign Ministries cringe ?

I suppose we can have a mixture of Thai belief in being " the hub " of everything coupled with the PTP's attitude of " if we say everything is just fine then that's exactly what it is ".

Some of the stuff that came out of Wikileaks showed embassies etc reporting home use less than flattering and definitely not diplomatic language about their host government. Would love to see some of the stuff being said about the Thai government and various personalities

Maybe the word coup does not get used.but I'm sure there must be great fear of major civil disorder brewing.

Good for golf and *** , I think was one of the less diplomatic compliments a few years ago.

Sounds like Prince Andrew !
  • Like 1

Well, back in 1965.....

"

Thailand has many embassies overseas and presumably they send
diplomatic cables back to the Foreign Ministry on matters happening
within the country where they are located although Thailand's view of
the world is probably rather short sighted compared to other nations.

However knowing what goes on in diplomatic circles will this
government be so naive as to think what's happening here isn't been
reported around the world and must be making the readers in many Foreign
Ministries cringe ?

Sir-Anthony-Rumbold.pdf

He arrived rapidly after that recommendation.

Like a diplomatic trip advisor of its time.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Well, back in 1965.....

"

Ministries cringe ?

Sir-Anthony-Rumbold.pdf

When i read that, a little while ago, I thought this bloke would have fitted in on thaivisa perfectly.

• Like 1

[sounds like Prince Andrew !

As far as I am concerned any Royal Family posts are inappropriate..... If HRH Prince Andrew was in front of you, you would run a mile and some..... If you were able?

I have served with him so I know.......... Nuff said!

• Like 1

“Moreover, a longstanding Thai request for a Yingluck visit to the White House

has not yet been realised.”
LOL If any of you saw the photos of the flirting by Ms. Yingluck towards Pres.
Obama on his visit to the Kingdom last year and know anything about the First
Lady Michelle Obama, you know that visit will never happen. It’s really a shame
that Dr. Thaksin doesn’t realize his time has passed. He is the major stumbling
block to Thailand progress on the World stage.

• Like 1

Obama has probably been warned by Michelle about his kissy, huggy antics with YS and ASSK.

YS is probably persona non-grata in the Oval Office after the come hither looks she gave the President..

Well, back in 1965.....

"

Ministries cringe ?

attachicon.gifSir-Anthony-Rumbold.pdf

Thanks for posting the document, I enjoyed reading it start to finish.

Thaksin is not even a pimple on the arse of Thailand, and should not take up so much space on this forum. What holds Thailand back is, Thailand. Don't expect that to change until the big event happens.

Edited by 55Jay

I'm glad Thailand is beginning to get its political and economic comeuppance. It's not for any deep seated disdain I feel for the place itself, but rather my inherent pragmatism. If one wishes to be successful in the world, there is particular code of conduct that must be adhered to. In essence, fairness and honesty -- two things Thailand lacks in seemingly every facet of its society. Thais are not exempt from ethical behavior, particularly on the world stage.

It's as if the government thinks it can play the role of scheming bargirl in world affairs, be it in attempting to fudge the rice scheme numbers, allowing tourists to get ripped off, or in other blatant displays of selfish arrogance.

"...a longstanding Thai request for a Yingluck visit to the White House has not yet been realised"

If some new girl in my local bar gave me the "handsum man" treatment while the g/f was watching, I doubt she would get an invite round for morning tea.

When the Dear Leader went to Washington didn't some Embassy official lose his job because there was no red carpet for his nibs to walk down?

Obama has probably been warned by Michelle about his kissy, huggy antics with YS and ASSK.

YS is probably persona non-grata in the Oval Office after the come hither looks she gave the President..

Oh I don't know. It would be a step up the ladder from having fun with an intern. Obama 10 Clinton 0.

Thailand does have the capacity to be major player in the AEC, after Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. But first it needs to avail itself of a government where corruption levels are at least manageable (this is Asia after all) and where appointment to senior positions is based on ability not connections.Hope springs eternal.

Are you actually suggesting a meritocracy in Thailand? A system where a leader, or a minister is chosen because of experience, talent or traits that would enable them to lead their respective ministries? What a completely novel concept. You are suggesting a wholesale change in the system, from top to bottom. Yes, you are hopeful indeed.

Oh I don't know. It would be a step up the ladder from having fun with an intern. Obama 10 Clinton 0.

So there would possibly be DNA on those Burberry Boots?

Hillary had already accepted Bill's philandering. Michelle will cut Barak's balls off.

I didn't know he played golf !

[sounds like Prince Andrew !

As far as I am concerned any Royal Family posts are inappropriate..... If HRH Prince Andrew was in front of you, you would run a mile and some..... If you were able?

I have served with him so I know.......... Nuff said!

I think you'll find the British Royal Family are more laid back than you suspect. The laws of the land allow their achievments to be respected and their faults recognized.

I hope your comments about Prince Andrew aren't intended to indicate that he is a thug, unable to accept another's viewpoint.

Ah we'll, back on topic