Google Map Directions Won't Display In English.

NomadJoe

Some Google programmers need to be shot.

I have searched this forum and don't see this specific problem posted yet. Google searches for a solution either provide me with ones I have already tried or are out of date and thus make no sense now.

I used to be able to use Google maps to get a nice shortlink containing both map and directions to our hotel. Now we have moved all of a sudden it's back to Thai again. This is insanity.

I start here: "https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en" the "en" for English.

I have set Google Chrome to display in English only under "settings"

I have set my personal Google account to display in English only.(I am doing this while signed in to my Google account)

I make sure "English" is checked in the "photos" drop down box on the map itself, but that only changes the street and city names on the map.

I tried IE and FF. Same result.

I don't want to solve this by using a UK or US based proxy because doing it that way the short URL will surely revert back to Thai if the guest clicks on it in Thailand.

All this and the directions along the left had side are still displayed in Thai. But then oddly Google Crome makes a poor attempt to translate them back to English which you can imagine what that ends up looking like.

post-153200-0-78830300-1370852892_thumb.

Edited by NomadJoe

Only work around that I found was to use Google Earth, instead of Google Maps

Does Google Earth have a "Directions" options? I know it does have a "Streetview" option.

This issue is primarily about Directions (and Nav.), as GMaps does still display both Thai and English street names based on the view level.

This problem appears in many instances, not just the Google directions or searches. I try to install a new Nvidia driver and it insists on Thai, cannot get it to go English (or any other of the five languages I can handle). Woulnd up firin up my VPN and picked a USA proxy. The buttheads in Silicon Gulch are trying way too hard to be helpful, and do not respond to emailed comments beyond canned responses.