Thai Swine Raisers Urge Yingluck To Ban U S Pork Imports

webfact

You can't beat the local thai meat.Cheap and great !

The local pork is great. Near us is a local guy who slaughters Napoleon or Snowball in the village and we always try to buy a few kilos as it's way better than the tasteless cuts on offer at Tesco.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The local pork is great. Near us is a local guy who slaughters Napoleon or Snowball in the village and we always try to buy a few kilos as it's way better than the tasteless cuts on offer at Tesco.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The better taste will be due to all the MSG they are feeding them...thumbsup.gif

Buddha beware - open competition,not with us!they actually don't even realize what a great quality their own pork has.IMHO one of the best(affordable) quality world wide.let the market do the judgement: great quality fore a even slightly higher price or cheap disgusting mass production .I would always be more than happy to pay a little bit more for a better taste and it don't have to be korubota pork nor jamon iberico... By the way- who has to eat every day a kilo of pork? quality not quantity is the key word.like it should be with everything in life...

• Like 1

Anyone grasp why the USA has lower costs of production or pig feeds than Thailand?

No big mystery. It's because the producers are heavily subsidized.

The junior senator from North Carolina pushed the U.S. Agriculture Department in October to subsidize an effort to boost pork sales in foreign markets.

That same senator, Lauch Faircloth, is one of the nation's leading hog farmers. He raises an estimated 140,000 hogs each year on nine North Carolina farms, and he has more than $1 million invested in two major pork-producing companies.

http://articles.philly.com/1994-12-17/news/25853545_1_hog-industry-hog-farmers-william-canfield

Today, the Obama administration announced yet another massive give-away to the pork industry–in the form of a $100 million buy-up of surplus pork.

This is the same industry that benefits from exports in the billions of dollars due in considerable part to the administration’s unceasing efforts to open markets for the pork industry across the globe.

And this is the same industry that benefits from crop insurance and other support programs for low-cost corn and soybeans used for feed, which is its biggest production cost.

There is no more pampered, government-subsidized industry than Big Agribusiness, and the pork industry wrote the book.

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2012/08/pork-industry-buyup.html

The US pork industry is hoping to be the next sector to benefit from increased government assistance.

The National Pork Producers Council has asked the US Department of Agriculture to spend almost $300 million buying American pork.

Despite the industry's woes, US pork is gaining market share in Australia, with North American imports rising about 30 per cent so far this year.

But if the latest request is approved, Robobank analyst Wendy Voss says it won't just be Australia's pig farmers who feel the pain.

http://www.abc.net.au/site-archive/rural/news/content/200908/s2667378.htm

from 2001: For big hog farms, big subsidies

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines.shtml?/headlines01/0817-03.htm

Edited by DeepInTheForest
  • Like 1

Completely erased pork from my diet two years a go and never been healthier and happier. clap2.gif

Ractopamine has been banned in the European Union, mainland China and Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ractopamine

Carbadox is a drug that combats bacterial infection in swine, particularly swine dysentery. In early 2004 it was banned by the Canadian government as alivestock feed additive and for human consumption, since it is carcinogenic and induces birth defects, as was shown in animal experiments.The European Union also forbids the use of Carbadox at any level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbadox

I don't see any problem here. After the US imports hit the market all the Yingluck government has to do is institute a "pork buying scheme." It seems to work well with rice. And, as the government goes further in debt with the pork buying scheme and gets it's credit down-rated by Moody's, I'll get more bang for the buck that I bring in from the US.

There's more than one way to bring the over-strong baht back into line!

Anyone grasp why the USA has lower costs of production or pig feeds than Thailand?

Great question. Then throw in the cost of shipping and handling, and import duties. Doesn't make sense.

Well if you want it tenderized you may have to beat your meat?

I think the monopoly enjoyed by a couple of massive Thai producers is the reason prices are high.

This is correct.

Great question. Then throw in the cost of shipping and handling, and import duties. Doesn't make sense.

Reading here, it might appear that Thailand has created a completely vertically integrated pork farming system with the farmers squeezed by feed prices and sale prices with the system gouging the consumer beautifully.

Thailand's biggest customer is the US.

Upsetting your biggest customer by blocking their trade isn't smart.

Still, this is the Shinawatra school of economics

Looks like nobody is thinking that this may affect the Thai shrimp exports to the US.

the people who sell pigfeed are same people who buy the pork wholesale,win,win,no competition,,im veggie but i reckon they should let it in no-ones forcing you to buy it,and when it goes off,youl get it at your local market,,MEAT IS MURDER,,,,,,,

the people who sell pigfeed are same people who buy the pork wholesale,win,win,no competition,,im veggie but i reckon they should let it in no-ones forcing you to buy it,and when it goes off,youl get it at your local market,,MEAT IS MURDER,,,,,,,

except every time they plow a field to grow vegetables thousands of little critters with faces die

And then killed again and again each plowing.

Welcome to the murder business

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97836&page=1#.UbacO2SFBJV

• Like 1

competition, not a word in a thais dictionary

not that i want that US hormones and antibiotic infested meat, the thai hormones and antibiotics are just fine as it is

why not raise a 307% import tax on US porc, same as they do with cars

Edited by belg

Because the local distributor is greedy...

Since the FTA with Australia came into place, cheese and margarine produced in australia is cheaper in the supermarket than local goods.....

Well if pigs can eat rice. Which I'm sure they can. There will be some low cost low quality stuff available soon. Just enquire at the Commerce ministry biggrin.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Nah.... too many snouts in the trough already!!

If there's money to be made on importing USA pork I'm sure some entrepeneur would already do so. Maybe the remarks on certain drugs not allowed in Thailand has some validity? Of course, for this government nothing is impossible. Import cheap pork for the masses and offer cheap loans to help swine raisers. All happy and the taxpayer isn't asked anyway.

To import meat into thailand, an inspection of the slaughter house in th US must be made by the thai version of the FDA...if it passes it then gets a license to export meat to thailand.

Big hassle for all but the good ol' boy network.

Reading here, it might appear that Thailand has created a completely vertically integrated pork farming system with the farmers squeezed by feed prices and sale prices with the system gouging the consumer beautifully.

With feed prices so high a lot of small Thai pig farmers have gone out of business in the last 2 years,so the big boys can stay afloat because they make there own feed pellets,which they sell to small guys,sick.gif

The US factory livestock business is a large co-op designed to mass produce as many pigs, chickens, cattle, etc. In as short a time as possible.

The smells can travel miles and the animals are packed in tight. They use drugs, chemicals, hormones etc. Why do you think the American kids get so large and sexually mature so young?

• Like 2

What a lot of pig shit. They can not compete with the US owing to the lower production costs in America. Total crap . The US has higher wages and overheads plus the shipping costs and can still undercut our poor beleaguered farmers.!!!!!

Just wait until the free market economy in Asean kicks in and these lazy ,greedy buggers will get what they deserve. This country is doomed owing to the lack of understanding that productivity needs management , planning and effort. Three qualities not readily available here.

Also do not expect the price in the market to go down as Thailand exports a large part of it's production overseas. Cheaper pork from the US will only serve to increase their margins.

Truthful and well said.

• Like 1

The US factory livestock business is a large co-op designed to mass produce as many pigs, chickens, cattle, etc. In as short a time as possible.

The smells can travel miles and the animals are packed in tight. They use drugs, chemicals, hormones etc. Why do you think the American kids get so large and sexually mature so young?

I know Thai pig farmers in my local area and I visit their farms, they are injecting hormones and injecting antibiotics, they use whatever the feed companies give them to help the pigs grow. But I have to admit the smell is not that bad at their farms but that is because they have people who their only jobs are to clean the pigs shit and pee as soon as it leave the ass. The shit is dried and bagged but even still the smell isn't pleasant. But this just shows the Thai pig farmers need to be more like the US Factory livestock business to be more efficient and therefore make more money. The philippines and Indonesia are already importing US pork at 50 baht a kilo.

Edited by gosompoi

I hope you aren't suggesting Thai pig farms don't smell. Heading south from BKK there is one town (sorry, name forgotten) notorious for the stench. On one occasion, in a closed air-con vehicle my wife and I were both gagging and both daughters vomiting in the back seat. Eau de Porcine at its finest.

• Like 1