Nsa Contractor Identifies Himself As Source

News_Editor

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snowden got a few job offers and his lawyer prepares visa for his family to visit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mMOKppdQw

If I had the leader of a country as my employment agent I'd be sitting pretty too.

I've been hearing for days Snowden can have a job at the Russian Facebook. There's probably less personal privacy there than there is at Zuckerberg's information Hoover, so Snowden should be right in his element, i.e., more information to be accessed, stolen.

Putin knows he has to keep Snowden on a short leash and under constant and close surveillance. There's no telling what Snowden will do next. The last thing Putin wants is Snowden working at Putin's NSA equivalent

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

I would take ANYthing you hear about Snowden, job offers, activities, his concerns and etc. coming from his Russian lawyer with a grain of salt. We hear what they want us to hear which apparently has little to do with reality when they have not even let him have direct communication with his father. The reasons here should be obvious. Putin will be very careful to control the flow of information and the lawyer is Putin's proxy.

• Like 2

The attorney general in Germany opened an investigation(paragraph 99 Penal code which covers "Agent activities at the expense of the Federal Republic of Germany") and eventually considers to have Snowden questioned and placed under witness protection in Germany.

Lets wait and see how that works out.

It looks like the first real serious action on extensive spying from Germany's own brand BND, America's NSA and others. To check the facts could take a while but eventually it will happen.

• Like 1

The hysterical part is that some would appear to believe that Putin, Kucherena, or anyone in Russian government gives two cents about Snowden as a person. Now that they have gotten want they wanted, they would all probably perfer to make him disappear and never be heard from again or send him back in a body bag to make sure their story remains THE official story.

Putin would perhaps detest and have more contempt for someone like Snowden than Bama or a clown like Lindsy Graham trying to boycott his big Olympic day. Hero! Putin would see Snowden as a traitor of the lowest form.

• Like 2

The attorney general in Germany opened an investigation(paragraph 99 Penal code which covers "Agent activities at the expense of the Federal Republic of Germany") and eventually considers to have Snowden questioned and placed under witness protection in Germany.

It looks like the first real serious action on extensive spying from Germany's own brand BND, America's NSA and others. To check the facts could take a while but eventually it will happen.

Haha, really think Putin gives any consideration to what Germany might think. Too funny. Right now, facts are as Putin says they are and conveyed by Kucherena. Putin will not allow any versions to come out any differently. Too much at stake now including Putin's own word.

Haha, really think Putin gives any consideration to what Germany might think. Too funny. Right now, facts are as Putin says they are and conveyed by Kucherena. Putin will not allow any versions to come out any differently. Too much at stake now including Putin's own word.

I think the timing is just perfect. With the temporary asylum for one year and after that has expired the attorney general from Germany is also ready to have finished it's investigations and start the trial(s).

Something that also would come in handy for Putin, since he will be hailed as the savior tongue.png

Former Pussy Riot lawyer Mark Feigin questioned whether Snowden would be safe in Russia. "Snowden doesn't fully understand that accepting asylum in Russia is about the same as agreeing to receive an inheritance from a lawyer in Nigeria by email," Feigin tweeted Thursday.

Boris Ratnikov, a former major-general of the Federal Guard Service, told the newspaper Izvestiya that the whistleblower remained in limbo. "If there was a firm decision to defend Snowden, they would have given him citizenship. One-year temporary asylum is 'he's neither ours nor yours'," he said.

A mid-July poll found that 51% of Russians approved of Snowden's whistleblowing activities and 43% supported granting him asylum in the country.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/02/edward-snowden-asylum-russia-reaction

Edited by F430murci

Snowden got a few job offers and his lawyer prepares visa for his family to visit him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mMOKppdQw

Haha, you really dont get Russia . . . yes the dude that started vk tweeted that he was offering Snowden a job, but problem is he is in hiding himself after Russian police raided his house and vk's offices.

------

Is Snowden likely to accept? Probably not. VK has come under pressure from the Russian government after Durov's refusal to block opposition groups from the site in 2011.

What pressure? The site was later "accidentally" black-listed by the Russian media regulator a move one analyst described as a warning to be "more compliant". And, since then, VK's offices and Durov's home have been raided by Russian police, Durov has disappeared into hiding, and a private equity firm with close ties to the Kremlin has bought a 48% stake in the company.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2013/aug/02/vk-russian-facebook-edward-snowden-nsa

• Like 1

More on How Kremlin deals with transparency and the likelihood of Snowden working at vk. This also shows how Putin deals with even minor annoyances, much less someone like Snowden.

I would dare say that Snowden will likely remain about as visible as vk founder for quiet a while due to reasons beyond their control. Snowden would probably rather face Bama now if given a choice which he no longer likely has.

-----

Durov had not been seen since early April, when he fled the country after investigators opened a case against him for allegedly running over the foot of a traffic policeman in a white Mercedes. There were rumors he was in Italy, or maybe Switzerland, though the U.S. was also a possibility. Wherever he was, he wasnt in his office, and with every day he stayed invisible, the future of the social network he built became more precarious.

It had been a tumultuous year for Durov and his company. Around the time he disappeared, two original VKontakte investors and longtime friends of Durovs sold their sharesworth 48 percent of the companyto an investment fund with reported ties to the ruling clique around President Vladimir Putin. Irina Levova, a senior analyst at the Russian Association of Electronic Communications, said the purchase of a stake in VKontakte resembled the standard Russian method of a legitimized raider attack with the help of the Investigative Committee and administrative pressure. It appeared the Kremlin might have launched the beginnings of a hostile takeover.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-01/is-pavel-durov-russias-zuckerberg-a-kremlin-target

More on How Kremlin deals with transparency and the likelihood of Snowden working at vk. This also shows how Putin deals with even minor annoyances, much less someone like Snowden.

I would dare say that Snowden will likely remain about as visible as vk founder for quiet a while due to reasons beyond their control. Snowden would probably rather face Bama now if given a choice which he no longer likely has.

-----

Durov had not been seen since early April, when he fled the country after investigators opened a case against him for allegedly running over the foot of a traffic policeman in a white Mercedes. There were rumors he was in Italy, or maybe Switzerland, though the U.S. was also a possibility. Wherever he was, he wasnt in his office, and with every day he stayed invisible, the future of the social network he built became more precarious.

It had been a tumultuous year for Durov and his company. Around the time he disappeared, two original VKontakte investors and longtime friends of Durovs sold their sharesworth 48 percent of the companyto an investment fund with reported ties to the ruling clique around President Vladimir Putin. Irina Levova, a senior analyst at the Russian Association of Electronic Communications, said the purchase of a stake in VKontakte resembled the standard Russian method of a legitimized raider attack with the help of the Investigative Committee and administrative pressure. It appeared the Kremlin might have launched the beginnings of a hostile takeover.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-01/is-pavel-durov-russias-zuckerberg-a-kremlin-target

The question remains of day to day, week to week life for Snowden.

He needs money to eat, or will the state deliver borsch and sausages to his apartment three times a day?

The state may provide him with free housing, or it may not - nothing's been said or reported.

I'd think Putin would want to put Snowden to some kind of work rather than have Snowden, with his strong tendency to devise wicked schemes, sitting around in some lower middle class apartment with nothing else to do. I'd think Snowden could work at VK given the changes occurring there which make the place more hospitable towards Putin and gang in the Kremlin.

There's also the Russian language problem which complicates Snowden's daily life and may make working anywhere unlikely unless Putin assigns a translator to Snowden full time.

There are a lot of considerations about daily life for Snowden in Russia we haven't heard anything about.

Snowden will be watched but with some acrobatics he could get himself across a border, say to Georgia or some such place, to continue on to another country friendly to him. Snowden may not like the way he's being handled in Russia - being American, he probably has plenty of objections to it already.

• Like 2

I agree, and it now fully explains the amount of energy spent by the us and allies to have assange prosecuted in sweden for bullshit charges. If assange is a player in the propaganda world, it explains everything.

I'm not sure though that snowden's collaboration with wikileaks was snowden's will, because he started to share his docs with uk journalists.

When he got ejected from hk and the us canceled his passport, wikileaks and its russian ties may have been his only way out.

Maybe assange played snowden into putin's hands deliberately.

It will be interesting to see how the story develops. My scenario of snowden getting a new russian identity and coming to live in thailand with us still holds smile.png

Everything you say makes excellent sense and provides a clear analysis of these bizarre developments.

I would just say, however - also with a certain smile - that if Thailand gave up Viktor Bout to the US despite heavy pressure from Putin to send Bout home to Putin instead, I doubt the former LOS would accept someone as hot to the touch as Snowden has become and will always be.

Putin has given Snowden a year in Russia, which will be more than enough time for Assange and Putin to get all they want to publish in Wikileaks. After that, Snowden will have to swim to Venezuela.

I mean, when was the last time - or the only time - Wikileaks published any expose' of the CCP-PRC or of Russia itself? Where's Wikileaks' expose' of al Qaeda, its operations, its leaders etc?

Instead Wikileaks gets info from U.S. sources and busts the most sensitive intelligence and counter terrorism operations of the United States which rightfully are conducted to defend the United States.

Meanwhile, the real bad guys in international espionage, cyber theft, outright spying or terrorism get away free, getting no exposure in either the press/media or in any other forum.

Well I won't be buying him a beer, that' s for sure.

You're buying beers?

Where are you now???

Down the Pub!

Cheers

• Like 1

Depressing, but accurate article for former intelligence officer that reveals how Russia has previously treated asylum seekers like Snowden.

-----

The pro-Snowden lobby should not be rejoicing after Thursdays news that the PRISM whistleblowers been allowed to move into Russia for 1 year.

Snowdens situation has been completely manipulated by Putin, in order to serve the presidents interests. The Russian premiers given Snowden a year of purgatory. Im not sure Snowden has the mental strength or means to survive what could lay ahead for him.

History has shown that Russia doesnt hero worship Westerners who flee to Moscow. . . .

Snowdens prospects are worse because hes not a top Russian spy like Philby. Instead, hes a nomadic snitch with a grudge. Putin formerly a colonel in the KGB will view him as such.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/08/02/can-snowden-survive-russia-and-putin/#ixzz2b0gM4Uog

Edited by F430murci

The pro-Snowden lobby should not be rejoicing

Actually they rightfully should be rejoicing & thankful

But not for the reasons you think.

Snowdens part is done, over, finished

Many are grateful for what he gave & will continue to give

by way of other channels that now have the info

even if his fate is as bad as you want to claim.

The truth is his part is done. The info is out & in more than one place as reported previously

It will hopefully all see the light of day.

He knew this position & worse was a possibility but was willing to take the steps to

get this out into the light & let the citizens do with it what they will or won't.

That is all there really is to it.

Some will continue to focus only on the messenger

but they completely miss the message.

Instead they downplay it with the usual...Well they all do it

or well the others do it worse than us yada,yada,yada

Bottom line is the citizens who may have always claimed they knew this was

"probably" happening now know it not only is happening but, more than they ever imagined.

It is now or soon to be completely up to them what kind of government they want.

Edited by mania

The pro-Snowden lobby should not be rejoicing

Actually they rightfully should be rejoicing & thankful

But not for the reasons you think.

Snowdens part is done, over, finished

Many are grateful for what he gave & will continue to give

by way of other channels that now have the info

even if his fate is as bad as you want to claim.

The truth is his part is done. The info is out & in more than one place as reported previously

It will hopefully all see the light of day.

He knew this position & worse was a possibility but was willing to take the steps to

get this out into the light & let the citizens do with it what they will or won't.

That is all there really is to it.

Some will continue to focus only on the messenger

but they completely miss the message.

Instead they downplay it with the usual...Well they all do it

or well the others do it worse than us yada,yada,yada

Bottom line is the citizens who may have always claimed they knew this was

"probably" happening now know it not only is happening but, more than they ever imagined.

It is now or soon to be completely up to them what kind of government they want.

Actually, the story was more about the personal tragedy of Snowden, but I realize some are only concerned about their own interests.

Nothing will change and anyone who becomes president will do anything within their power to not have another 911 on their watch. In effect, Snowden will have changed nothing except costing taxpayers millions to revamp security systems in place to address damage done by leaking information to those being spied on.

I guess I was wrong and Russia is letting Snowden communicate with the outside world.

-----

The deal is this: he wants me to help him get this fund out of those countries and keep it either a personal of companies account which you have absolute control over. Its a little hard to follow, but you get the point.

Moving millions of dollars that belongs to the most wanted man in the western world what could possibly go wrong with that?

http://www.thenation.com/blog/175584/edward-snowden-e-mailed-me-he-wants-my-help-getting-millions-out-hong-kong#axzz2b13nmax4

Edit: I let wife read article because it was funny and she said: "He is in Russia now. If he has money to move the Russians will happily be moving it for him."

Perhaps they will buy some more shares of that vk stock for him . . .

Edited by F430murci

I guess I was wrong and Russia is letting Snowden communicate with the outside world.

-----

The deal is this: he wants me to help him get this fund out of those countries and keep it either a personal of companies account which you have absolute control over. Its a little hard to follow, but you get the point.

Moving millions of dollars that belongs to the most wanted man in the western world what could possibly go wrong with that?

http://www.thenation.com/blog/175584/edward-snowden-e-mailed-me-he-wants-my-help-getting-millions-out-hong-kong#axzz2b13nmax4

Edit: I let wife read article because it was funny and she said: "He is in Russia now. If he has money to move the Russians will happily be moving it for him."

do you always fall prey to Nigerian scams? This is exactly what it is in the link provided.

-----

do you always fall prey to Nigerian scams? This is exactly what it is in the link provided.

It was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!! Duh!!!!! Hence me quoting to hilarious part of the article and me saying I let wife read because it was funny.

Edited by F430murci

I haven't been following this thread. Sorry if this is old news.

Snowden has left the airport and is living in the home of some American expats.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/01/us-usa-security-snowden-russia-idUSBRE9700N120130801

I wonder of these expats will be prosecuted in the US for giving shelter to a fugitive from US "law" enforcement.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/01/us-usa-security-snowden-russia-idUSBRE9700N120130801

I wonder of these expats will be prosecuted in the US for giving shelter to a fugitive from US "law" enforcement.

Haha, first one would have to assume that you believe what lawyer is saying.

It won't be too hard to verify.

It won't be too hard to verify.

Impossible to verify at this point unless you work for Putin as Snowden's lawyer does. Do you also believe he was in airport for 30+ days.

If things were as they seemed, Snowden's father would have spoken to his son, but even then Russia will tightly control everything said.

Read articles I posted and research how Snowden would be perceived by Putin and how Russia has treated much more honorable, in Putin's eyes, defectors in the past.

Snowden is, and has been, tightly segregated from anyone and everyone and if he is with American expats, it would be under very confined conditions that may make a US jail look like a vacation.

Edited by F430murci

-----

He needs money to eat, or will the state deliver borsch and sausages to his apartment three times a day?

The state may provide him with free housing, or it may not - nothing's been said or reported.

I'd think Putin would want to put Snowden to some kind of work rather than have Snowden, with his strong tendency to devise wicked schemes, sitting around in some lower middle class apartment with nothing else to do. I'd think Snowden could work at VK given the changes occurring there which make the place more hospitable towards Putin and gang in the Kremlin.

There's also the Russian language problem which complicates Snowden's daily life and may make working anywhere unlikely unless Putin assigns a translator to Snowden full time.

There are a lot of considerations about daily life for Snowden in Russia we haven't heard anything about.

Snowden will be watched but with some acrobatics he could get himself across a border, say to Georgia or some such place, to continue on to another country friendly to him. Snowden may not like the way he's being handled in Russia - being American, he probably has plenty of objections to it already.

Georgia is very pro-American so it wouldn't be a good idea to try and sneak out through there. Well, at least they were very pro-American during the previous US administration.

-----

Georgia is very pro-American so it wouldn't be a good idea to try and sneak out through there. Well, at least they were very pro-American during the previous US administration.

Yes, Georgia remains in excellent relations with the United States.

To be clear, I mean Snowden could pass clandestinely through Georgia to get to a country with a friendly government that isn't Putin's government and isn't Russia.

I mean, the best thing to do if you find yourself in Russia is to get out. I've never been to Russia and with good reason.

I mean, the best thing to do if you find yourself in Russia is to get out. I've never been to Russia and with good reason.

Well, you have no knowledge but make statements none the less.

I have been to Russia, and I don't share F430murci's opinions about seclusion and controlled communications.

Russia's FSB doesn't have the same means at their disposal as the US.

If Snowden wanted to communicate, he could do so and he could probably also keep his communications' content a secret if he wanted. Moscow is full of wifi places.

US House votes to continue NSA's phone surveillance

"Have we forgot what happened on September 11?

Mike Rogers

House intelligence committee chairman

"Divided opinion in the US about the snooping was highlighted by a CBS News poll on Wednesday.

The survey found that 67% of Americans opposed the government's collection of phone records, but 52% said it was necessary to counter terrorism."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23445231

In this day of electronic communications ( that the powers that be are so keen to monitor ) they could have easily had a kind of referendum using the internet to vote on something so important as this . To leave this kind of decision soley to a handful of so called elected “representatives “is a farce.

Washington hasn't ever conducted an official vote on anything via the internet and for good reasons, such as abuse, security of the process, validity of the outcome, massive logistics, a tremendous expense and for many other valid reasons.

Besides, the House and the Senate each have established an Intelligence Committee which no one in Congress is complaining about, nor expressing fear about. huh.png Our elected representatives in both Chambers of the Congress represent the vast center-middle point of view of the body politic, to include my own point of view in the matter.

Only a handful of Americans see a bogeyman in this.

“ the House and the Senate each have established an Intelligence Committee which no one in Congress is complaining about, nor expressing fear about.

You seem to be wrong on this because legislators have been experiencing in gaining details about NSA surveillance programs.

“We keep hearing that there’s all kinds of robust oversight by Congress, and need not worry,” Greenwald continued, but alleged that the lawmakers who have contacted him “have said that they’re being forced to learn about what the NSA is doing from what they learn about in our reporting.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unj_72Gqj9w&feature=player_detailpage

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

I should expect they would be, yes.

I don't know the laws specifically and I'm not a lawyer, but I'd have high confidence the US expats in Russia would be subject to prosecution in the US for harboring an accused felon who, moreover, is a fugitive from US justice.

I should think the US could rightfully demand immediate extradition of the expat(s) from Russia. The expats very probably are safe for now because there's no extradition treaty between the US and Russia.

I should think also the US would have no legal problem revoking the expats' passports for harboring a fugitive from US justice.

I wouldn't accept in my expat home anyone I knew to be wanted in the United States on any charge, much less a felony charge and in this instance charges of violating the Espionage Act. No way.

I'm sure the expat or expats are presently in legal jeopardy in the United States - serious legal jeopardy.