Bts Stops For A Little Rain

roiethome

What a cock up last night, a small rainstorm and all trains to Bearing cancelled at 11-30 Monday night.

When will Thailand realise that to run a quality service on BTS, Swampy or Thai airways, they need an experienced Farang running the show. Thailand cannot exist without Farangs in responsible positions for at least the next twenty years.

I can only assume that the cancellation of service was due to some equipment failure, maybe due to lightning? Obviously if the signalling system got knocked out, or safety was otherwise compromised, the prudent thing to do would be to curtail service until the problems could be rectified. As service terminates at/near midnight daily, maybe the best/safest option was to cancel all remaining service?

I'm from Boston, MA (U.S.) where our "T" (MBTA), with (presumably) experienced farangs "running the show", circa 1897, pales in comparison to the BTS, MRT, SARL. But continue to vent.

• Like 1

There are farangs working for BTS - I even knew a guy in charge of finances who did but he left recently for another company and completely different industry. In fact, every major Thai company employs farangs in some capacity. Why is it that efficiency hasn't improved yet, though? Well perhaps because these farangs are not the bosses and their bosses are very much in control of what their employees say and do. Needless to say, these farangs are pretty much like their Thai counterparts - they don't speak out when they should because they fear they will be sacked. This very comment was made to me last week by a guy who works for SRT in some capacity where one of his co-workers (from Britain or somewhere) was forced by his Thai boss to "shut up or get fired".

So there's your answer.

I can only assume that the cancellation of service was due to some equipment failure, maybe due to lightning? Obviously if the signalling system got knocked out, or safety was otherwise compromised, the prudent thing to do would be to curtail service until the problems could be rectified. As service terminates at/near midnight daily, maybe the best/safest option was to cancel all remaining service?

I'm from Boston, MA (U.S.) where our "T" (MBTA), with (presumably) experienced farangs "running the show", circa 1897, pales in comparison to the BTS, MRT, SARL. But continue to vent.

Yes, there was some pretty scary lightning in Bangkok last night around that time. However, lightning strikes in Bangkok occur near daily between late April/May and at least the middle of the rainy season so they should be experienced in handling these kinds of events. It is possible that lightning hit some equipment which caused the outage though, I can see that.

Brilliant! Farangs will ensure the safe running for the next 20 years, however, UK (are they considered to be farang?) stop their trains for "the wrong type of snow" or "leaves on the line". Yep, Thailand has so much to be thankful for because of us foreigners.