Want the truth about Thailand? Look abroad

webfact

I think, from what I know, that HM King is a pretty down to earth nice man. I think he would not mind criticism if it were intelligent.

There may be people around him who wish the Lese Majeste law to firmly remain as they benefit from it.

The Lese Majeste law does not cover the Privy Council. Valid criticism of the Privy Council should therefore be allowed.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pasting these messages where?

One would assume newsgroups, forums etc where news and the monarchy is discussed as well as Facebook and Youtube.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And where exactly would these websites be on the web, in Thailand where people actively discuss the monarchy?  They are all largely blocked.  I have a feeling that these guys have been talking to themselves.  Do you really believe that they spam sites discussing royalty, 13000 times a day?  

I believe they could be. Any comment will do. 555 ? !

That sort of thing takes a second and gets the count up.

Truth be told I did a similar thing years ago working in digital cartography. Performance pay was partly related to the number of 'data edits' we did. A few of us soon cottoned at doing an edit that was quick but basically worthless that still counted towards performance.

My guess is that these guys are doing alot of the same. Making worthless, quick comments on a website so that at the end of the day they can say 'look sarge I did 3465 today!'

For once I'm with the red shirts.

The red shirts are to some extent anti-Lese Majeste and anti-monarchist, but the question is: what proportion of them are anti-monarchist only because of their support for Thaksin who funds them?

Yes.

It's the red shirt leaders that are against the Lese Majeste law. The vast majority of Thais (including red shirt foot soldiers) love their king and have no issue with the law.

Most of the big shots in the PTP party couldn't give a hoot about that law as long as it doesn't prevent them from getting their rake-offs.

• Like 1

I usually think of The Nation as worthy only of use as perhaps a bird cage liner. However, they have shown rare boldness with this article. Credit where it is due.

Yes. a somewhat bold move from the Nation which is generally loathe to go anywhere near the subject. Especially as 'Da Torpedo' has just had her appeal against her conviction for 'lese majeste' turned down.

• Like 1

Has anyone done the maths? Let's accept the following statement at face value:

"...The unit, based in Narathiwat province, stated on its website that it has posted 1.69 million messages in the four-month period between June and September last year. That's an average of 13,927 postings per day."

Round up that figure to 14,000 per day. Now, 24 hours multiplied by 60 (minutes) and multiplied again by 60 (seconds) provides how many seconds in a day. In turn, divide that figure (86,400) by the 14,000 messages per day. What's that? A little over 6 SECONDS FOR EACH MESSAGE.

Um... ya. That's an Internet Bot at work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot Probably sending out the same message to whomever is eligible to receive.

Just sayin'...

Edited by overdog

I usually think of The Nation as worthy only of use as perhaps a bird cage liner. However, they have shown rare boldness with this article. Credit where it is due.

Yes. a somewhat bold move from the Nation which is generally loathe to go anywhere near the subject. Especially as 'Da Torpedo' has just had her appeal against her conviction for 'lese majeste' turned down.

They also ran a very short article about Da Torpedo as well.

Brave woman and I wish her luck.

The judge commented on her appeal case, rather ironically I think, that, "you have shown a bad example to the people".

• Like 1

The unit, based in Narathiwat province, stated on its website that it

has posted 1.69 million messages in the four-month period between June

and September last year.

I'm sorry?? There is an army unit whose job is to post thousands of messages daily in praise of HM King?

At first I thought that this story was from 'Not The Nation'

Although I'm treading on delicate ground with my comments, it should be noted that HM King has personally stated that He is not above criticism. Clearly, the vast majority of Thais (and many foreigners, including myself), love HM King.

A democracy allows others to dissent.

Anyway, this is a difficult subject to discuss, but I think it is ludicrous to employ army personal to post pro-monarchy messages all day.

Simon

The CIA has similar units. So does the PLA, Mossad, FSB . . . etc.

And the (ahem) NSA

• Like 1

"There's something wrong with a society where foreigners are at greater liberty to talk about the problems of that society than locals, where debates and arguments on virtual reality tells us more about the truth of that society."

Very true, time that Thai people realise this. Time for courageous citizens to speak up. Sadly a very rare species in the Land of Cowards.

Yes, well done Edward Snowden

and September last year.

I'm sorry?? There is an army unit whose job is to post thousands of messages daily in praise of HM King?

Although I'm treading on delicate ground with my comments, it should be noted that HM King has personally stated that He is not above criticism. Clearly, the vast majority of Thais (and many foreigners, including myself), love HM King.

Anyway, this is a difficult subject to discuss, but I think it is ludicrous to employ army personal to post pro-monarchy messages all day.

Simon

And government administrations, political organizations, big corporations, lobbyists, etc. Social media is the new battleground where groups can craft dialog that sways public opinion . I would wager that we've had a few here on TV.

hanuman2543

But that a foreigner will make a change in Thai politic belongs to the fairytale section.

Do you have any idea of the role that the CIA have been playing; at a very very high level; in the politics of this country for the last 60 or so years?

I think the last foreigner to make a change in Thai politics was Anna Leonowens and I'm not sure we're even allowed to talk about her !
  • Like 1

Has anyone done the maths? Let's accept the following statement at face value:

"...The unit, based in Narathiwat province, stated on its website that it has posted 1.69 million messages in the four-month period between June and September last year. That's an average of 13,927 postings per day."

Round up that figure to 14,000 per day. Now, 24 hours multiplied by 60 (minutes) and multiplied again by 60 (seconds) provides how many seconds in a day. In turn, divide that figure (86,400) by the 14,000 messages per day. What's that? A little over 6 SECONDS FOR EACH MESSAGE.

Um... ya. That's an Internet Bot at work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot Probably sending out the same message to whomever is eligible to receive.

Just sayin'...

Do you think this "unit" only consists of one person?

I think people should keep their criticisms to politics. Part of the whole Thailand experience is imbedded with the KINGDOM. And I would take a personal offence if someone big or small, would vocalize criticisms about his Majesty in my presence. Like defending my own Father, and a rare and beautiful rainbow in this dark world of tension and negative energy.

I think people should keep their criticisms to politics. Part of the whole Thailand experience is imbedded with the KINGDOM. And I would take a personal offence if someone big or small, would vocalize criticisms about his Majesty in my presence. Like defending my own Father, and a rare and beautiful rainbow in this dark world of tension and negative energy.

Have never heard anyone say anything derogatory about this issue in 17 years. In fact I have barely heard anyone say anything privately at all.

Well done, Simon43, I doubt there will be many replies to this topic for the obvious reason, but it is a classic example of an internal reluctance to rock the establishment boat even when with the increased used of the internet and social media the 'sheeple' can gain more from overseas that they ever could at home. As for a 'cyber unit' sending out 13,00+ messages a day on ANY subject - words fail me!

They should join TV. only chance we may have of out blethering someone.

This country is not interested in foreigners', especially westerner's, opinions. They are at the very least inconvenient, usually annoying and mostly offensive to them.

What do you expect from a country where the average IQ is so low and the degree of arrogance by those towards the top of the feeding chain so high?

Nothing to do with IQ.

It has to do with the nationalist cant and complete and utter obedience requirement they are bottlefed from birth.

To be fair, this is nothing unique to Thailand.

The Thai that I know that have been outside the country and/or educated themselves have a much different view of affairs. I have said this before. They are frustrated with how messed up the political situation is. They usually profess love for HM the King, but nothing fanatical.

I know one person who is a Red Shirt and is very anti-monarchist. A very nice man, very generous, not from Isaan or poor, but when he gets pissed and starts his political rants it gets old fast. His friends get upset with his anti-monarchist crap and his fierce red shirt stance. Mostly because he does not consider other people's opinions to be valid.

To him, you are either yellow or red. There is no alternative. It has scared away a lot of his friends. We have explained to him that this is not right.

The point is, no one has reported him for his statements.

and September last year.

Simon

The Army swears to defend the King first and then the Country so, as far as they are concerned, they are doing their duty to King and Country. I make no judgments; just stating fact.

and September last year.

Simon

As does Dr. Thaksin for getting his views out there.

I agree. As a foreign visitor, I find the LM laws do not hinder my enjoyment of the Kingdom one iota.

I agree. As a foreign visitor, I find the LM laws do not hinder my enjoyment of the Kingdom one iota.

It is a shame that Joe Gordon, Abdulrosa Jehngoh, Chipley Putra Jehngoh, Andrew MacGregor Marshall (former Reuters journo), Lech Tomasz Kisielwicz, Oliver Jufer, Jonathan Head (BBC journo) and Harry Nicolaides, among others, cannot agree with you.

Edited by FarangTalk
  • Like 2

I think people should keep their criticisms to politics. Part of the whole Thailand experience is imbedded with the KINGDOM. And I would take a personal offence if someone big or small, would vocalize criticisms about his Majesty in my presence. Like defending my own Father, and a rare and beautiful rainbow in this dark world of tension and negative energy.

There is such a thing as constructive criticism, something I have heard from some of my Thai friends on sensitive subjects. Even His Majesty has said he should not be above it.

• Like 1

There is such a thing as constructive criticism, something I have heard from some of my Thai friends on sensitive subjects. Even His Majesty has said he should not be above it.

If the Monarchy accepts criticism, should we ask why the Monarchy do not swiftly pardon Lese Majeste convicts who have simply voiced non-defamatory critical opinion or even just re-spoken/quoted, paraphrased or translated others' statements so that they do not have to suffer a single day in prison?

I'd wish I could give an honest opinion of that on TV but I think this topic would have a very short life if it were discussed.

• Like 1