Phuket tipped as venue for Thailand's first Formula One race in 2015

webfact

fantastic, the first off road, dirt track formula 1 race, can you imagine the Thai's getting a formula 1 track up to scratch, will the pit stop just be a couple of bricks behind the wheels, the tires will be specials from supercheap, the helmets from Big C, hope they bring there own fuel, ours is full of water, a thai policemen pulling the formula 1 cars over to check there licence, i can hear martin Bundle saying "i can hardly believe my eyes, but it looks as though a tuk tuk is on the track, being chased by a motorcycle with a greasy spoon attached, with a BBQ at the back dropping hot coals", no martin your eyes are not deceiving you!!!!!"AMAZING THAILAND"whistling.gif

go to samui, there is a ring road already ;)

There is a racing circuit already being built in Burriram which is said to be able to accommodate the F1.

I have seen this with my own eyes and according to the owner he states the Grand Prix will be held there.

Lets wait and see

No ones mentioned the fact that they seem to have passed a specific law to ban holding a car race in Bangkok, how bizarre!

Personally I can't wait, a Thai F1 race would be a real eye opener.blink.png

I can see the chaos when there's an accident and no one knows what to do, because foreigners were not permitted to come in a train Thai's what to do, what flags to wave and when.

This will be hysterical... but it will NEVER happen and if by some miracle it does I will eat the mother in laws straw hat.cheesy.gif

I hope they are joking.

Isn't there enough mafia activities there without creating more opportunities for scams.

That has to be the worst decision made in Thailand.

There's so much written and said about this place regarding scams etc and now they're going to have thousands more going to Phuket for F1.

Phuket will run out of scammers. They'll have to get them in from Bangkok and Pattaya.

Brilliant, I always wanted to see a Grand Prix and now it will happen on my doorstep. Yahoooo.

Sorry to spoil your day or should I say your dreams. It will never happen

"Bangkok Municipal Administration..........issued a law banning car racing...........etc"

- well blow me down, I wonder which Municipal Administration felt left out of the Trough negotiations......?

they lack accommodation and facilities to house hundreds of people during the Grand Prix

complete utter bullshit many hotels and resorts around and inside the towns

you must be delusional. name 1 world class resort or hotel in KK

Why do hotels have to be world class for F1. For those that sit on the pratt perch, yes they expect a high standared of accommodation but for the rest of the pitlane 4 star hotels are acceptable.

if this is all a publicity stunt trying to get the worlds attention, i wonder if thailand losing face and or credibility because they couldnt get their act together outweighs the "free" publicity

news from Holland is that Thailand cancelled the whole thing already not a word about different location

Brilliant, I always wanted to see a Grand Prix and now it will happen on my doorstep. Yahoooo.

love to see one again ,last time was when i was 15 or so at "Zandvoort Holland"

but staying in Phuket is the only downside of the event , but hey ,can't get it all perfect tongue.pngbiggrin.png

How can you talk like that did you not read what Somsak said

"Phuket should be an ideal venue which meets our target to promote tourism," Somsak said."

Phuket is what they want to hold up tio the world as an example of tourism in Thailand.

Under ground rumors of cheap flights to Pattaya for a change of women and jet ski's.

Just a rumor

I think Phuket can handle it better than Monaco, and the Monaco race is a great one.

Whether the planning aspect can be better is a blatant no, but there is easily enough

facilities hotels etc, and locations with adequate track choices to do it there.

Main issue is how to close off the tracks and prevent the usual 'thai lack of

concern beyond the moment' to cause fools to wander onto the track mid race.

But it can be done, and F1 will not give an OK if it doesn't meet F1 specs.

And no government can pay them off and buy cheapness,

not at the speeds these cars go at.

'

Edited by animatic

Monaco is the most boring race of the season :)

I agree that Phuket would have lots of infrastructure to hold an F1 event. Enough space to make it happen as well.

But I do not believe it will happen in next 10 years.

Can anyone suggest a suitable street circuit here in Phuket? One without too many hills and roads that are surfaced properly with sufficient open space to accommodate spectators, cars, a pit lane and that is sufficiently accessible for the "hundreds" of spectators?

Bypass road?

they lack accommodation and facilities to house hundreds of people during the Grand Prix

what the duck are talking about .... if you took your head out of your are and looked about .... you would see that korat has lot of first class hotels ......whistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

what the duck are talking about .... if you took your head out of your are and looked about .... you would see that korat has lot of first class hotels ......whistling.gifwhistling.gif

cannot agree more but the responsive poster was talking about Khon Khaen

Can anyone suggest a suitable street circuit here in Phuket? One without too many hills and roads that are surfaced properly with sufficient open space to accommodate spectators, cars, a pit lane and that is sufficiently accessible for the "hundreds" of spectators?

No.

• Like 1

Can't access the sarcasm face, but does anyone actually think that Phuket with all it's problems is capable of mounting a successful race, LOL.

They only have to say the race was "successful" in the media. It doesn't have to actually be "successful."

This how Phuket, and Thailand in general, deals with all of it's failures. :) :) :) :)

• Like 2

Only reason its illegal to have a racing event in Bangkok is because the government doesnt want to have to ACTUALLY spend money fixing up all the potholes and resurfacing on all the potential roads that could be used as the street track. That would be the equivalent of what...oh a new shopping mall!!! or some other worthless venture.

• Like 1

fantastic, the first off road, dirt track formula 1 race, can you imagine the Thai's getting a formula 1 track up to scratch, will the pit stop just be a couple of bricks behind the wheels, the tires will be specials from supercheap, the helmets from Big C, hope they bring there own fuel, ours is full of water, a thai policemen pulling the formula 1 cars over to check there licence, i can hear martin Bundle saying "i can hardly believe my eyes, but it looks as though a tuk tuk is on the track, being chased by a motorcycle with a greasy spoon attached, with a BBQ at the back dropping hot coals", no martin your eyes are not deceiving you!!!!!"AMAZING THAILAND"whistling.gif

RedBull already has the experience.