Thailand disqualified for World Expo 2020

webfact

They would have been disqualified for failure to adequately respond to detailed questions from the Expo organisers. The Thai government in some disarray re organising anything other than making announcements and singing about being a hub. It has to be restated disqualified, not withdrawn.

Wonder if corruption was a factor in being disqualified.....

If it was corruption that ruled out the Thailand bid then they beat off some serious competition in Russia and Brazil !

My thoughts as well :)

It was the previous Government on the 24th August 2010 who announced Thailand would run for it and Ayutthaya would be the nominated city. Not sure if that's the reason, but the article implies the current Government never seemed overly bothered about it.

Cant see them or anyone else losing much sleep over this.

Perhaps it was washed away by the floods...

Ouch that has got to hurt. Not so much a loss of face but more like being hit fairly in the face with the back of a shovel.

Those clowns don't even know it. They are not smart enough to figure that out.

"disqualified Thailand, amid concerns that the bid did not have sufficient support from the government."

Well they sure got that right. Surprised only one red shirt defender and he/she not really trying at that.

Probably the only red shirt smart enough to know they had just got hit in the face with a shovel.

The whole world knows now that Thailand's government is only half hearted in attracting people in for things other than beaches and evening entertainment mostly for men.

A worlds fair is a no no they are trying to build more resorts.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

the rest of the world know thailand are incapable of REAL investment in anything,,,,,thats a benefit,for anyone but themselves,the ones with the real power,

Hater to disagree with you but they have an incredible amount of ability in investing in unsellable rice.

Not good investing but investing never the less.

I may be wrong but I thought I saw where Pattaya was going to host the F1.

Make that Phuket for the formula 1

Edited by hellodolly

Right, and Russia, and Turkey are world leaders in integrity.

The reality is that it was all about money and how much organizers were willing to lavish on a useless event that delivers no long term benefits to a developing country. Let the Russians or the Gulf States have the event. They can spend their petro money in an a futile attempt to purchase respectability.

At least they are trying to get respectability.

• Like 1

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/connecting-minds-creating-future-504765.html

Looks like projecting respectability to make money to me.

'More than 1,200 years ago, while Europe was in its Dark Ages, the Muslim world was ruled by a dynasty of Islamic leaders who embraced free thought and creativity from all corners of the globe.'

Edited by SinglePot

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/connecting-minds-creating-future-504765.html

Looks like projecting respectability to make money to me.

'More than 1,200 years ago, while Europe was in its Dark Ages, the Muslim world was ruled by a dynasty of Islamic leaders who embraced free thought and creativity from all corners of the globe.'

They should have kept practicing that. Remember they gave it up and cut the heads off of trade emissaries from Mongolia. They paid a price for that. To bad they didn't go back to there peace loving ways.

Wouldn't the world be a much nicer place to live in if they would go back to those ways.

there of course would be dissenters but that happens all across the spectrum.

• Like 1

If it was corruption that ruled out the Thailand bid then they beat off some serious competition in Russia and Brazil !

According to Transparency International, Brazil is significantly less corrupt than Thailand. Russia, on the other hand...

Thailand will continue to fail because they believe they are in the same league as the rest of the countries of the world. They are reaching far beyond what they are capable. Thais don't get it, most other countries understand what they are.

I think they believe they are better. In the face of anything that indicates otherwise, they resort to some quasi-Buddhist nonsense about not getting caught up in the race to be number one.

• Like 1

Bridges collapsing, mammoth floods, elephants killing tourists, drunk teenagers throwing stones at cars on the highways, near non-existent public transport, crumbling monuments patched up with dollops of concrete by Somchai, yup, Ayuthaya had everything going for it as a candidate city. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Bridges collapsing, mammoth floods, elephants killing tourists, drunk teenagers throwing stones at cars on the highways, near non-existent public transport, crumbling monuments patched up with dollops of concrete by Somchai, yup, Ayuthaya had everything going for it as a candidate city. rolleyes.gif

And we thought everything was going well. sad.png

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Thailand will continue to fail because they believe they are in the same league as the rest of the countries of the world. They are reaching far beyond what they are capable. Thais don't get it, most other countries understand what they are.

I think they believe they are better. In the face of anything that indicates otherwise, they resort to some quasi-Buddhist nonsense about not getting caught up in the race to be number one.

They are definatly not winning the race to be number 1 in worth while projects.

Now if you want to talk about buying and storing unsalable rice, well that is another story.

They are definatly not winning the race to be number 1 in worth while projects.

Now if you want to talk about buying and storing unsalable rice, well that is another story.

Maybe that is why they got Disqualified. They tried the barter system, rotting over priced rice for the expo.
  • Like 1

The expo is cancelled and shortly we will hear the end of F1 talk in Thailand.

Boy you got that right.

As an ardent F1 fan, i beg, please do not let Thailand "monkey around" with it, and least of all not the dis- functional Phuket wai2.gif

Good! A thirty billion investment of our hard earned taxes would have translated to a real investment of around 10-20 billion anyway. The rest would have gone to the pockets of certain PTP members and their cronies.

Yes... I was having the same impression.... But what does the Govt not understand - Investment for long term businesses and a boost to Tourism or simply stick to their old ways of zocking through the police and immigration from the expats! Well...they are dwindling....Chinese do not pay they copy and integrate.. and the Govt thinks they make money! Well Good luck time Thailand has a good advisor who can show his face and stand up to his or her claims! - Amazing Thailand...miss it all!