Thai govt 'not keen' on World Expo bid

webfact

Govt 'not keen' on World Expo bid
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The government did not show any interest in pursuing the bid to host World Expo 2020, said Kriengkrai Kanjanapokin, co-chief executive officer of Index Creative Village, speaking about Thailand's removal from the candidate list.

He said there had been signs since January this year that the government was ignoring this project. During a visit of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) enquiry mission team to Ayutthaya to check the country's readiness, the government had expressed an ''ignorance'' about the bidding to them.

The team met Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and also Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi and Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul.

''After they met the prime minister, the BIE officials said she did not say anything about the project. Neither did the two [ministers],'' he said.

Following their return, the BIE sent two letters to the government to ask about its commitment to the bidding, but there was no response from the Thai side. Then, it sent a third letter to inform the government that it had removed Thailand from the candidate list, Kriengkrai revealed.

Currently, four candidates are in contention - Brazil, Dubai, Russia and Turkey.

Kriengkrai said it is sad that Thailand had missed a big opportunity to show off its potential on the global stage. There are also doubts raised by the private sector about the government's thinking and why it has ruined this opportunity unreasonably.

The Thailand Convention Exhibition Bureau played a supporting role in this bidding and spent Bt400 million on preparations.

Brainstorming

"We [the company] invited professionals from different fields such as academic, creative and advertising to brainstorm and find out ideas, without paying them. They were willing to do so," he said.

Also, A Com from the US, an event organiser of the Olympic Games, was hired to study the feasibility of the project. He said his company had a role in helping coordinate them since the beginning.

Initially, the study found an investment of Bt30 billion was required for infrastructure such as transport, public utility and buying land near Bangsai Arts and Craft Center. The total land to be used was projected at 1,500 rai.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-14

I think I'm right in saying a lot of money was spent on feasibility etc. so at what point did the government decide they weren't interested and perhaps have stopped the waste or is that too simple ?

Correct. I noticed that the other day in the first reports on this topic to where several tens of millions of Baht (cannot be stuffed going back to look for exact amount - will leave that for the 'this wonderful Pheu thai government' ass lickers to do in dispute) had gone to "public awareness." So several tens of millions of Baht are grafted off to where? for an event that the government had no interest in?

LoS - Land of Scams

LoS - Land of Smoke & mirrors

Hub Thailand - Hub of corruption and incompentance.

Amazing Thailand - only amazement is that this level of incompetance and corruption just carries on bigger and brighter with no check in sight.

Edited by Roadman

The Thailand Convention Exhibition Bureau played a supporting role in this bidding and spent Bt400 million on preparations.

Are you serious!????! Glad to see that everyone in Thailand is so rich that it can afford to waste so much taxpayer money.

I could have achieved the same result for 10th of that! whistling.gif

• Like 1

I can understand the government having been unenthusiastic, the idea having been not-invented-in-Dubai, and the B400-million having been milked spent on preparation. wink.png

But wouldn't it have been more-businesslike (or even merely-polite) to have answered one of BIE's two letters, or even to have given them the change-of-decision, while the PM & Ministers were meeting them face-to-face in January ?

I suspect that this was a natural Thai reluctance to give negative news, better to let it die a natural death, and hope that there was no loss-of-face when it finally happened. Oopsie ! whistling.gif

I can understand the government having been unenthusiastic, the idea having been not-invented-in-Dubai, and the B400-million having been milked spent on preparation. wink.png

But wouldn't it have been more-businesslike (or even merely-polite) to have answered one of BIE's two letters, or even to have given them the change-of-decision, while the PM & Ministers were meeting them face-to-face in January ?

I suspect that this was a natural Thai reluctance to give negative news, better to let it die a natural death, and hope that there was no loss-of-face when it finally happened. Oopsie ! whistling.gif

Quite correct. The respectful thing to do would have been to just tell them that Thailand did not wish to proceed. More loss of face to be told you have been disqualified I would have thought.

I think I'm right in saying a lot of money was spent on feasibility etc. so at what point did the government decide they weren't interested and perhaps have stopped the waste or is that too simple ?

The Government decided they were not interested the minute they were elected.

I think. they might not have known about it. They were more inte4rested in getting elected than they were about Thailand

I believe they made a mistake in the head line. (whats new)

It should have read

Thaksin not keen' on World Expo bid
  • Like 1