Former male nurse confesses to at least 20 hotel room abortions

webfact

Former male nurse confesses to at least 20 hotel room abortions
Phuket Gazette

mn.jpg
Prapak Thiparat, 67, confessed to performing more than 20 illegal abortions over the past two years. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Police in Krabi province, across the bay from Phuket, raided a hotel room where they arrested a former nurse who was just about to perform an illegal abortion.

Officers raided the small hotel in Ao Luek at about 12:30pm yesterday, finding Prapak Thiparat preparing to perform an abortion.

The woman had already been prepared by Mr Prapak to undergo the procedure. Her male companion was standing beside her.

“I have been performing illegal abortions for over two years,” Mr Prapak told the press assembled at Ao Luek Police Station.

Mr Prapak admitted to having preformed over 20 abortions in that time.

“When police entered the hotel room, they found Mr Prapak in possession of 26 syringes of varying sizes, three used syringes, a jar of Vaseline, 11 vials of liquid antibiotics, five bags of antibiotic tablets and other equipment used for performing abortions,” said Ao Luek Police Deputy Superintendent Sukkasem Nakornwilai.

Mr Prapak, 67, told the press that he had worked as a male nurse at a hospital in Nakhon Sri Thammarat for many years.

“I have seen doctors perform curettage and sterilization as common practice. After I retired, I came back to Krabi and I used the knowledge I had gained to perform abortions,” he said.

Mr Prapak explained that he performed many of the abortions in hotel rooms or at guesthouses.

“People learned about my service through word of mouth. I do not have a clinic,” he said.

“I charged 1,500 baht per month of the fetus’s gestational age. In the abortion I was about to conduct before I was arrested, the fetus was four months old, so I charged them 6,000 baht,” Mr Prapak said.

Col Sukkasem explained that Mr Prapak had been charged with illegally operating a medical center, dispensing medication without a license and attempting to perform an abortion.

“The suspect accepted all charges,” he added.

“At this stage, we can only charge him with attempting to perform an abortion. We are still investigating the other abortions he confessed to,” Col Sukkasem said.

Police questioned the couple.

“They said they were not ready to have the baby, so they decided to have an abortion. However, they were both released as they have not broken any laws,” Col Sukkasem said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Former-male-nurse-confesses-to-at-least-20-hotel-room-abortions-21326.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-14

Well; what is one supposed to do in these days and times? Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I still think abortion should be legalized, but the government (besides providing safe abortions) should make the people pay back a low interest loan. Just getting pregnant out of being irresponsible isn't a good enough excuse. It's like breaking something and refusing to pay for it, but expecting everyone else to clean up your mess because you have "rights".

Enforce proper healthcare for women who wish for an abortion. Make them pay it back on a low interest, affordable payment plan; ...or... send them to a work camp; and daddy too, until it is paid off. There's a lot of litter to be collected.

Making the means accessible and affordable, but not making people responsible and accountable for their mistakes are the two primary wrongs I see here which are not being engaged in. There's simply too much dicking around with these Thais on any subject that involves public safety and health; moreover the responsibility and accountability towards both parties that goes hand in hand with these two issues.

That's my opinion on that.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 2

What a hypocrisy. The country is full of brothels, beer bars and all so called religious politicians are making money on the back of hardworking female workers. But although we had brothel owners as minister of commerce (Abhisit govt) abortion is not allowed. Grow up, hospitals should give the authorities the finger and simply perform abortions. Females have the right to decide what is best for them. hey do not need dirty old men who never closed their zippers when passing a brothel lecturing them about morality.

Obviously, any procedure that saves lives should be legalized. Convenience abortions need be counseled thoroughly. I shudder to think that women would rather go through an abortion (especially with this scrappy looking fellow) than take preventative measures. Ninety Nine percent effective is darn good.If both partners utilize birth control measures, abortion would hopefully be a rarity. Personally, I would prefer that "morning after" pills be researched even more effectively. Perhaps it would be equally feasible (if not already in development) for a man to take a "morning before" pill. Temporary tube tyings would be great (should the individual elect to do so) for those who do not desire to have children, or are already satisfied with the screaming, curtain climbers they already have. I hope, for everyone, that if an abortion is neccessary, that it would be done as early on as practical. That should just make sense.Thank goodness that I am not a lady, and need to make this decision alone.

Thailand , Land of Contradiction, Such hypocracy exists within the culture of this country. Some months ago my friend had a dog which had to be put down for medical and humane reasons. Try as we may we could not find a vet that was prepared to do this and were told that life is precious within Thai culture and we should take the animal and leave it at a temple.

Does not sound humane to me. However , it appears that a medical layman feels impowered to offer such service and has no problem getting customers. Yes, life is precious in deed.

did he also do abortions afther the 4th month ?

still big taboo here, why ?

biggest open hooker market of the world, greed stealing tax payers money in all kind of schemes, local lowlifes openly working together with police to ripp off tourists (jetski, tuk tuk) ... robberies, murders

Police questioned the couple.

“They said they were not ready to have the baby, so they decided to have an abortion. However, they were both released as they have not broken any laws,” Col Sukkasem said.

Expect the newborn baby to show up in a garbage can in 5 months.