House Burglary in Soi Naam Jai

jaffacakes1

Woke this morning to discover that at sometime early yesterday evening a burglar had prised open the sliding glass doors on the ground floor guest bedroom of our house, rifled through the kitchen and stolen a small amount of Thai money( bowl of loose change), Foreign money and various valueless items and a piece of jewellery (an imitation of my wife's 2ct engagement ring).

I am on my way to report the theft to Chalong Police station and don't expect anything to happen but just wanted to post this is a warning to those in the Rawai area particularly to ensure that sliding doors are ground bolted even when in the house as they are very easy to open.

This was the most least succeed heist of the century with the total value at around £50 but could have been a lot worse had my more valuable items been lying around.

On a positive note this is the first time in a year of living here I have anything to complain about, just to ad

Some sliding doors can be simply lifted out of the runner at the bottom so they can be removed. I think it is possible to stop this by an adjustment screw on the edge, but I haven't done it because I have metal security doors on the inside.

Some sliding doors can be simply lifted out of the runner at the bottom so they can be removed. I think it is possible to stop this by an adjustment screw on the edge, but I haven't done it because I have metal security doors on the inside.

That's not correct. If the doors are closed then there is locking lip at the edge that prevents the door being eased out by lifting up. But often these doors are poorly measured and fitted so there is a lot of slack movement and it's usually easy to ease open these aluminium patio doors. A dead bolt is a simple and easily installed solution. But quite honestly these patio doors/french widows present no problem for an intruder with a screwdriver. The steel security doors are the solution, look horrible, but are secure.

That's not correct. If the doors are closed then there is locking lip at the edge that prevents the door being eased out by lifting up. But often these doors are poorly measured and fitted so there is a lot of slack movement and it's usually easy to ease open these aluminium patio doors. A dead bolt is a simple and easily installed solution. But quite honestly these patio doors/french widows present no problem for an intruder with a screwdriver. The steel security doors are the solution, look horrible, but are secure.

Yes, the lip on my left hand side doors may be there to stop the door being removed, but it doesn't - I've actually done it to get the rollers back on the track at the bottom. But if the doors are closed and locked together, it would be very hard to lift both at the same time and wiggle them so the lip doesn't do its job.

But my doors also have holes in the metal edge at the top and bottom - some kind of adjustment or device to lock the roller. But I haven't played with them.

The steel security doors are the solution, look horrible

Mine are a blue and gold with a pretty flower design tongue.png .

hidden dvr are very inexpensive these days, maybe a good investment for the area you live in

This product will boom, worldwide. This is what you want.

http://www.videofied.com/eu/en/home/

It's small, so it can be hidden - most of them are.

It's portable, or you can mount it, but it's transportable from home to home when you move.

It's wireless, so no cables through walls etc and the criminal can not cut any cables to stop the video.

You put a data sim card in it. When it detects motion, it starts the camera and sends that video to a monitoring centre, HOWEVER, I believe you can have the video sent to your own smart phone, where you can view it and record it and race home to catch the criminal. I believe they have an APP for this feature.

There is a small, wireless, control panel to turn it on and off, also program other features.

Security companies are promoting it because it sends real time video, therefore, prevents false alarms. Eg. the cat triggers a conventional alarm system.

I am not sure if you can put any sim card into it, but I think they are "sim unlocked."

It appears to be a good, small, wireless and portable security system where the video is stored offsite and there is no audible alarm to scare away intruders, thus increasing the chance of capture and/or recovery of your stolen property.

It's basically a DVR and alarm (your smart phone call is the alarm) in one device.

Of course, a mobile phone jammer could get around one of these, but in most cases, it would serve you well.

I will have to check if they now store the video onboard as well, on a memory card - I am not sure. They do have different models. I would say one of their models would also do this.

Perfect for Phuket, where you are never too far from home, and there is a rising crime rate. :)

I'll probably see some farang advertising them next week in the PG. :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan

Cleverly placed exterior motion sensor lights work well.

I believe in this as well. Or simply have some outdoor lights on all the time.

Even better would be if there would be an camera like flash if someone comes close to the home.

For slider door security just cut a strong piece of wood a 2x4 or a 4 be 2 depending on your nationality....

And jam it tight between the wall and the base of the moveable door this will prevent anybody from opening the door from inside or outside...

They make small serurity bars (light weight metal) to install in the same manner but in the middle of the door but they are <deleted>....IMHO

love the wifi/smart camera great idea...

• Like 1

For slider door security just cut a strong piece of wood a 2x4 or a 4 be 2 depending on your nationality....

And jam it tight between the wall and the base of the moveable door this will prevent anybody from opening the door from inside or outside...

They make small serurity bars (light weight metal) to install in the same manner but in the middle of the door but they are <deleted>....IMHO

love the wifi/smart camera great idea...

Some of these glass sliding doors are double doors. So, each door opens, from each end, at the door frame/brickwork..

You can use a steel rod or a piece of wood to secure the inner door, but you can not for the outer door because the steel rod or piece of wood would have to sit in the door track that is outside, so is useless.

^^^

You can install a lock on the sliding outside door, or (and better) long screws into a stud on the inside.

Yes. Just letting members know to check if both doors can be opened, from each end.

Funny how the things are changing on Phuket.

We may see beer bars and guest houses closing, and security equipment shops open up. :) :)