Thai Birthdays

smokie36

Its my lovely girlfriends birthday soon and obviously I have bought her a gift and will take her out for a slap up dinner. :wub:

It just got me wondering if anyone has experienced any different birthday related customs or traditions here in Thailand?

Kindly share as I'm looking for ideas.

Cheers! :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a Sterling suggestion ... whistling.gif

I've emailed MissFarmGirl and asked her for any suggestions.

If there is something either her or myself will come back to you.

But you do know, traditionally Thai's honour their parents on their birthday?

• Like 1

Whatever present you have bought her if it is something you want her to open in front of you then do it indoors for my experience is that they tend not to open in front of you. Just thinking if it is a ring before the meal would be better not during. Enjoy the night.

When my mum passed on I brought back some of here stuff. She was an avid Bridge player and had some fab playing cards in leather cases, new. Sooooooooooo, my wifes sisters birthday. Hmmmm, yeh, I will give one of my treasures to her, a double pack of leather bound cards thumbsup.gif . On handing them over, folk laughed and they were chucked aside. sad.png NEVER again.

Whatever present you have bought her if it is something you want her to open in front of you then do it indoors for my experience is that they tend not to open in front of you. Just thinking if it is a ring before the meal would be better not during. Enjoy the night.

Yes it is a western curiosity to expect a gift to be opened in front of me.....however.....she won't be able to resist....I think.....maybe she will prove me wrong.

:lol:

That's a Sterling suggestion ...  Posted Image

I've emailed MissFarmGirl and asked her for any suggestions.

If there is something either her or myself will come back to you.

But you do know, traditionally Thai's honour their parents on their birthday?

Really? It seems no matter how connected you are to Thailand, there's always a new surprise. My wife says its because mum hurt giving birth and theres a possibility of newborn not making it so respecting mum and dad is important for all the anguish and pain she endured. According to her its more of an older or traditional pov. That means having a big party to some, would be disrespectful to dear old mum... Amazing Thailand huh.

OK, another. A Thai friend, big noise in Thailand's sporting history, his birthday. Hmmmm, I thought. I am a farang so I will give him something from England as well as a present. I have a wee collection of Royal Crown coins. So I gave him one. Tossed aside. Will learn my lesson one day. Oh, I have now. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The main presents I've had from Thai friends over the years have been shirts.

One took me out for a meal with the family...... yes, I paid blink.png (Something many Thai people do too, take you and the family for a meal on your birthday).

Asking the current g/f what she, her sister and her parents do on their birthday(s)..... They go to the temple.

A nice little article on the topic by Richard B.

MissFarmGirl replied to me with a ... "Almost thing we do for our birth day is go to the temple for make merit or just

waiting when monk walk on the road every morning and then have party what ever with family or friends...."

Fairly much what that article said ... wai.gif

• Like 2

Many upcountry poor families don't acknowledge each others' birthdays in any way.

They may be aware of the usual western-based ritual of cake and song and prezzies from media, but it's often still a completely foreign concept, to the point that many elder Thais won't have any idea of what their birthday even is if you inquire they have to fetch their ID card to look it up. Coupled with the fact, young or old many don't keep track of their exact age either - not to be confused with the interesting way of counting years from conception rather than exiting the womb.

However with the younger ones once they get clued into the fact that you as a farang are likely to give them a little something on that special day, then of course it becomes a very important part of their culture 8-)

Not saying anything bad of course, only human nature, but just thought I'd explain in case others have had similar experiences and were puzzled by them. Bottom line with upcountry rural folk without exposure to western ways, don't expect it to be a big deal, anymore than Christmas.

• Like 2

Many upcountry poor families don't acknowledge each others' birthdays in any way.

They may be aware of the usual western-based ritual of cake and song and prezzies from media, but it's often still a completely foreign concept, to the point that many elder Thais won't have any idea of what their birthday even is if you inquire they have to fetch their ID card to look it up. Coupled with the fact, young or old many don't keep track of their exact age either - not to be confused with the interesting way of counting years from conception rather than exiting the womb.

However with the younger ones once they get clued into the fact that you as a farang are likely to give them a little something on that special day, then of course it becomes a very important part of their culture 8-)

Not saying anything bad of course, only human nature, but just thought I'd explain in case others have had similar experiences and were puzzled by them. Bottom line with upcountry rural folk without exposure to western ways, don't expect it to be a big deal, anymore than Christmas.

My gf is sufficiently clued up on Western culture for a lack of a birthday gift to land me sleeping in a box outside and barking at the local cats.

Really I would like to add something of Asian flavour to the celebration. :)

• Like 2

My gf is sufficiently clued up on Western culture for a lack of a birthday gift to land me sleeping in a box outside and barking at the local cats.

Really I would like to add something of Asian flavour to the celebration. smile.png

An Indian Curry for me. smile.png Including Bombay Potatoes. whistling.gif ..............clap2.gif

• Like 2

Really I would like to add something of Asian flavour to the celebration. smile.png

-

Cash, big wad of cash.

It's a western thing that this is not a thoughtful gift, I'm pretty darn sure Asian customs allow for screaming fits of giggling chortling glee upon receipt of such a gift, assuming of course it's large enough.

-

Cash, big wad of cash.

It's a western thing that this is not a thoughtful gift, I'm pretty darn sure Asian customs allow for screaming fits of giggling chortling glee upon receipt of such a gift, assuming of course it's large enough.

Yes, I am up for large Bombay Potatoes.

Poll please. smile.png ...........thumbsup.gif

-

Cash, big wad of cash.

Probably no need to do all this. Just wrap your carefully chosen present in HelloKitty paper and you'll be a star... smile.png

Hello-kitty-wallpaper-7.jpg

Birthday cake for all the monks? wub.png

Meh, those guys eat better than most of us. If you ever need to borrow a cup of sugar, drop into your local temple, its all there. Took my fil once he needed cleansing from his love of liquor(cant blame him, gets boring looking after sugar) anyway, we walked in and my eyes popped, it was like a monk version of all-you-can-eat.

Birthday cake for all the monks? wub.png

Meh, those guys eat better than most of us. If you ever need to borrow a cup of sugar, drop into your local temple, its all there. Took my fil once he needed cleansing from his love of liquor(cant blame him, gets boring looking after sugar) anyway, we walked in and my eyes popped, it was like a monk version of all-you-can-eat.

Better than that its never the same twice.....a birthday meal every day! partytime2.gif

• Like 1

If it was me Lady Pla loves Baht.Number 2 Man delivers BBQ on motor bike.Number 3 Perfume but she squirts me and says men.I do not know what it means but her nostrils are flaring.Happy Birthday Lady Pla I love you

• Like 1