I Was Mugged In Patong

andrewryan108

walking home at almost 5 am , near phuket palace, i was hit on the head by a 2 by 4. believe it was two katoeys who came up on a motorbike behind me, tried to steal my backpack which had a couple of laptops in it, it is my usual time and route to walk home. they did not get the laptops, but did creat a lot of blood, twenty stitches. many thai people stopped to help me, police were helpful, hospital soso would be my assessment. so warning to others, be careful at night.

Hmmm katoeys are on a roll last few weeks. :o Did you seen them or any witnesses see them?

my vision was kiind of limited for a few minutes. barely saw anything, remember seeing an arm and a couple of legs, believe there were two, believe they were asian, believe they were katoeys but would not swear to any of that. passerbys thai came quickly and were numerous and extremely helpful and kind, but no witnesses, fingerprints on the two by four i would imagine, for whatever it is worth.

i'm very sorry for you :D:D

is strange,really,in town phuket never hear like this

it is strange also that thai people stop for help you(i joke) :o:D

but,is very good that you are save,and now you feel better

i,m sorry,really,but be careful walk alone in night time,always friends together you,this is the rule in all the world about night time

regards :D

Edited by giulio

walking home at almost 5 am , near phuket palace, i was hit on the head by a 2 by 4. believe it was two katoeys who came up on a motorbike behind me, tried to steal my backpack which had a couple of laptops in it, it is my usual time and route to walk home. they did not get the laptops, but did creat a lot of blood, twenty stitches. many thai people stopped to help me, police were helpful, hospital soso would be my assessment. so warning to others, be careful at night.

Hope you're feeling better now but can I ask why you're walking around at 5am with 2 laptops?

Hope you're feeling better now but can I ask why you're walking around at 5am with 2 laptops?

Sure. I work at night to keep to a schedule from my home country. I did not have internet access where I was staying, so I usually take a motorbike taxi to Patong, finish up around 4 am or a little later, and enjoy the walk home to unwind, as a transition before sleep. That is in the past, fortunately I am doing ok, heading home soon, and next year will arrange for internet in my room wherever I stay.

At 5 in the morning on foot anywhere, have eyes behind your head and be wary of any interaction with anybody.

Glad your relatively OK,

Start carrying a piece of 2x4 of your own, you'll at least look a little more foreboding than a hapless backpacker, :o

Wow sorry to hear that!! One time this undercover tourist police/tuk tuk driver told me that there was a Katoey Mafia in Patong! Mostly pick-pocketing drunk farang men.

I to once had a guy on a motorbike try to block my motorbike and take the keys. He kept pointing at my little backpack and I tried to keep going. I ended up screaming and he left. I am not sure if he was Thai or Burmese or what, as he never said a word. This was at 3 in the afternoon. Some nice Thais ran out to help me.

I wear a full face helmet now and always a jacket when im comming home late at night, just to look a bit more unaproachable.

BUt really i still feel safer here then in Los Angeles.

Walking in the dark, one of those is very safe....and a BLOW with them is not very comfortable for the attacker.... :o

You have to hold them with your hand close to the light and strike with the long end....ouch!!!

LaoPo

Relatively speaking Phuket is pretty safe. Part of the reason I left Brazil and came to Thailand is because it is sooo much safer here. I was mugged/ pick-pocketed by a group of katoeys [ called "travisties" in Brazil] in Rio. They are big strong and very dangerous second only to the " criansas de rua" - " children of the street" who roam around in gangs with knives and high on glue. They got me once also.

Question..... to improve my health, I walk to work alot, and take strange routes where there are no cars / generally people....but worried about getting jumped.

I generally take different times, and different routes so no one can get a schedule on me, but in the case i do encounter some thugs....what would u carry with you ?

....what would u carry with you ?

See my post #10. You can hit them, if necessary, and blind them as well since it has a very strong light....

Mag-Lite torch (sp?)

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...

In the 22 years I have wandered the streets of Patong the lions share of muggings I have heard of or seen were always by Katoeys. They can fight like death adders so be ready for a good fight if you take them on. Most wise people only carry exactly how much they are going to spend for the night, one fool I know went out with 5000 Baht and got so shit faced I had to help him walk back. He kept falling over and a couple of Katoeys came to help me pick him up. His wallet went of course and I never forgot. I was only 22 and learnt quick about Katoeys.

Patong is full of great weapons, stun guns, knuckle dusters and every type of knife but I recommend you buy a long, thick steel chain as a necklace. You can get them at Big C right next to the food court near the door.

You wear it under your shirt and if trouble appears it can be removed and used like a whip in a very effective self defense. You can avoid trouble as it is a defensive weapon and won't kill someone like a knife might.

Knuckle dusters are ok but Thai law is very harsh on facial damage. My mate is a Karate expert and went to the aid of a Thai fruit vendor who was being harrassed by some English football fans who were all upset at England losing to Sweden a few years back.

He was challenged to a fight and knocked out one guy with a punch that split his head open like a melon. The guy also cracked his head on footpath and needed many stitches in his face from the punch.

To cut a long story short he was clipped 54,000 baht by the cops who arrested him. You may not be aware but fighting only usually attracts a 500 baht fine. This English guy who was so tough turned up crying at the Police station like baby about his facial damage wanting compensation as he was split from his lip to his eye.

I would not have paid but he didn't know and could not call me for help as he was in the Kathu slammer. The Police drove him to the ATM machine of course. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Most definately! Drinking and especially in excess makes you vulnerable to those looking for an easy mark. A route traveled to where the same people can count on you walking by at the same time everyday is also bad. And the time of day, especially in the late evening or early morning is when the negative element of society is lurking about. Change it up. I understand from your post that you're not drinking and you are up at that time for work or in time with your home country. Change the path you take from time to time. Even if it means going another block out of your way. Also try to choose the most lit up route. Keep your head up and be scanning all around. Keep your guard up! Buy a can of pepper spray and have it in your hand or where you can get at it fast. A simple walking stick can be used to defend yourself from such attacks also. A 2x4 is a weapon. I have heard stories like this and then the victim pulls out a gun and legally defends him or her self with deadly force. The law says "justifiable shooting" Of course when ever you carry any weapon for defense you need to be trained and understand exactly how they work as well as you need to understand the law and when you have the legal right to use such force. Take the necessary steps to be prepared or you can always carry a cell phone and dial 911 and be a victim and possibly die.