The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bookman, you memory plays you false.

There were times when the situation demanded it that the Australian team of which you speak played the same as England did last night and scored slowly.

Ponting was too good a player and too good a captain to have done otherwise.

You just remember the times when the run rate was high, and have forgotten the others.

I must have forgotten that one time in 20 years they scored at 2 per over.

It does not surprise me at all 7by7 that you fondly remember the time. laugh.png

Such comments do you no favours.

The difference is ,we are playing for today ,you are hanging onto the past.wink.png

I just want England to be all they can be...much like Australia were coffee1.gif

As do I, and that means not throwing caution to the winds and being bowled out for 47; like Australia at Newlands in November 2011!

The difference is ,we are playing for today ,you are hanging onto the past.wink.png

I just want England to be all they can be...much like Australia were coffee1.gif

As do I, and that means not throwing caution to the winds and being bowled out for 47; like Australia at Newlands in November 2011!

Were you/are you a big fan of Boycott's style of play?

The Australian bowlers just need to be patient and our batsmen will eventually get themselves out. The run rate is criminal. Not even trying to rotate the strike, this builds too much pressure.

7x7 your idea of test match cricket is both boring and flawed. The match position does not call for 1. whatever runs per over, it needs our batsmen to play sensibly whilst keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

How's my luck , just about to post and Peitersen cracks a couple of boundaries biggrin.png

• Like 1

Better Pietersen curbs his instincts until mid afternoon.

He will belt a few around eventually but Australia have only themselves to blame. Scoring over 500 looks great on paper but England are left with the target of a draw....and so will play for it.

Who can blame them?

Should have declared at 450 and tempted Emgland imo.

I am a fan of test cricket, and proper test cricket means playing sensibly.

The situation for England last night was not to lose wickets; unfortunately they lost two, though Bresnan should have reviewed, but that's another story.

This morning they are playing more freely, but they must avoid the follow on. Scoring at 4 an over, or more, but being bowled out for less than 327 would be stupid.

Scoring more slowly, and reaching that target is the right thing to do in these circumstances; even if it doesn't please some.

In their first innings Australia started slowly; Watson took 49 balls to score his 19 runs. Their run rate increased as time went on and the English bowlers and fielders became more frustrated and more tired. The run rate for their entire innings was 3.6.

Let's see what England's rate over the entire innings is before criticising them.

In their first innings Australia started slowly; Watson took 49 balls to score his 19 runs. Their run rate increased as time went on and the English bowlers and fielders became more frustrated and more tired. The run rate for their entire innings was 3.6.

Let's see what England's rate over the entire innings is before criticising them.

7by7 do you actually watch the games?

Australia scored quickly at the start. 15 overs they were 58 runs , a run rate of 3.8.

Rogers was powering along

Bookman, point missed. I'm not surprised. One player scoring freely, the other not. like England this morning.

I know that as an Aussie you would have liked England to have been 100 for 6 at the close last night, as an Englishman I'm glad they weren't. 52 for 2 was not good, should have been 52 for 0, but a lot better than 100 for 6.

England's rate this morning, 2.48. Is that acceptable to you?

Bookman, point missed. I'm not surprised. One player scoring freely, the other not. like England this morning.

I know that as an Aussie you would have liked England to have been 100 for 6 at the close last night, as an Englishman I'm glad they weren't. 52 for 2 was not good, should have been 52 for 0, but a lot better than 100 for 6.

England's rate this morning, 2.48. Is that acceptable to you?

Point missed? Your logic is mind boggling 7by7 blink.png

You said that Australia started slowly then picked up their run rate. I showed you actual evidence this was a false claim by yourself. Australia started with a fast run rate and it actually decreased by the end of the game. The total opposite of what you said.

I am more than happy for you to defend your slow run rate theory but please don't make up things to suit your case laugh.png

Here is your actual quote to remind you what you said.

7by7

I am a fan of test cricket, and proper test cricket means playing sensibly.

The situation for England last night was not to lose wickets; unfortunately they lost two, though Bresnan should have reviewed, but that's another story.

This morning they are playing more freely, but they must avoid the follow on. Scoring at 4 an over, or more, but being bowled out for less than 327 would be stupid.

Scoring more slowly, and reaching that target is the right thing to do in these circumstances; even if it doesn't please some.

I think you're making too much of avoiding the follow on. I'm not sure Clarke would enforce it anyway. The bowlers

would be tired and it would be better to make England bat on the last day and a half on a worn pitch.

The trouble with scoring so slowly, if there's a batting collapse, you could still be 200 hundred behind.

Sure be cautious, but don't dig yourself into a hole.

I admit that I expressed myself badly, but taking the Aussie innings as a whole, whist they started fairly quickly after losing a couple of wickets they slowed down and then, once established again, upped the scoring rate.

England scored slow last night as their prime concern was getting to the close without losing too many wickets; scoring was secondary.

Today, they have upped the scoring rate as the aim now is to avoid the follow on.

Test cricket is a marathon.

50 overs ODI is middle distance.

T20 is a sprint.

You can now continue taking the piss; water off a ducks back to me.

If Clarke wants to win this game, which he must to have any chance of winning back the Ashes, he must enforce the follow on if available to him.

The weather forecast for Monday is not good; rain most of the day. Clarke has to try and finish this game tomorrow, and he can't do that unless England follow on.

But the forecast for tomorrow is bleak as well, so a draw seems favourite right now.

I admit that I expressed myself badly, but taking the Aussie innings as a whole, whist they started fairly quickly after losing a couple of wickets they slowed down and then, once established again, upped the scoring rate.

England scored slow last night as their prime concern was getting to the close without losing too many wickets; scoring was secondary.

Today, they have upped the scoring rate as the aim now is to avoid the follow on.

Test cricket is a marathon.

50 overs ODI is middle distance.

T20 is a sprint.

You can now continue taking the piss; water off a ducks back to me.

Really I have not been taking the piss 7by7. That would be like taking candy from a baby...

If Clarke wants to win this game, which he must to have any chance of winning back the Ashes, he must enforce the follow on if available to him.

The weather forecast for Monday is not good; rain most of the day. Clarke has to try and finish this game tomorrow, and he can't do that unless England follow on.

But the forecast for tomorrow is bleak as well, so a draw seems favourite right now.

Well we agree on that point.

Bell and KP are building a big partnership here and Australia needs to get one of them.

Lyon started well this innings but IMO he is not test match material and being dispatched for multiple sixes doesn't help

I don't think we've got an attack to bowl England out twice, especially without a break IMO.

I don't think you can look too far ahead like on Monday. Keep an eye on it but you have to

take each game as it comes.

Realistically, the Ashes have gone and I think we should just try and win this match.

After the first 2 test's, I'd even take a draw.

• Like 1

Bell is a big wicket. Kp looking edgy now. Could be a collapse in the offing

Dream on...

Maybe lucky, may get England out in the first hour or so with less than another 34 runs...

Then the they have to continue out in field, fielders are going to be getting tired by mid afternoon, probably praying for rain.

If they miss the follow on, what's clarke going to do? a mad dash for 200, declare and pray it does not rain?

Dream on...

Maybe lucky, may get England out in the first hour or so with less than another 34 runs...

Then the they have to continue out in field, fielders are going to be getting tired by mid afternoon, probably praying for rain.

If they miss the follow on, what's clarke going to do? a mad dash for 200, declare and pray it does not rain?

As you say...Still 2-0 ,Aussies will need a miracle to go home without a spanking.

Dream on...

As you say...Still 2-0 ,Aussies will need a miracle to go home without a spanking.

We just need 3 -30 in the morning then send you lot back in....

Failing that, well , we still have a slim chance. Quick 200 and send you lot back in..

Dream on...

We just need 3 -30 in the morning then send you lot back in....

Failing that, well , we still have a slim chance. Quick 200 and send you lot back in..

I still don't think Clarke would enforce the follow on. Apart from fatigue for the bowlers, cannot imagine

our guys chasing down 200 on a last day against Swann and Co.

Prior and Broad in as well so no easy task to wrap up the innings.

Also looks like rain will play a part.

Hopefully can knock them over and have a lead of 150 plus. Then try and get 300 in front.

• Like 1

I still don't think Clarke would enforce the follow on. Apart from fatigue for the bowlers, cannot imagine

Hopefully can knock them over and have a lead of 150 plus. Then try and get 300 in front.

I cant see much advantage in the Aussies batting again.

Bowlers will be well rested overnight. ..of course they still have to take 3 wickets for 30ish before they can even have the option of enforcing a follow on. England could hold out for an entire session in reality

I cant see much advantage in the Aussies batting again.

Bowlers will be well rested overnight. ..of course they still have to take 3 wickets for 30ish before they can even have the option of enforcing a follow on. England could hold out for an entire session in reality

The way I see it, the advantages for batting again: we won't have to chase on the last day on a wearing pitch. We can dictate the pace

of the game and set a target. The bowlers have been out there for nearly a day and a half. Harris is injury prone. If we roll them early,

we can have a bat with not a lot of pressure on and give the bowlers a rest. It's made for a possible Warner onslaught, maybe even promote him up the order.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out soon enoughwink.png