The Ashes Tour 2013

I never said Beefy to be in place of anyone anyway, why the <deleted> you are taking the time to make an argument out of nothing is beyond me.

The whole world Xl could be different.The only thing any of them have in common was that they won the wisden cricketer of the year ...

And yes characters are deffo needed ,characters that can play a bit ,well,what more do you want?

I thought this was a friendly discussion on the merits of those included in the Wisden all time XI.

You said

What no Beefy??

I have simply put forward my reasons for why Sobers should be included ahead of him.

If you have arguments for why Botham should replace Sobers; present them and we can discuss them in a friendly manner.

If you do not wish to participate in this discussion any further, then don't.

But there is no need for aggressive personal attacks.

Edited by 7by7

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never said Beefy to be in place of anyone anyway, why the <deleted> you are taking the time to make an argument out of nothing is beyond me.

The whole world Xl could be different.The only thing any of them have in common was that they won the wisden cricketer of the year ...

And yes characters are deffo needed ,characters that can play a bit ,well,what more do you want?

I thought this was a friendly discussion on the merits of those included in the Wisden all time XI.

You said

What no Beefy??

I have simply put forward my reasons for why Sobers should be included ahead of him.

If you have arguments for why Botham should replace Sobers; present them and we can discuss them in a friendly manner.

Fair enough ,it wasn't meant as an attack!!!

i'm gonna make up my own alltime cricketing XI of nutcases ,piss heads,pot heads & brawlers ...Shouldn't be too difficult!!!

I just like Beefy!! & Flintoff & Tuffers!! ha ha!

You said

What no Beefy??

Fair enough ,it wasn't meant as an attack!!!

i'm gonna make up my own alltime cricketing XI of nutcases ,piss heads,pot heads & brawlers ...Shouldn't be too difficult!!!

I just like Beefy!! & Flintoff & Tuffers!! ha ha!

Come on, don't forget our Aussie yobs Characters as well. Dougie Walters, Andrew Symonds and of course Warnie.

For what it's worth, even though I didn't see Sobers play, just about every cricketer interviewed has said that Sobers

was the best by a long way. They reckon he could play purely as a batsmen or a bowler. I reckon Kallis is the only

other one who could do that. Having said that Kallis is as boring as watching paint dry so out of the recent players,

Beefy would be my pick.

Come on, don't forget our Aussie yobs Characters as well. Dougie Walters, Andrew Symonds and of course Warnie.

For what it's worth, even though I didn't see Sobers play, just about every cricketer interviewed has said that Sobers

was the best by a long way. They reckon he could play purely as a batsmen or a bowler. I reckon Kallis is the only

other one who could do that. Having said that Kallis is as boring as watching paint dry so out of the recent players,

Beefy would be my pick.

Let's not forget

Ian Chappell

Rod Marsh

David Boon

• Like 1

Despite him spending his final years living in Australia, Aussies here may not like this; but among fast bowlers; Harold Larwood.

In a career cut short by injury he took 1,427 first class wickets at 17.51, and scored 7,290 runs at 19.91 including three centuries. In 21 Tests he took 78 wickets at 28.35; as a batsman he scored 485 runs at 19.40.

As for characters; Fred Trueman.

Edited by 7by7

Hmmmm

Kallis and Boycott at the crease together.

There's a prospect to send one fleeing to the beer tent!

Yes, but how the Aussies would love to have guys of that caliber who

can bat for long periods of time.

Sadly, occupying the crease seems to be a dying art form with all of the Mickey Mouse

cricket around.

Hmmmm

Sadly, occupying the crease seems to be a dying art form with all of the Mickey Mouse

cricket around.

Test Cricket is a better game for the lack of Geoffrey Boycotts

Hmmmm

cricket around.

I agree with you but only due to a certain extent. Although Boycott was a master craftsman, he was

also very selfish. So selfish in fact that he was run out on purpose by his own team mate.

But, I still think that the art of occupying the crease is decreasing. Maybe it's more obvious in Oz

as we have only one really world class bat. I still think there's nothing wrong with slow days in

test cricket when it's called for.

I think Steve Waugh changed the face of test cricket when he decided to attack from ball one

whether with ball or bat. He would rather lose than draw and always played for the win.

Making 100 in the first session was the norm rather than the exception.

Having said that, with Gilchrest, McGrath, Warne and Co, in the side, it made it a lot easier.

I think generally, our English friends have been more conservative.

I agree with you but only due to a certain extent. Although Boycott was a master craftsman, he was

also very selfish. So selfish in fact that he was run out on purpose by his own team mate.

But, I still think that the art of occupying the crease is decreasing. Maybe it's more obvious in Oz

as we have only one really world class bat. I still think there's nothing wrong with slow days in

test cricket when it's called for.

I think Steve Waugh changed the face of test cricket when he decided to attack from ball one

whether with ball or bat. He would rather lose than draw and always played for the win.

Making 100 in the first session was the norm rather than the exception.

Having said that, with Gilchrest, McGrath, Warne and Co, in the side, it made it a lot easier.

I think generally, our English friends have been more conservative.

When I think of Boycott I think of dour and boring. He had an impressive test record with an average near 50 and and high conversion rate of half centuries to centuries. Despite that he is not the sort of player that crowds flock to watch

Even so, despite my tongue in cheek comment, I think that every team does need someone capable of occupying the crease; Jonathan Trott in the current England side for example.

Also, a long defensive innings to save a match can be very enthralling; Atherton, and Russell, in Johannesburg in 1995 for example.

Snicko, Hot Spot set to rise for Ashes

Cricket's latest technology gizmo, the real-time Snickometer, could make a surprise late entry to the game's decision review system in this summer's Ashes series after behind-the-scenes negotiations between the International Cricket Council, Australia and England.

The ICC has moved to permit a trial of the new device for the five-match contest between Australia and England starting at the Gabba on November 21 with the agreement of both countries.

And in another 11th-hour twist, Hot Spot is also likely to be revived as a DRS and broadcast tool in the Ashes, having been dumped last month after talks between Channel Nine and Hot Spot's Australian inventor unexpectedly restarted.

See Article Here

Edited by BookMan

Australian cricket legend Shane Warne says Alastair Cook's England captaincy overly defensive

AUSTRALIAN great Shane Warne maintained on Wednesday that England had won the Ashes in spite, rather than because, of Alastair Cook's overly defensive captaincy.

England, who had already retained the Ashes, won the fourth Test at Durham by 74 runs on Monday with more than a day to spare to take an unbeatable 3-0 lead.

The tourists, needing 299 to win, were well placed at 1-120 at tea.

But in an extended final session, Australia collapsed spectacularly to 224 all out, with England fast bowler Stuart Broad, who took 6-20 in 45 balls on his way to Test-best match figures of 11-121.

Warne, writing in Britain's Daily Telegraph, said Cook had been far too defensive early in Australia's second innings.

"He had a deep point, would move slips out as soon as there was a good shot through the covers and the bowlers were bowling too short and not full and at the stumps."

Warne added Cook, who has lost only one Test in 12 as England captain, was too reliant on England coach Andy Flower and the team's Australian bowling coach David Saker.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/australian-cricket-legend-shane-warne-says-alastair-cooks-england-captaincy-overly-defensive/story-fni2fnmo-1226697422022

Nice one one Warney...Just what Cooke needed that .

cheesy.gif

He likes to stir the pot when he can

I think Warney is probably bitter that he never got the captaincy.

IMO, he would've been a sensational captain whereas Ponting

was a poor one.

But you can't give the most important job in Australia to a bogan,

no matter how astute he is. So it rightfully, never happened.

Having said that, he is quite often right and I agree with what he says

about Cook's captaincy.

Nice one one Warney...Just what Cooke needed that .

cheesy.gif

He likes to stir the pot when he can

I think Warney is probably bitter that he never got the captaincy.

IMO, he would've been a sensational captain whereas Ponting

was a poor one.

But you can't give the most important job in Australia to a bogan,

no matter how astute he is. So it rightfully, never happened.

Having said that, he is quite often right and I agree with what he says

about Cook's captaincy.

He had controversies at the times Captaincy talks came up. Texting, sexting, drugs his mummy gave him etcetera.

He would have been a terrific Captain, aggressive and always looking for a win. He has a analytical cricket brain.

I didn't realise that he and Ponting had a rift between them. Reading his comments the otehr day when he supported Clarke was enlightening. He made mention of Ponting's 3 lost Ashes series. tongue.png

Ashes 2013: We thought all England served up was pies

England have issued an extravagant, 82-page list of catering demands for their players during the Ashes, including detailed recipe requirements and instructions for preparing nearly 200 different types of meals and beverages.

In a move that has raised some eyebrows among cricket officials around the country, the England and Wales Cricket Board has gone to unprecedented lengths to ensure the tourists' dressing-room fare is the match of a top-class restaurant.

Among the 194 dishes and drinks in the lengthy document, which has been widely circulated before the first Test in Brisbane are ''Piri-Piri Breaded Tofu with Tomato Salsa'', a ''Quinoa and Cranberry Breakfast Bar'', ''Mungbean Curry with Spinach'', and ''Pistachio and Ginger Biscotti''. Elsewhere, there are trendy ''superfood'' ingredients, such as kale and agave syrup.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ashes-2013-we-thought-all-england-served-up-was-pies-20131107-2x4eu.html

England have issued an extravagant, 82-page list of catering demands for their players during the Ashes, including detailed recipe requirements and instructions for preparing nearly 200 different types of meals and beverages.

In a move that has raised some eyebrows among cricket officials around the country, the England and Wales Cricket Board has gone to unprecedented lengths to ensure the tourists' dressing-room fare is the match of a top-class restaurant.

Among the 194 dishes and drinks in the lengthy document, which has been widely circulated before the first Test in Brisbane are ''Piri-Piri Breaded Tofu with Tomato Salsa'', a ''Quinoa and Cranberry Breakfast Bar'', ''Mungbean Curry with Spinach'', and ''Pistachio and Ginger Biscotti''. Elsewhere, there are trendy ''superfood'' ingredients, such as kale and agave syrup.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ashes-2013-we-thought-all-england-served-up-was-pies-20131107-2x4eu.html

The poor little things, are they bringing their mothers also? What's wrong with a pie, a few beers and a fag?

• Like 1

Warne critical of Clarke's off-field role

November 8, 2013

163553.2.jpg
Shane Warne and Michael Clarke have a close relationship but Warne believes Clarke must improve as a leader off-field © Getty Images Enlarge

Australia's captain Michael Clarke must improve as a leader off the field and redouble his efforts to create a happier team environment during the forthcoming Ashes series, Shane Warne has said. In a significant departure from usually glowing support of his "best friend", Warne has conceded the national team lapsed into an insular mode that recalled the doomed England teams of the 1990s under Clarke's leadership, before improving later in the previous Ashes encounter.

Warne made his critique of Clarke in a column for the Telegraph that also suggested England's captain Alastair Cook should be replaced by Kevin Pietersen or Graeme Swann if the tourists are to seriously challenge for the position of undisputed world No. 1. The floating of such a concept was not surprising considering Warne's earlier attack on Cook in an interview with English media, but his words about Clarke were more telling.

Clarke and Warne have had a close relationship ever since the younger man's early days in the Australian Test team. Always Clarke's strongest defender, Warne has very seldom offered any criticism of a cricketer he has mentored, most recently attacking Ricky Ponting for his quite balanced and detailed observations of Clarke in his autobiography. So his admission that Clarke must be more focused on the welfare of his team is notable.

"Clarke has Cook covered on tactics but where he must improve is in creating a happier team environment," Warne wrote. "The Australian team were noticeably happier at the end of the English summer and, as Clarke and Lehmann's partnership started to take hold, Australia played better. If we look back over the years to when England lost eight Ashes series in a row there were a lot of people in their side playing for themselves and their own positions. It was a selfish environment. This is what Clarke has to avoid at all costs.

"If you look at the last three Tests in the Ashes, and the recent one-day series in India, there were a lot more Australian players smiling and in form. It looks a happier team than during the ICC Champions Trophy in June and the first couple of Test matches in England but the work has to continue. To me Australia have to improve in more areas than England if they are to regain the Ashes. But if England want to be the best Test side in the world, then Cook has to be more aggressive and proactive."

While he pushed the point about Cook's lack of tactical flair and aggression, Warne said that he had been more critical of Clarke in private conversations between the pair than anything he had previously said publicly. He also offered the view that Australia's results over the years had reflected the standard of the captains who commanded the teams.

"This week I have been critical of Cook as a captain, maybe a bit harshly, as he has a great record," Warne wrote. "For your information, I am not paid by Cricket Australia and have no official role with them. Sure, Clarke is one of my best friends but ask him and he will tell you I am one of his harshest critics. I honestly believe that Cook has to improve tactically if England are to become the No. 1 team in the world again and I do not think too many people would disagree with me.

"I am also speaking from the experience of playing under some great captains - and some who were not so great. If you look at the leaders Australia had when we did well and when we struggled, it generally reflected the standard of the captains. If I had to choose a captain out of the England side it would be Kevin Pietersen or Graeme Swann. That may sound like an unbelievable thing to say after all the controversy of last year but I think KP has the best cricket brain in the team.

"Graeme Swann is good too, as we have seen from his Twenty20 captaincy of England. They are both imaginative, good readers of the game and take the aggressive option first, whereas Cook retreats too quickly. He goes very defensive when he should be stamping his authority on the match."

Warne has often said that Allan Border and Mark Taylor were the best two captains he played under, while being far more critical of Ponting and Steve Waugh. Border's record was poor for many years as the national team regenerated under his guidance, before Taylor took over and lifted the team to No. 1 in the world. Waugh and Ponting carried on the era of success, and both finished with better overall records than either Border or Taylor.

Edited by Will27

The poor little things, are they bringing their mothers also? What's wrong with a pie, a few beers and a fag?

Mods, should this be moved to the gay sub-forumwhistling.gif

It's a bit embarrassing in Cairns when you sit down and order a Pie and Pokie. biggrin.png

What is a pokie mate?

I think it is like a slot machine. Don't look at me as I have no idea.

Edited by chooka