Furnishing a house - where to shop?

Rice60640

What are some of the main shopping areas or stores in Chiang Mai to purchase home furnishings? We need sofa, dining table and chairs, lounges, beds, night stands, lighting fixtures, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, etc. etc. etc. The taste is more contemporary but we also love some of the traditional teak furniture in Thailand. Thanks in advance!

Ban Tawai for real wood

Superhighway starting from Nimanheimin up to Charoen Muang road has a few big shops in between, on the left.

Appliances, Siam TV on south side of moat and Tesco Lotus on superhighway.

Lamps and lighting fixtures Lamptitude on Kaew Nawarat road

Last year I needed to fit out a new house I'm renting. Shopped around a lot comparing prices. Surprisingly, Power Buy (airport Plaza and Kad Suan Keow) had good specials, and a discount if you used the "1 Card" and a 3% discount for using VISA.

I bought a good Samsung washing machine, a large fridge and a LED flat screen TV, all for ฿30,000 ($1000.00).

LG Microwave with internal grill at TESCO - no one else in town had these.

Bedding in Chiang Moi Rd at a corner bedding and towel store.

Computer desk, lo-boy, (6 drawer cupboard) stationery cupboard, also v. handy for printer and 8-bar clothes drying rack on wheels, all at one of the Indian owned stores in Chiang Moi.(last Indian store on the left)

All plastic ware (waste baskets, laundry baskets, buckets, storage boxes) in the lane next to Bangkok Bank in Chiang Moi Rd (part of Warawot Market).

ZEBRA brand s/steel cookware from the agents in the same lane, facing the river. Single plate induction stove for Zebra ware at Power Buy for ฿900.

If you like teak furniture go to Ban Tawai before going anywhere else, 15 minutes outside of town.

Anyone know of anywhere similar in Kalasin, Roi Et or Khon Kaen?

Give the Den Chai/Phrae area ago.for contemporary and teak furniture. Big savings over Ban Tawai. On highway 11 about 2.5 hours south of Chiang Mai.

GPS 17.974794, 100.014596 . Great trip and scenery spend the night or two.

Masuk mentions the Indian (and some Thai) stores in Chiangmoi Road. These are good at the cheap end of the market. I bought glass-fronted bookshelves there about ten years ago. They are made of reconstituted wood, but look nice, have survived a trip from Chiangmai to Buriram, and are still looking fine.

For the electric appliances, Siam TV in the old town is reasonable, but their service is no good, and there are several other big shops, one in Huaykeow Road and one on the Mae Rim road that I remember.

If you like teak furniture go to Ban Tawai before going anywhere else, 15 minutes outside of town.

Give the Den Chai/Phrae area ago.for contemporary and teak furniture. Big savings over Ban Tawai. On highway 11 about 2.5 hours south of Chiang Mai.

Do they deliver or do you have to drive a truck to the place? I remember Baan Tawai prices were not inexpensive.

Do they deliver or do you have to drive a truck to the place? I remember Baan Tawai prices were not inexpensive.

all the businesses deliver for a fair rate. 5000 bt for kitchen set in dc and its 12000 bt in cm. 50,000 bt of furniture from dc to surin, 700km, transport cost 7,000 bt.

Edited by khwaibah

Masuk mentions the Indian (and some Thai) stores in Chiangmoi Road. These are good at the cheap end of the market. I bought glass-fronted bookshelves there about ten years ago. They are made of reconstituted wood, but look nice, have survived a trip from Chiangmai to Buriram, and are still looking fine.

For the electric appliances, Siam TV in the old town is reasonable, but their service is no good, and there are several other big shops, one in Huaykeow Road and one on the Mae Rim road that I remember.

Along the same lines, I highly recommend IDEA FURNITURE at 1/9 Rattanakosin Road (tel: 053-412588-9). Quality is good; prices are right; discounts are generous.

• 3 weeks later...