Who do Thai kids looks up to?

kurnell

Most of my heroes when I was young were sports stars (cricketers so sorry if you septics don't know them) like Dennis Lillee and Greg Chappell, then later bands like Cold Chisel and Midnight Oil. So, who do Thai kids look up to?

Thai kids looks up to their idols just like everywhere else. Popular thai artists or sports heroes that you never heard of but they will know them after watching on thai tv.

I don't think Thai kids look up to foreigners at all. I don't understand where this misperception comes from. If this was in fact true, and they did look up to foreigners, they would grow up and listen to the things foreigners tell them. But they clearly don't. They don't even know how to paint a wall here for Christ's sake. Simple simple things here just result in total failure time and again because of a lack of foreign role models imo. Anyway.... I think this is a huge misperception. Don't confuse intrigue (of something new) with role models. I am very intrigued by Shakira and her booty, but I don't necessarily "look up" to her.

Edited by utalkin2me

I have no idea who the current idols of Thai wairoon are and could care less, and although I agree that Thais will be more likely to idolize Thais, popular culture and sports stars certainly aren't valued as "role models" as much as simply delivering the emotional buzz that type of entertainment provides, and I imagine at some point the likes of Lady Gaga and David Beckham have figured somewhere on the scale even though they aren't Thai.

People "respect" the things they value. I don't think a perfectly-painted wall surface ranks high on many people's list of priorities, and even if farang value that kind of thing higher than the average Thai certainly isn't some universal moral principle on which to judge a culture.

In the past I've asked Mathayom 4 students and about half said the usual suspects like pop/sports stars, both Thai and foreign. Most of the rest looked up to their father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, uncle or aunt with a few, 3 out of 400, looking up to Nelson Mandela, Bono and Kofi Annan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by asupeartea

In the past I've asked Mathayom 4 students and about half said the usual suspects like pop/sports stars, both Thai and foreign. Most of the rest looked up to their father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, uncle or aunt with a few, 3 out of 400, looked up to Nelson Mandela, Bono and Kofi Annan. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Certainly not soap stars

In the past I've asked Mathayom 4 students and about half said the usual suspects like pop/sports stars, both Thai and foreign. Most of the rest looked up to their father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, uncle or aunt with a few, 3 out of 400, looking up to Nelson Mandela, Bono and Kofi Annan. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I only know my 2 nephews and a niece, and I doubt that they "look up" to anyone. Completely self centered and selfish. Perhaps they "look up" to themselves.

I don't think Thai kids look up to foreigners at all. I don't understand where this misperception comes from. If this was in fact true, and they did look up to foreigners, they would grow up and listen to the things foreigners tell them. But they clearly don't. They don't even know how to paint a wall here for Christ's sake. Simple simple things here just result in total failure time and again because of a lack of foreign role models imo. Anyway.... I think this is a huge misperception. Don't confuse intrigue (of something new) with role models. I am very intrigued by Shakira and her booty, but I don't necessarily "look up" to her.

Errrr.... You need to look up to a foreigner to be able to paint a wall?? Poor stupid Thais who doesn't understand to learn from us all knowing farangs.

Anyway, I'm not sure it does any favours for kids in Europe who are looking up to people like Justin Bieber or Britney Spears.