Bringing belongs through flight baggage? - Customs Tax?

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I will be moving to Thailand this August to live and work for at least the next 2 years. I am aware that if I ship my belongings I will need to have them arrive when I recieve my work permit which should be at the end of September.

Now I really need to bring my imac for work and was wondering if I check this in as baggage will I be called up to pay customs duty if searched at the thai airport? At that point I will only have a non immigration visa.

I am tempted to bring the bulk of my possessions via extra baggage (PS3, Media Netop PC, iMac, games etc etc). That way I do not need to wait for all the shipping, lost items etc etc. Is this possible?

Cheers

Let's get this question answered.

1. Is there any theoretical/legal possibility that a customs duty is payable on used personal electronics for someone entering the Kingdom?

2. Out of our flights in and out of Thailand what percentage of the time have you had your travel luggage inspected by customs?

I don't know about 1 and personally don't care, because for fifteen years my answer to number 2 is ZERO.

Edited by boosta
  • Like 1

If any of the electricals described end up in your case, they are likely to get damaged or nicked.

I doubt you'll be hit for taxes but there's only so much you can take on board much less carry.

If it were me, I'd leave the PS3 and PC at home and bring the iMac as hand luggage.

imac is bit too big as hand luggage. I have bought a flight case for the imac so should be able to withstand a fair bit of punishment. I know it is not ideal but do not have much choice as I need it for work.

PS3 etc wise I am not too fussed about, would be nice to have with me rather than wait 8 weeks for visa and shipment to arrive etc. The reason I asked about tax is that I know to ship normally you need to have work permit to not have to pay the customs fee, I assumed it would be same on checked in luggage.

20 yrs.me and the wf.carried breakable goods in a suitcase and if you take care with the packing eg.bubble wrap,towells if you are lucky as we were nothing damaged or broken.we always traveled on thai air and not once did we ever have to pay excessive baggage,when we did come bak to thailand we told them[thai air] and they let us through with almost 60kilo'sso with a work permit carry on and hold luggage you should manage most.one thing i wouldnt do is ship cause you will find out its goner cost you at the port of entry.

If any of the electricals described end up in your case, they are likely to get damaged or nicked.

I doubt you'll be hit for taxes but there's only so much you can take on board much less carry.

If it were me, I'd leave the PS3 and PC at home and bring the iMac as hand luggage.

I( have on numerous occasions in the last 7 years brought in via luggage,vacuum cleaners , bosch sds drill, normal drill, soldering irons, etc etc, luggage often weighing 50kilos and not once been stopped or had a single item stolen. All of these were big heavy electrical items especially the bosch sds drill. On many occasiong the only things in my bags were tools all new.

Emirates business and sometimes economy class from Dubai.

As we know, many departments here interpret laws...well...differently. Especially true with the customs department. I read an article in a logistics magazine saying the customs department is basically legalized corruption. They can, and do, just about anything they want. Just because you go through one time, or last year, without any problems, doesn't mean you will this time.

I've traveled into Thailand many times with serious excess luggage. Have brought in everything but the kitchen sink. I've always had my bags scanned, but never had a problem. They went through a couple of them one time when I had a large stereo receiver. I think they just wanted to see what it was.

The biggest problem you'll have is bringing in alcohol/cigs over the legal amount. Just had a friend get fined 6,000 Baht each for the 2 bottles he had over the limit. Another friend saw a guy coming from Seattle who had a cooler full of frozen lobsters. He got fined big time.

I always make the stuff look like it's used. No original packaging/boxes, take off all the tags, etc. Last trip I had 3 laptops, a new camera, a new smart phone, new tablet, etc, etc. No problem. But again, your mileage may vary. TiT!!

As long as it isn't still in its box and wrapped in polythene, there should be no reason for customs to question your electronic gear. If they do stop you, tell them you have had it for years and always carry it.

I have never been stopped anywhere in the world and asked for proof of purchase on electronic gear in my baggage, Although this is a remote possibility, I wouldn't worry about it.

That is great advice thank guys. I know it is not ideal but we don't really have a lot of stuff and so do not want to really have to rely on sea shipping too much for the essentials. I think we will have our standard one 23kg luggage and pay the extra for a bag each, mine being the imac and hers being a suitcase with all my ps3, media nettop etc whistling.gif

We will then have a small amount sent via sea freight such as books for our work, kitchinwear etc.

Out of interest is there a way to get affordable insurance for checked in luggage?

Cheers