Democrat Tankhun wins Don Mueang by-election: unofficial results

webfact

DON MUANG BY-ELECTION
Democrat Tankhun wins : unofficial results

The Nation

30208467-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The opposition Democrat Party yesterday gained the upper hand in Don Muang district after its candidate Tankhun Jitt-itsara snatched a narrow victory over the ruling Pheu Thai Party's Yuranunt Pamornmontri in the MP by-election for Constituency 12, according to unofficial results.

Tankhun was leading with 32,710 votes against Yuranunt's 30,624 when 99 per cent of the ballots were counted. Constituency 12, which covers most of Don Muang district, has 108,495 eligible voters.

They showed up in force at polling stations, despite the downpours in many areas of the constituency.

Pumipat Damrongkiatisak, director of the Don Muang District Office, said that at least 70 per cent of eligible voters braved the weather to cast their ballots. The voter turnout was 72 per cent in past general elections.

The Election Commission is expected to release the official election results within seven days, he added.

Tankhun also won the advance voting on the previous Sunday. Of the 168 ballots cast, 102 went to No 8, Tankhun's candidacy number, and 59 to Yuranunt's No 9.

One vote each went to two candidates from little known parties. There were two spoiled ballots and three "no vote" ballots. The advance ballots were tallied at the Don Muang District Office.

In the July 2011 general election, Tankhun lost to Pheu Thai candidate Karun Hosakul. However, the Supreme Court, at the recommendation of the Election Commission, disqualified Karun for framing his closest rival Tankhun.

The EC then called the by-election to fill the House seat vacated by Karun, who was deprived of his electoral rights for five years.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-17

• Like 1

Well the Dem, (number 8 is a Thai lucky number) have won the unwinnable by election by around 8%, but the good news doesn't end there. The very low numbers of spoilt and no votes indicates this was more than a loss through protest votes, voters weren't sending a message that the PTPO should adjust their policies or leadership but in fact are saying, its time for PTP to go.

"There were two spoiled ballots and three "no vote" ballots. The advance ballots were tallied at the Don Muang District Office."

The PTP have lost 5 of the last 6 by elections.

Edited by waza

I saw a photo of Thaksin on the phone in the other paper. I expect he is a little rattled by this significant loss. He's telling the party to provide figures for the pledging scheme scam.

What comes out in the next day or so should be interesting.

I don't think Dear Leader is sleeping well these days somehow.

and a majority of Thais polled believe the PTP politicians should repay the rice scam loses not the tax payer.

Edited by waza

Now, If K. Tankhun can avoid the appearance of corruption for even one term, this district may give up its traditional loyalty to the PTP on a longer term basis. Time will tell if this man can avoid the temptation of easy money for 'doing deals'. Good luck DM district with your gamble on the Democrat Party; you are brave indeed.

Not long before we start to hear the cries of "Foul! Tankhun was wearing the wrong colour under ware and must be disqualified, "He smiled at a voter and therefore unfairly influenced him to vote for him....disqualify"! facepalm.gif

Interesting, just wondering how long it will be before we see tarit being more balanced. He seems to be fairly quick to follow the 'wind of the day'.

Now, If K. Tankhun can avoid the appearance of corruption for even one term, this district may give up its traditional loyalty to the PTP on a longer term basis. Time will tell if this man can avoid the temptation of easy money for 'doing deals'. Good luck DM district with your gamble on the Democrat Party; you are brave indeed.

You would prefer mad dog Karun?

Edited by waza

Anyone want to bet on how long it will be before we hear the inevitable complaints of irregularities, cheating etc?

Not long I expect. A recount, complaints that obscure or newly invented rules were breached, appeals to the EC etc etc. If all else fails DSI will be called in to investigate - sure to come up with something.

Graciously accept the democratic will of the people - not on your nellie!

• Like 2

Though i am pro yellow and mostly anti red this is just a small victory and if elections were held today the democrats would still loose. I think the democrats are the lesser evil as there is no party that is not corrupt and does not want their place of the corruption feeding frenzy.

I really hope those big loans and the rice scheme will be stopped as that is a far larger scale corruption and will damage the country, but if they get their hands on that money they have enough to win future elections as they have enough money to pay off people.

Too bad there is no decent party free of corruption in this country.

• Like 1

I wonder if Yuranunt has the ability to get his previous job back (PTP Party List MP) that he had to give up to contest this election.

I don't believe so.

To my understanding under the electoral law when a party list MP resigns -which he had to do to run in DM - the next person on the party list who was not elected in the previous general election is then sworn in to the vacancy for parliament.

ie. If at the last election Party A won 12 party list seats and a member resigns during the term of the parliament then candidate 13 takes the vacancy. If candidate 13 cannot, then candidate 14 etc.

• Like 1