DSI net closing in on 'real' luxury car owners in Thailand

webfact

Tarit said the luxury vehicles' current owners would initially be regarded as the damaged parties if it could be proven they had no knowledge of the fraud. There would also be grounds for current owners to sue the companies which sold them the vehicles, he said.

So, untouchables are indeed involved then.

yes they are sir,,but alas still UNTOUCHABLE,,,,

A news item on IN Channel states a petition is to be presented to the DSI asking they investigate Chalerm's Rolls Royce as it's claimed all the cash quoted in respect of it doesn't add up. If anyone is to be treated nicely, get help and be given the benefit of the doubt it will be this pillar of society although we can be sure DSI will have nothing to do with the petition.

I don't know if Chalerm is superstitious but for Chinese the car number 4444 is VERY unlucky. In Cantonese the word for 4 is " Sei " but being a tonal language a variation of pitch makes it " Sei " meaning Dead. Chalerm's number means death multiplied four times. I don't know many Chinese who would be happy even getting into the car far less owning the number.

Who cares what the stupid superstitions and beliefs of the Chines are, they are so insignificant. from eating tigers cojones to silly number beliefs.

Actually they are important in Thailand, not least because Chinese blood owns and controls a major chunk of the Thai economy already, and their cousins will own the rest eventually. A lot of hotels and condos do not have a 4th or a 14th floor. Car registrations and telephone numbers containing the number 4 are not so popular in Thailand. Just look around. Have you never wondered why everyone tries to get an 8 in their number??

it is sad,but if someone said the number 4 was in the winnimg lottery numbers what a dillema for them,,,,hahahahaha,,,,,that silly old wives tale would soon be out the window,id bet my town halls on that,,

Tarit said the luxury vehicles' current owners would initially be regarded as the damaged parties if it could be proven they had no knowledge of the fraud. There would also be grounds for current owners to sue the companies which sold them the vehicles, he said.

So, untouchables are indeed involved then.

Who else could afford these cars but the untouchables? The quote you have posted is the get out of jail free card right there for all the bigwigs to see and react to. Not a single one of them will be prosecuted because they all 'had no knowledge of the fraud'. Proof? Well; 'ask any of my wive's and they will tell you i never knew ' !

A news item on IN Channel states a petition is to be presented to the DSI asking they investigate Chalerm's Rolls Royce as it's claimed all the cash quoted in respect of it doesn't add up. If anyone is to be treated nicely, get help and be given the benefit of the doubt it will be this pillar of society although we can be sure DSI will have nothing to do with the petition.

I don't know if Chalerm is superstitious but for Chinese the car number 4444 is VERY unlucky. In Cantonese the word for 4 is " Sei " but being a tonal language a variation of pitch makes it " Sei " meaning Dead. Chalerm's number means death multiplied four times. I don't know many Chinese who would be happy even getting into the car far less owning the number.

I have a "4444" on a Hummer H2... It suits the car very well. In the auction several other people competed... But maybe they were not Chinese. I am not either smile.png

attachicon.gifchapink.jpg

I believe this is Police Captain, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm's carriage of preference. A baby pink Bentley.

All 2222 plain to see.

This is from the latest story today on TV..

"Former senator Ruangkrai Leekitwatana filed a complaint with the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), charging Mr Chalerm with evading tax for the Rolls Royce, carrying a licence plate Por Or 4444, which he recently drove to Government House."

Does he actually have two of these silly cars ?????

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. Now DSI will have hundreds of car owners turning up to claim they only thought they were getting a fabulous deal and in the spirit of " help ' and the benefit of the doubt DSI will take it as proof of innocence and that's an end to it.

But will they take their car ? is not fair if person buy a car,think he done a good deal,,, and goverment take car. Must take the importer ,and claim him then.. and leave the car alone

Maybe someone should tell them that if the tax were a "reasonable" rate - buyers would just pay it and low and behold, surprise of surprises, imports would increase, 100% of taxes would be paid on 100% of cars imported - all because it would be easier to pay the tax than to avoid it. When you have an absurd tax rate - again... surprise, surprise - people will try to figure out ways to avoid paying it. All politicians should be required to take Econ 101 before being eligible for any office.

This is the point, well said. I suspect however that the astronomical tax rate is related to the desire to make luxury vehicles beyond all but the highly privileged. It cannot surely be to protect local manufacturers because they are not capable of producing similar products.

This is from the latest story today on TV..

"Former senator Ruangkrai Leekitwatana filed a complaint with the Department of Special Investigation (DSI), charging Mr Chalerm with evading tax for the Rolls Royce, carrying a licence plate Por Or 4444, which he recently drove to Government House."

Does he actually have two of these silly cars ?????

If I understand correctly he owns 5 cars, it would be a safe bet that none would be outside the luxury category.

With declared assets of 178 million he cant own much else.

If one buys a "Grey-Import" car, like Benz, BMW etc., the the first and most obvious consequence is that the actual Dealer network will not extend any warranty with regards to these vehicles.

THAT in itself will prove that these vehicles are not 'kosher' when it comes to the manner in which these were imported. ALL of the vehicles imported in this manner have been imported "Illegally" - there's no rocket-science at work here at all.

Like some Posters wrote before: How come we hear nothing about the DSI investigating the Custom's Department, because that's where the 'smell of fish' is, by far, the strongest ! ! ! !

coffee1.gif